Weird axle

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I bought this trailer today and it has an axel like a torsion axel but uses a wrap spring instead. Does anybody know the name of this kind of axel? It's a stought little 4x8 trailer with 15" wheels 5 on 5.5 pattern.
trl4.jpg

trl1.jpg

tlr2.jpg

trl.3.jpg

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
That doesn't look like a great idea. No friction like a leaf spring, and no rubber hysterisis like a rubber axle, so it might bounce a lot.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Anything I google with torsion yields the new stuff. Anything I google with wrap spring gives axle wrap stuff. ??? I bought it yesterday and have it stripped down. It needs 5 wheel studs, lug nuts and a Ford or Jeep rim due to loose lug nuts but the bearings and seals all look great. I think your right about the 50's because the 1 7/8" tongue is made out of cast. I better swap to a modern 2" coupler to be safe. I just welded piece of angle on the drop gate because it was drug down the road at some point but every thing else seems perfect. It even came with nice LED lights and nice tires on it. I could reuse the plywood deck but 2x6 planks are the plan after paint. It's sure is a strange axle but it pulled great and doesn't seem to have a lot of miles on it.
300 was a little high but thats Colorado for you and it was stored inside. When I'm, done I'll have a nice refurbished 4x8 with drop down gate on a strong frame and strong axle. I hope...

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I think that it's a great axle idea, no idea how they work in real life. I've seen them used under towable cement mixers, concrete pumps, and big mobile air compressors.

I would seriously consider adding a shock to the spindle end of each trailing arm. Shoot for a mounting position that has the shock body 90* to trailing arm at full compression.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I think that it's a great axle idea, no idea how they work in real life. I've seen them used under towable cement mixers, concrete pumps, and big mobile air compressors.

I would seriously consider adding a shock to the spindle end of each trailing arm. Shoot for a mounting position that has the shock body 90* to trailing arm at full compression.

I like it as well. I do however see one issue. It has no swivel in the middle so for it to absorb a bump both sides will have to compress. If you could figure out a way to put a center bearing so it can operate as independent suspension it would be ideal. Put an arm on the axle and use a horizontal shock for best ground clearance.

RonL

Adventurer
This style is used a lot on bigger trailers were the "rubber" torison style is not strong enough.

Is there any markings or tags the give weight rating?

How it the trailer handle on the way home?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I like it as well. I do however see one issue. It has no swivel in the middle so for it to absorb a bump both sides will have to compress. If you could figure out a way to put a center bearing so it can operate as independent suspension it would be ideal. Put an arm on the axle and use a horizontal shock for best ground clearance.

The axle could be acting like a torsion spring. So you have anti-roll as well as load bearing.

Momrocks

Adventurer
That doesn't look like a great idea. No friction like a leaf spring, and no rubber hysterisis like a rubber axle, so it might bounce a lot.

Those are actually pretty good axles. I have seen them on larger equipment trailers. They are just a mechanical interpretation of rubber torsion axles. I think they pre-date the rubber torsions we're familiar with, probably the inspiration for the rubber torsions.

If you could figure out a way to put a center bearing so it can operate as independent suspension it would be ideal.

The ones I remember do act independently already. IMHO, this would be a nice set up once a shock absorber is fitted...depending on the spring rate that is.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
The axle could be acting like a torsion spring. So you have anti-roll as well as load bearing.

That is just too heavy of a tube to handle having the spring attached like that to have an torsional properties. The ends it rotates on are a fixed bushing or bearing.

It has some give but it is effectively a rigid suspension that will work in unison on both side regardless of the side that hit the obstruction becasue of the fixed mounting points. .

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Just wanted to say thanks to a guy named Ted in Colorado for the F150 rims. I posted on another site but can't thank him there due to me getting banned. Seems they don't like any negative comments about men who like boys. Ted actually is following this forum because he is building a trailer out of a Jeep tub. Got any picts Ted? And many thanks for the rims! They worked out perfect! I got the new floor and tongue installed I'll post after shes all purdy with new paint.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Now I have to sell the little beast because I'm moving. Do you think $600 is too much to ask on Craigslist? This is how it came out so you can see what you can do with a cheap Craigslist find and some work.
trailer.jpg

trailer3.jpg

trailer2.jpg

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: If you keep it and have OBA, or a handy portable air supply (12vdc) then you can handle most road conditions by reducing the trailers tire air pressure, at least that works STUPENDOUS on my off-road trailer

I go from hiwy 40 psi, to washboard 20 psi-stops bouncing and crabbing

:costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

OOPS, didn't catch the last post !!!

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Just got 600 for it so I'll be putting together another one when I get settled. A 4x8 is just a wee bit small for a couple of dirt bikes and gear. The next one I do will be bigger and more multi purpouse. I spent at least a two weeks of spare time but made 175. Not worth it but it was fun and I'd do it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan