Western US Exploration/Visit trip 30 Apr- 11 May 13

BADDANDY

Adventurer
My oldest had her college graduation scheduled for 4 May in Utah, so I thought why not make the trip an adventure trip. I decided to hit Moab for 3 days before graduation, then 2 days for the garduation, Vegas for 1 day to visit my mom, then SoCal for 3 days to visit my old AF bases and house, then friends and hopefully get in a MBR, then spend however time I needed to hit some memorials, mines, and ghost towns in the CA desert. All objectives were met except one trail I didn't run as it was added in at the last minute and I forgot about it after 10 days on the road as I used one GPS for pavement that doesn't show Routes, and one for the trail that does and this one I didn't use until after missing the trail section. If I would've known the cool and rain from here(WA) was to follow me for these 13 days, I would've made this a Death Valley trip, oh well, some day. I spent 2 nights with family, 3 at campgrounds, 2 at hotels, 3 at friends house, and 2 dry camped. All in all a great trip! From the family I haven't seen in awhile, friends that make me feel like I never left, the folks I ran Slickrock with, to the Toyota group in the Slickrock campground, to the Rangers at Manzanar, and to Steve and Frank for giving me the mine tour, thanks!
Enjoy;

Near end of Day 1 Idaho.

DSCF4310.jpg

End of Day 2 Canyonlands NP/Deadhorse SP

DSCF4313.jpg

The Eye of the Whale 4x4 trail Arches NP Day 3

DSCF4324.jpgDSCF4325.jpg
DSCF4326.jpg

Last edited:

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Slickrock Day 4

DSCF4339.jpg

Drive to and attend graduation Days 5-6

DSCF4345.jpg

Visit mom and change oil and rotate tires Day 5

Visit my 2 old AF bases (George/Norton) and my old house on my drive to my friends house Day 6

DSCF4349.jpgDSCF4352.jpg
DSCF4353.jpg

3 Days spent in Redlands CA and got a MBR in.

2013-05-07_13-45-24_535[1].jpg

Last edited:

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Visited an old X-15 crashsite memorial, Randsburg, Manzanar Interment camp, and a R/R memorial Day 10.

DSCF4356.jpg2013-05-08_12-08-32_40[1].jpg
DSCF4358.jpgDSCF4359.jpg
DSCF4365.jpgDSCF4367.jpg

Last edited:

BADDANDY

Adventurer
I camped at Reward mine which is across the highway from Manzanar. The next morning, 2 guys who are rockhounds and know the mines like the back of their hands, invited me for some exploring. I took up the offer and spent hours inside the mines. It was awesome! Day 11.

DSCF4372.jpgDSCF4378.jpg
DSCF4386.jpgDSCF4391.jpg
DSCF4396.jpgDSCF4405.jpg

Last edited:

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Bodie Ghost town SP and Masonic mines were on my 12th Day and last day before the run home.

DSCF4417.jpgDSCF4420.jpg
DSCF4423.jpgDSCF4424.jpg

Last edited:

BADDANDY

Adventurer
You enter Bodie from the west, buy if you exit to the north, you can hit the Masonic mine complex on the way to Bridgeport (I-395), so I did. I got a little stuck on a snowbank, but got out after some digging and rock placement. There was a hidden bypass that I missed too! I kept an eye out for ones from then on which I had to take once later on.

DSCF4436.jpgDSCF4438.jpg
DSCF4440.jpgDSCF4449.jpg
DSCF4451.jpgDSCF4455.jpg

Last edited:

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Camped one last night near a closed FS campground along Hwy 139. I pulled in after dark and I'm glad I can mount the tentcot on the trailer cause all the animal noises were freaking me out. The next morning as I was packing, a flock of vultures were circling me and landing in the treetops. Hmmm!

DSCF4457.jpg2013-05-11_08-02-35_840[1].jpg

Last edited:

rainstatebear

Adventurer
Those caves looked really neat. Bet the heart was racing a bit in the snow. Thanks for sharing. By the way I see we are neighbors up here.

BADDANDY

Adventurer
They held all kinds of different rocks to collect, even Gold and silver were visible. The snow stuck was caused by my panicky driving. I live behind Bethel HS.

teddyearp

Adventurer
Nice pics and report! Bet being stuck out there by yourself was a pucker moment, especially with the trailer. Got myself stuff on a small snow back with panicky driving once as well.

And hey, we're almost neighbors as well, hehe.

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Thanks and hello. I was "Oh S^^&" at first, but then just hatched a plan that worked. Having been stuck and having fellow Jeepers been stuck over the last 7 years of trail riding almost every weekend lends to lots of "Been there, done that". I just didn't want to have to unload and use every piece of equipment to do it and was also worried that the 15 ATVers who had come this way earlier would show up and see me in my predicament.LOL In the end I only needed gloves, shoes and shovel. I aired down to 10psi all 6 tires, stacked rocks to keep the trailer on course, and dug snow out from in front of 3 Jeep and one trailer tire.

DSCF4439.jpgDSCF4441.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior