What are the cons of a 3rd gen 4runner

goalie39

My previous vehicle was a 98' 4Runner limited and I put over 200k miles on it. No problems beyond the usual maintenance -- the paint could have been in better shape, but I didn't take the best care of it. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a stock vehicle that does better off-road (except Jeep Wrangler of course). I have a 2007 4Runner now, which is nicer around town and a bit roomier inside, but not as good off-road (the 98 4Runner has excellent ground clearance, and the locking diff is great, although I found I rarely used it). The V6 has adequate power, a little more would be nice.

The only thing that drove me nuts about the '98 4Runner was the small fuel tank and the fuel warning light that came on after only about 200 miles. Solid reliable truck, worth the extra $$$ if it has low miles.

red87

Adventurer
One thing to plan on doing is installing an external transmission cooler. The stock unit is located in the radiator and is known to fail, allowing your coolant and trans fluid to mix. Its an easy mod and not too pricey (~$80) and addresses the only real weak spot. You'll see similar front travel numbers to your Blazeland kit with some uniball UCAs and extended coilovers.

troyboy162

Adventurer
didnt read it in here anywhere, but if you wheel them you will break CV axles. Its the weakest link in the drive train and can be fixed in 30 minutes on the trail. Axles are also only $50ish used so its not really a big deal as compared to dana 35 on a normal jeep.

I'm talking wheeling though so if you stay on the green and blue trails you will not encounter any issues.

McFly2003

Adventurer
Most of the main points have been covered, but I thought I'd throw in my $.02 having recently sold my '01 supercharged 3.4 in favor of a '10 5th gen trail edition. let it be known that while I love my 5th gen, not a day goes by that I don't wish I still had my 3rd gen as a toy.
Things I miss:
reliability, durability, build quality, capability (far fewer computer aids to get in the way off road, especially with the andy mod done), more affordable after market, and lastly, I just felt like my 3rd gen had more personality.

Things i don't miss:
Fuel economy, fuel economy, fuel economy. bone stock, it's not to bad, but between the small tank and any modifications you do to the tire size or weight of the vehicle, be ready to throw down at the pumps. Add to that the cost of premium gas for the blower and it gets better. I daily drove mine between 40 and 50 miles a day and I was filling up once every 5-7 days. The only time I ever saw more than 300 miles to a tank was on flat, highway roadtrips. Mind you, I was running bumpers, recovery gear and 32-33" tires. You might also factor in the supercharger will make you want to occasionally have some fun with the skinny pedal.
Only other con I can think of is the lack of interior space compared to newer generations or comparable vehicles of the same time frame. This wasn't much of an issue for just the wife and I, but with plans for an expanding family, I wanted the greater rear seat legroom and cargo space of the newer generation.

Just my thoughts, other results may vary :)

86tuning

Adventurer
Fwiw you can retrofit the later style fuel level sender and gauge into an earlier truck if it bothers you enough to throw money at it.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I just bought a Scangauge and calibrated it. Now I know DTE (Distance to Empty.) Problem solved and I also have a transmission temp gauge (99+ only though.)

slomatt

Adventurer
didnt read it in here anywhere, but if you wheel them you will break CV axles. Its the weakest link in the drive train and can be fixed in 30 minutes on the trail. Axles are also only $50ish used so its not really a big deal as compared to dana 35 on a normal jeep.

I'm talking wheeling though so if you stay on the green and blue trails you will not encounter any issues.

If you are careful with the front suspension setup then CVs aren't a big issue. I've got 3+ years of wheeling on mine and have had zero issues, though I am careful in situations where the front wheels are spinning and I'm at the steering locks.

- Matt

troyboy162

Adventurer
If you are careful with the front suspension setup then CVs aren't a big issue. I've got 3+ years of wheeling on mine and have had zero issues, though I am careful in situations where the front wheels are spinning and I'm at the steering locks.

- Matt
didn't mean to make it sound like they are made from paper mache'. I'd guesstimate they are still 50% less likely to break then a Dana 35 with the same situations. Just be aware that if you tackle hard trails you will break them and need to bring a spare. All 3rd gens 4R and 1st gen tacomas on the run below brought spare axles. The newer gens seem to have better luck, but I dont know much about it other then one guy with a 09 tacoma who never breaks axles and wheels like hes trying to break them lol.
182633_1886844089578_584904_n.jpg

paddlenbike

Adventurer
I would have to agree with every comment made here so far. There isn't much about the 3rd gen to not like. The fuel tank range is, in my opinion, it's biggest downside. I suppose if it bothered me that much I would add some fuel capacity.

I also made the move from the 3.0 V6 to the 3.4 and the difference in both power and mileage is significant. You'll pay more for premium fuel but my fuel economy after adding the supercharger has remained the same for most of my driving. Once I hit the mountains I actually get better mileage with the supercharger than I got without it. It's not uncommon for me to get 20-21 mpg climbing mountain grades at 70+ MPH with my 2.5-3" lift and 32" tires.

I don't miss having my pickup truck at all. I can comfortably carry four people, my gear stays dry and clean. When I need to help someone move a refrigerator, haul lumber or gravel/yard mulch, I either borrow a utility trailer or rent one from u-haul for $20/day. It's much easier to load/unload a trailer than a pickup truck any day.

If I had to start all over again I would buy another 3rd gen. The only other vehicle that I would even consider would be a 4th gen, but the lack of a manual transmission, lack of a locking diff, larger exterior dimensions, and lack of power compared to the supercharged 3.4 would probably just lead me back to the third gen.

p nut

butter
The only other vehicle that I would even consider would be a 4th gen, but the lack of a manual transmission, lack of a locking diff, larger exterior dimensions, and lack of power compared to the supercharged 3.4 would probably just lead me back to the third gen.

Technically, the last model year of the 4th gen had a rear locker available. Also, having driven FJC and Tacoma 6-speeds, I much prefer the 5-sp auto in that platform. 5-sp manual in the 3rd Gen/Tacoma is great, though. Also, although the 3.4L had its issues, the 4.0L seems to be not as reliable (HG, specifically). 3.4L is still one of the best engines Toyota has produced to-date. Yes, including 22RE's.

Seeker

Adventurer
With Downy out of business, is there anyone that manufactures aux or larger replacement fuel tanks that fit these US 3rd generation 4Runners?

--Allen

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I went from a 1st gen 4runner to a 01 montero sport but looked heavily at the 3rd gen 4runner. The Runner's are fantastic but I found the 3rd gen to be a little less comfortable, got worse gas mileage with less power, and noisier than the sport. Plus in my opinion the 3rd gen 4runner/same taco's are ridiculously over priced. So you might check out the sports (only the 3.5l models).

AxleIke

Adventurer
Lots of good posts here.

I drive a 99, supercharged, 5 speed with a factory rear locker, with a lift and 33's. It is okay offroad, certainly not too bad in stock form.

I too came from a first gen, but it was really built, and thus my "learning curve" on the 3rd gen on the back roads. You will be very happy with the power increase and the ride comfort.

Obviously, if you have more money, the newer versions with ATRAC and other options are going to provide you with a ton more "out of the box" capability, but for the cost difference, you could easily put in a lot more goodies, including lockers.

I agree with everyone on fuel economy and limited range, even though the tank seems huge when you are hanging it all over rocks offroad.

I would add the pros and cons of trans choice.

For me a 5 speed is fun when you are cruising (highway driving, sunday drive, etc...) Especially with the SC. It sucks in traffic. I find the clutch in these to be very stiff, and its just not that fun. In addition, I find the auto's are much easier to wheel with a stock transfer case. The 5 speed is a little bumpy in the rougher sections. Its not a huge deal, but my brother has a 98 SC'd auto, and it is capable of a smoother ride in the back woods, plus its just less work in traffic.

That said, the SC is da bomb. I put mine on and wouldn't ever go back. It really picks it up.

My mileage stayed about the same. I can get 20 on the hwy with 33's. 16-17 in town/hwy mixed. I don't really do any strictly "town" driving.

I wish they had more storage in the rear, but that can be fixed.

I do think they lack some of the character of the first gens, and are a little more "foo foo" than I care to admit, but I gotta say, I like driving it a LOT more on a day to day basis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears