What app to cache or download satellite maps

bossman429

Adventurer
I just got my iPad and took it out for a little run through some local wildlife areas to try and get used to it and motion x gps. I spent a good bit of time doing tutorials first. But I know motion x can't download satellite maps. Only topo and road maps.

Is there an app that can download detailed satellite maps that can be used out of cell range, and update your position as you travel?

Thanks in advance all.

Surfy

Adventurer
MotionX is able to Download satellite Images.

I just completed my 20'000km transafrica (westroute) - and using MotionX and an iPad as navigation Solution.

You find Details about in my blog.

Surfy

bossman429

Adventurer
Maybe you have an older version? I certainly don't have that ability. I have motion x gps hd. Am I missing something?

I think they had some issue with using google maps and now you can't download satellite images

Surfy

Adventurer
Google dont allow the download of satellite images anymore, therefore motionx has to disable this future.

But you can download "Bing Hybrid" oder "Bing Satellit" stuff without problems

MotionXdl.PNG

Here is the directlink to a blog entry about: http://transafrica2012.blogspot.ch/2012/09/navigation-karten-fur-afrika_11.html

Surfy

bossman429

Adventurer
We must have different versions. I don't have that option. I think. Gps kit is a good app, pricey but looks like its all I want

Surfy

Adventurer
I have tested again to download - with the actual Version 20.0 - youre right - no download of Bing stuff anymore :-(

RockTrout

Fly Fishing & Exploration
Bing has recently started to change the licensing and ability to download tiles across many platforms. It is a pain on multiple levels!

RobRed

Explorer
V20 of motion x GPS HD removed bing. If you've got v19 I'd stay there. I did.

I have GPS kit and it has sat image maps. Nice app but interface not near as good as mx.

YukonRob

Adventurer
I have GPS kit and it has sat image maps. Nice app but interface not near as good as mx.

Loaded GPS Kit earlier this week. The 'squawk' feature sounds quite useful - curious to know your impressions if you've used it. If it does what it says, I can see many applications.

Humvette

Adventurer
i just experienced this!!! I have a wifi only ipad mini and i bought a garmin glo. I tried to use them today but no map on the Motion X???

Humvette

Adventurer
no maps at all. It is a gray screen with black grid pattern. I just downloaded the GPS Kit HD but it does not have any turn by turn direction like the motion X does. I want motion X but with cool maps :( :( :(

RobRed

Explorer
Ok you are confusing the apps.

Motion X GPS HD has no turn-by-turn, designed for traditional waypoint nav, maps get cached for no-network conditions

Motion X Drive HD, has turn-by-turn, designed for road use and REQUIRES internet connectivity

GPS Kit HD is similar to Motion X GPS HD

Read my iPad Nav FAQ http://forum.tlcfaq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26

robgendreau

Explorer
++1 on Gaia GPS. I used Motion X and bailed in favor of Gaia; it allows you to use a bazillion types of maps (at least here in USA). It has OSM and OCM, Google, CalTopo, NPS visitor, historic maps (sometimes cool to look at a 60 year old map of the area you're in), NZ topo, etc etc. I really like to use the USFS visitor maps too. Some of this stuff is available by subscription, but worth it. Probably has more available than PDF Maps by Avenza, which is also pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears