Welding On ARB Bullbar

Zam15

Explorer
I am thinking about having my ARB bumper brackets welded directly to my frame where the three bolts are. I am looking to get the most strength possible out of the bumper. I have already had a bad recovery that bent my frame where the ARB attaches to the frame and only have two of the three bolts holding it on...

Are their any negatives about doing this? I want it to be a step above the end-cap mod so I will never have to worry about the front end strength again.

I will still be able to remove the bumper from the brackets so that should not be an issue.

Also does anyone know a good/affordable welder in the SD area that could do this for me?

Thanks for the advice,

Derek

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I am having some side bars made for my ARB bar, that will run from the ARB bar to the sliders. You might consider this, I am very sure it will strengthen up the ARB bar considerably.

Zam15

Explorer
With the help of an awesome fellow ExPo member: :bowdown:
56K Warning:
DSC00002-3.jpg

DSC00003-5.jpg

DSC00006-4.jpg

DSC00007-6.jpg

DSC00008-5.jpg

DSC00009-5.jpg

DSC00010-5.jpg

DSC00011-7.jpg

docjake

Observer
My solution to the end caps with my 07 was to take 1/4 bend it on both ends and weld it after the bends. You can see in this picture where the added steel was welded in and I had to change some of the other brackets were mounted.
IMG_0208.jpg

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more pics.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
With the help of an awesome fellow ExPo member...

I'm curious what inspired the 'fully welded' instead of the traditional end-cap mod? The nice thing about easily replaceable crush-cans (the accordian formed mounts you welded to the frame) is that they can be replaced for a reasonable $$$ if/when they get tweaked from a wreck or a bad recovery situation. That said its pretty rare to need to replacement.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I'm curious what inspired the 'fully welded' instead of the traditional end-cap mod? The nice thing about easily replaceable crush-cans (the accordian formed mounts you welded to the frame) is that they can be replaced for a reasonable $$$ if/when they get tweaked from a wreck or a bad recovery situation. That said its pretty rare to need to replacement.

Ditto - if you ever need your bumper you will likely need it straightened or replaced. How much extra effort will the weld create if that ever becomes true?

Chance favors the prepared mind...
:ylsmoke:

Zam15

Explorer
Ditto - if you ever need your bumper you will likely need it straightened or replaced. How much extra effort will the weld create if that ever becomes true?

Chance favors the prepared mind...
:ylsmoke:

As I sad I had a bad recovery and the bumper mounts no longer worked properly. The end cap mod is great but I had an issue with every bolt on the passenger side. The strength of the bumper mounts feel 1000% better than the way it was before.

If I have an incident that results in the the "crush cans" actually being crushed I would need a whole new bumper if something caused that kind of damage. Would just chop off the old mounts and have something custom made.

It is now part of the truck and no longer held on with a few loose bolts.

It may not work for everyone, but I love the results. I am no longer worried about the bumper getting ripped off the truck when I need it most.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
As I sad I had a bad recovery and the bumper mounts no longer worked properly. The end cap mod is great but I had an issue with every bolt on the passenger side. The strength of the bumper mounts feel 1000% better than the way it was before.

That makes sense, I didn't realize you had some existing damage.

If I have an incident that results in the the "crush cans" actually being crushed I would need a whole new bumper if something caused that kind of damage.

Not necessarily, I've sold a couple pairs of the crush cans, the bumper in both situations was cosmetically fine, the crush cans had taken the brunt of the damage and needed replacement. Regardless for your situation it sounds like you found a perfect way to fix what you had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears