Well kitted Econoline. no affiliation

I've been following this one for a few months and have some thoughts about it. Here's my question: What do you think a reasonable price would be for this rig? I have been in contact with the owner and am actively looking for a late model V10 4x4. 125k seems nuts to me but I've playing in Vanland since they were cheap and am wondering if I've lost touch with the market. Attached is the build sheet pdf.

Attachments

• 2VANISH Sportsmobile Van.pdf
    6.8 MB · Views: 109
Dunno.
I hate to admit, this is awesome a v10 with <50k miles with it being this clean. My wife hates vans but honestly this is probably one of the nicest I've seen as far as being the v10. Not diesel, not underpowered etc.
I sold a V10 Ujoint van last year and it was fantastic. One of the most reliable vehicles I've wheeled but it was a short body low roof and we needed something a bit bigger. This fits the bill but I just can't get my head around the price. I don't think I would feel comfortable paying more than 75k for a build this old even with the low miles and maintenance records. There is just to much that can fail in these older Sportsmobiles. Miles of wires and so many fuse boxes and controllers. How long until the expensive stuff needs replacing. It's a gamble.

trabs00

Lifetime Social Distancer
I sold a V10 Ujoint van last year and it was fantastic. One of the most reliable vehicles I've wheeled but it was a short body low roof and we needed something a bit bigger. This fits the bill but I just can't get my head around the price. I don't think I would feel comfortable paying more than 75k for a build this old even with the low miles and maintenance records. There is just to much that can fail in these older Sportsmobiles. Miles of wires and so many fuse boxes and controllers. How long until the expensive stuff needs replacing. It's a gamble.
Yeah, basically for me $75-80k...
Engine and body I wouldn't be too concerned, like you say, it's the little things in the conversion that could add up to a lot of $$ and difficulty in repairing

Yeah, basically for me $75-80k...
Engine and body I wouldn't be too concerned, like you say, it's the little things in the conversion that could add up to a lot of $$ and difficulty in repairing
Exactly. The Ford stuff is all good but everything else is dicy. I'm having anxiety just thinking about tracing wires under carpets to replace a cooked charge controller or trying to find a wire that has rubbed bare and is blowing through old wafer fuses. lol

zip

I prefer social distancing.
I have been a van guy since I first got my driver's license almost 50 years ago. Started with a 1962 Ford Econoline. Then moved in to Syncro VW Westfalias. In 2003 I had SMB West build me a E350 RB50 Q4WD PSD 7.3 Pop Top. I was very dissatisfied with the quality of the build, the Q4WD, and the customer service. I decided that my next rig would be a fixed top and EB. I bought a used 03 Roadtrek C3500 and had Weldtec put their 6 inch lift on it. It is 2WD. I have been very happy with it, and meets most of my needs, but I am not going to have it converted to 4WD. For me, I feel the E350 is the best vehicle, and don't want to go back to a SMB.
This is what I am planning for my next build.

Good luck with your decision.

I have been a van guy since I first got my driver's license almost 50 years ago. Started with a 1962 Ford Econoline. Then moved in to Syncro VW Westfalias. In 2003 I had SMB West build me a E350 RB50 Q4WD PSD 7.3 Pop Top. I was very dissatisfied with the quality of the build, the Q4WD, and the customer service. I decided that my next rig would be a fixed top and EB. I bought a used 03 Roadtrek C3500 and had Weldtec put their 6 inch lift on it. It is 2WD. I have been very happy with it, and meets most of my needs, but I am not going to have it converted to 4WD. For me, I feel the E350 is the best vehicle, and don't want to go back to a SMB.
This is what I am planning for my next build.

Good luck with your decision.
Thanks for your input. I have no experience with Sportsmobile but have heard enough stories to make me hesitate. I’ve thought about going that route too but I wheel my vans fairly hard and want to stick with a class B. That is awesome setup though. I drove the hell out of my Ujoint conversion and it held up well. I did have some breakages but Chris stood behind his components. He compensated me for repairs and sent me replacement parts very quickly.

Blowby

I think 86Scottys eval is pretty close,but I would maybe go as high as 80-85.
We also have a 2010 Sportsmobile V10 which is approaching 60K miles and in excellent condition and you wouldn't believe how many people have asked me if we would sell.
I believe a lot of the interest in these is because people are tired of seeing the Sprinters etc and want a more capable offroad van.
Quality of build is somewhat debatable but the van itself and four wheel components have been great.

I think 86Scottys eval is pretty close,but I would maybe go as high as 80-85.
We also have a 2010 Sportsmobile V10 which is approaching 60K miles and in excellent condition and you wouldn't believe how many people have asked me if we would sell.
I believe a lot of the interest in these is because people are tired of seeing the Sprinters etc and want a more capable offroad van.
Quality of build is somewhat debatable but the van itself and four wheel components have been great.
Yeah I have years of seat time in the 4x4 Econoline platform and months of time in a 4x4 sprinter. There really is no comparison in off road capability. That said the sprinter is SO MUCH more comfortable on road. It is almost worth losing the off road capabilities. As far as this build is concerned I think you all have confirmed what my gut was telling me. 70-80k is a realistic fair market value. I doubt the seller will agree but who knows. If anyone knows of a 5r100 V10 van for sale at a reasonable price please shoot me a DM. If I can find the right van I’ll just go ahead and build another one from scratch.

trabs00

Lifetime Social Distancer
I have seen some in person, and personally I think a 2011 SMB interior build is dated in appearance, and weight of interior setup for what you get. But that's probably since I've been in a few buddies sprinters that were built out with crazy $$ during covid.

I do think the U-joint conversions seem solid, I would just want a different build out of the interior with something more modern.

I have seen some in person, and personally I think a 2011 SMB interior build is dated in appearance, and weight of interior setup for what you get. But that's probably since I've been in a few buddies sprinters that were built out with crazy $$ during covid.

I do think the U-joint conversions seem solid, I would just want a different build out of the interior with something more modern.
Yeah sprinter interiors will ruin you. My wife and I borrowed a 2023 Storyteller from a friend for a few months this spring and it was AMAZING except we couldn’t get it into some of our favorite spots In the Eastern Sierra. Just not capable enough off road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior