Weird RTT question

Eric K

Observer
I am pondering a RTT, however I am a photographer and standing on my roof comes in handy. Does anyone know if there is a RTT that you can actually stand/lay down on when it's down?

1MK

ExploreDesert
As in when it's packed up and the covers on it? I don't see why not, as long as you're not jumping up and down on it, I think it'll be fine.

millerfish

Adventurer
As long as it is a fold over type RTT I would think its no issue. I have a Tupie and its strong enough to stand on but is a little unstable on the non hinged side due to the mattress compressing.. Also the ladder might create a bit of an obstetrical...

photo nomad

Adventurer
I am pondering a RTT, however I am a photographer and standing on my roof comes in handy. Does anyone know if there is a RTT that you can actually stand/lay down on when it's down?

If you look up James Baroud on YouTube there is a video of them riding around on top of one of their fully opened hard shell models. So I imagine closed it would be just fine. May want to check with them first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Don't know about other brands but I've stood on my Tepui in the folded positions a few times. There's a framework underneath the flooring that you can feel, I try and step on those because I don't think there's much support in between. If I were planning on regularly standing on it, I'd probably mount a sheet of plywood or metal to distribute the weight better. My only concern would be cover tearing on the ladder if you stepped on it wrong.

surferdude78

Observer
Tepui Ruggedized

You mean like this? Saw this on Tepui's Facebook page yesterday.

If so, I'd call Tepui & inquire about their Ruggedized models with the heavy duty anti-skid aluminum base. I have their Kukenam Ruggedized & can attest that base is about as strong as they come.

Attachments

• 11225278_10206995371467492_5308023900121558322_n.jpg
    11225278_10206995371467492_5308023900121558322_n.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 19

Eric K

Observer
Yep, just like that! Though looking at it, how did he get up there? No visible ladder, that looks like it took some work.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
Yep, just like that! Though looking at it, how did he get up there? No visible ladder, that looks like it took some work.

I'm guessing it was the ground->bumper->spare tire ->roof move. I used to do that on my FZJ80.

Regarding the OPs query- Assuming you are on the leaner side, you could probably get away with it on my of the fold-over RTTs. I'd say based on your desire to shoot from a higher vantage point that one of the folder RTTs with the "skylight" opening would afford you the same ability once camp had been set.

Box Rocket

I do that all the time with my Tepui Tent. I frequently stand on it to take photos. Another feature I like from Tepui is the Sky model tents that have ceiling windows. I have used these numerous times to take photos when the tent is setup because I can stand inside the tent and through the open top.

Let me know if you'd like more information on any of the Tepui tents and I can help you pick the right one and take your order too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior