Weight of canopy camper AND gear (either build out or stowed cargo)?

Roscoe Reporter

I am looking at buying a Harker Outdoor EDC wedge camper for my 2022 Chevy 3500 Crew Cab DuraMax. I know the truck will handle a lot of weight, but wondering what others are carrying as far as weight that includes the camper AND the gear or build out?

Please share your weight and thoughts how it affects your off road performance. Pictures of your built out, are always welcome.

I am building out my interior with 1/2 inch Baltic Birch Ply and simple systems (sink/plumbing, portable grill, catalytic heater, and window A/C, 206 ah lithium battery, and porta potti). My estimated total "wet" weight with a Harker Outdoor EDC wedge camper is about 800 lbs. Is this an issue? Your thoughts? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20240321_154942948.jpg
    IMG_20240321_154942948.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240412_115828511.jpg
    IMG_20240412_115828511.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240412_115609884.jpg
    IMG_20240412_115609884.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 19

trabs00

Lifetime Social Distancer
Is my truck pop up interior build out scheduled Next?
😁
but seriously, that looks like a really well designed not over built interior, nice work!

Some thoughts:
What suspension are you running on your truck?
Any armor?
How much weight in tools etc. do you carry?
Full size spare?
How much extra gas and water?

These other things slowly creep up the weight you carry.
What is your definition of off-road use?

I have a heavily armored 1/2 ton Tundra that my previous setup was with RTT canopy, decked drawers, awning, spare 37" tire, gas and water, steel bumpers, winch lots of tools.
My truck was quite a bit over door payload and very capable off-road and always felt safe on the highway.
king 3.0s and custom leaf packs, E load tires help.
I don't want this to turn into a payload discussion (rabbit hole)

Your truck can handle a ton more than mine but I would think about all of these other things that bloat your truck.

While you have payload, making the truck too heavy can impact your performance off road. You'll have to air down a lot more (I do all the time as I spend a lot of time on sandy desert roads when I'm out in the SW)image.png

Last edited:

Roscoe Reporter

Wow, that is a great build out. Everything you need to get yourself in and back out again. Color me impressed. Nice, nice, nice.

Stock suspension. My definition of off road is when do my tires touch dirt 😂.

Really nothing deep off road. Graded roads. No Extra spare tire, deep off road I would carry two at all times. No personal affects as of yet. Yes some extra water and gas. Nothing major.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. It really helps.

Last edited:

Roscoe Reporter

Is my truck pop up interior build out scheduled Next?
😁
but seriously, that looks like a really well designed not over built interior, nice work!

Some thoughts:
What suspension are you running on your truck?
Any armor?
How much weight in tools etc. do you carry?
Full size spare?
How much extra gas and water?

These other things slowly creep up the weight you carry.
What is your definition of off-road use?

I have a heavily armored 1/2 ton Tundra that my previous setup was with RTT canopy, decked drawers, awning, spare 37" tire, gas and water, steel bumpers, winch lots of tools.
My truck was quite a bit over door payload and very capable off-road and always felt safe on the highway.
king 3.0s and custom leaf packs, E load tires help.
I don't want this to turn into a payload discussion (rabbit hole)

Your truck can handle a ton more than mine but I would think about all of these other things that bloat your truck.

While you have payload, making the truck too heavy can impact your performance off road. You'll have to air down a lot more (I do all the time as I spend a lot of time on sandy desert roads when I'm out in the SW)View attachment 829532
Very nice set up. See my next comment. Good job, sir.

Spencer for Hire

I am looking at buying a Harker Outdoor EDC wedge camper for my 2022 Chevy 3500 Crew Cab DuraMax. I know the truck will handle a lot of weight, but wondering what others are carrying as far as weight that includes the camper AND the gear or build out?

Please share your weight and thoughts how it affects your off road performance. Pictures of your built out, are always welcome.

I am building out my interior with 1/2 inch Baltic Birch Ply and simple systems (sink/plumbing, portable grill, catalytic heater, and window A/C, 206 ah lithium battery, and porta potti). My estimated total "wet" weight with a Harker Outdoor EDC wedge camper is about 800 lbs. Is this an issue? Your thoughts? Thanks.
Very nice. Can you share a little more on the AC? Type, shore power, lithium setup for off grid, etc. Thank You

Roscoe Reporter

Very nice. Can you share a little more on the AC? Type, shore power, lithium setup for off grid, etc. Thank You
The AC is a 5K unit. Pretty cheap, from Lowe's, on special for like $139.00. I am not going to be running this unit off the 206 Ah LiFoPo4 battery I have, but will run it off a power pedestal or a generator in a pinch. If you are intending to use an AC off grid, with batteries, then a 12V unit would be the way to go. They make semi truck units for around $600 with a split unit system. I will be putting the unit on a slide and sliding it part way out an access door while operating. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-13 201902.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-13 201902.png
    746.9 KB · Views: 7

whizbang

Nice build out. 800 pounds sounds about right. Your truck won't even know it's back there.

Here's mine. The canopy is about 200#. The Kitchen unit is 80#. The seating/sleeping/storage box is 73#.

I just got back from a 4 day fishing trip. My loaded "wet" weight was 480#. My dinky half ton didn't know it had a payload. Gas mileage one way was 19.1 mpg.

The canopy/topper is only temporary. I have a Lone Peak wedge camper on order.

Attachments

• F150 Snugtop Truck Canopy.jpg
    F150 Snugtop Truck Canopy.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 8
  • Micro RV almost done.jpg
    Micro RV almost done.jpg
    555.7 KB · Views: 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears