What about expedition trailers?

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Has anyone used an expedition trailer?

I've seen a number from South Africa and Australia, and one or two from the U.S. Adventure Trailers

I can see some advantages in cargo hauling, fancy kitchen setup, etc.

But what about drawbacks? May be some limitations in what areas you can access, possibly a hindrance to backing out of a "situation."

What other limitations do you see?

Ed

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I agree Ed,
I have been wondering about the same thing myself.
The expanded cargo space would be great. I can see using a trailer on a flat trail or somthing with few technical obsticals but when it gets tight it could be a tricky hindrance. I've pulled plenty of trailers of many sizes and I'd hate to back up around a corner and over a boulder!

Anyone have any real world experience?

60seriesguy

Adventurer
The trick to an expedition trailer is to design (or buy) the right dimensions. I converted an ex-military M416 1/4 ton trailer for expedition use and one of the KEY modifications was to extend the tongue, which was originally very short. This not only made it *much* easier to reverse with the trailer hitched, but also prevents the body of the trailer from hitting the Land Cruiser if/when the trailer jacknives.

See attached picture, his name is Junior and it's been a 10 year project for me. Pretty much all that remains from the original trailer is a modified tub, the lunette hitch and half of the original frame. The axle, suspension, tongue, tailgate, landing gear, lockable lid, cooler cage and fenders are all custom. Carries 10 gallons of fuel in jerry cans(lockable mounts), 15 gallons of fresh water in an underbody tank, a 5lb. bottle of propane on the tongue, and a 45 qt cooler on the cage. MARES expedition tent mounted on the lid, gas-assist shocks on the lockable steel lid. Wheels and tires match the Land Cruiser, fenders are reinforced tubing and mount a shovel and axe securely. All stainless steel hardware, custom cargo net on the inside of the lid, and the inside is spray-lined.

I'm getting ready to paint it to match the Cruiser's new color, I'm picking up the paint tomorrow.

Attachments

• package deal.jpg
    package deal.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,395

Scott Brady

Founder
I have used trailers for about 10 years now, and currently have two. The one critical design requirement for expedition use IMO is that the trailer have similar suspension compression to the tow vehicle. A trailing arm, coil sprung arrangement with good shocks really improves things.

That has always been my biggest complaint, is the rutted, corrugated roads where the vehicle could travel at 30mph to smooth the corrugations, but the trailer can only travel at 10mph because of the poor suspension.

I talked with Adventure Trailers at SEMA, and they are designing a new, high clearance, long travel unit that will compete equally (or better in some cases) with the premium trailers from Australia. I will let you know when I can get my hands on one for a test.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Nice trailer 60seriesguy.
Looks like you've put a lot of time and thought into it.
What type of hitch arangements did you consider? Why did you choose or reject a hitch?
The Adventure Trailer folks offer some multi-axis hitches that are beefy but quite pricey. What about a hook/pintle?

Ed

60seriesguy

Adventurer
Thanks, folks, it's definitely been a learning experience, I've done and redone things to the trailer based on my intended use and budget, which hasn't always been the same.

I re-used the lunette/pintle-hook hitch arrangement from the original M416, and it's worked fine, I'm using a factory Toyota pintle hook that fits pretty tightly around the lunette ring, keeps clunking to a minimum.

In terms of it following me everywhere, I don't normally take it out on very technical runs, but then again, I find myself less and less interested in rock crawling and a lot more interested in dirt roads that lead to middle of nowhere! I'm actually in the middle of changing out shocks on the trailer to improve the handling, and it took me a while to figure out the right PSI for the tires. It also helps that I don't overload the trailer, I prefer to balance out the weight of cargo with the Land Cruiser.

One feature I built into the trailer is the ability to leave it at a campsite securely locked and inmobilized, so I can use the Cruiser for side trips without having to worry about the trailer. All external accessories are lockable and the steel lid locks in a way that blocks the tailgate, too.

I missed the last forum meeting because my Cruiser is at the tail-end of a 6-month drivetrain swap (Cummins intercooled turbo-diesel!), but I'll drag the little moneypit out to the next one for sure. I miss Arizona every day of my life.

Cheers!

Henry

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
Scott,

How about pictures of your trailers in action? :clapsmile

BMAN

Adventurer
Henry! Dude, so good to see you here. You're painting the Princess eh? Someday hopefully my 60 will live up to be half of that rig. I look at a pic of her evry night at home on my desktop and dream... Hopefully someday I'll have the little Princess. I'm stoked that you didn't sell her back when you were debating it. What color is she gonna be? I finally picked up a tent and once mines runnin the trailer build will start. Come back to AZ any time bro. We'd be happy to have ya.

60seriesguy

Adventurer
One day, BMAN, one day I'll be back somewhere with the Sonoran desert as my backyard again!

Today my wife ordered me six spray cans of automotive paint, same paint code as the Princess's new color. The plan is to strip the trailer down and paint it in my garage...or better yet, in the garage of the still uninhabited spec home right across from my garage! I'll do that in January when I get back to Texas.

60seriesguy

Adventurer
I'm in expedition hell! :)

Seriously, I'm in Austin, TX, great place to raise a family, safe, good cost-of-living ratio, great job. It's just really far from public lands to explore, the entire @#$%&* state is in private hands!

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
60seriesguy said:

Seriously, I'm in Austin, TX, great place to raise a family, safe, good cost-of-living ratio, great job. It's just really far from public lands to explore, the entire @#$%&* state is in private hands!

I feel your pain. Lived in San Antonio for 5 years. Going there I thought oboy lots of places to offroad (4x4 & XR350). Wrong, hardly any public land to play in. All those "miles and miles of Texas" are private. Padre Island and some river bottoms was about it. At least your in Austin, the most civilized part of TX.
Love your trailer. Know anything about the Canadian trailers. Sound like a great deal to me. http://www.futurelogistics.ca/AftermarketSales.html
BX

Suty

Adventurer
60seriesguy said:

60. I feel your pain also, I am in the DFW area. There are a couple of options for you. 1 if you want some plain ol 4 wheel'n Try Barnwell Mountain Rec area Near Tyler. It is a Four wheel Drive and ATV Park with Trails Rated so you don't get over your head and can't back out. They have camping also. 2 Go to the Big Bend National and State Parks, you can do alot of exploring out there. Hope this helps, Tu Compadres, Suty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman