What bike on the back of a camper?

Andy G

Adventurer
shahram said:
I've always liked the Yamaha TW200...

TW200_1.jpg

It's small, efficient, low to the ground (so your significant other, if she is of diminutive size, will have no problem riding it), and it's highly capable in very rough terrain. It's the perfect "lifeboat" for a camper that might get stuck or break down, and a good grocery getter. It won't win any enduro races, but it's almost guaranteed to finish.

My wife loves her TW200...but two up on it? Only if they are both midgets. Two up and luggage? No way.

TxRider

Observer
I wouldn't recommend a KTM 600 class, they are race bikes. High compression, high octane gas required, designed and tuned to race. I've owned them for ten years and I wouldn't take one for what your describing.

I would look at the smaller 250 class bikes, you want small and light. You can fit just as much on one as a 600, it just won't go as fast.

Get a small light one two can sit on and don't worry about power, add stiffer springs if weight is an issue. I would look for air cooled not water, electric start and a seat height you can stand flat footed on with headlight/tail light and signals factory installed. Simple, reliable and easy to maintain.

Carry the groceries in a backpack when you run to town. That's the kind of bike most of the less developed world rides, and some even ride around the world on. About the only thing you couldn't do on it would be 70+ highway riding but it doesn't sound like that's what your looking for anyway.

Motobueno

I'll second the XT250

My wife got a new XT250 last month and loves it.We are going back to Death Valley next month for more extensive exploring.I just brought it back from L.A. Had it down at a shop named Turbo City.The are making racks and other related stuff for daulsport bikes.Very good quality stuff, not overenginered.The Xt was there bike for prototyping new accs.The 250 would be fine for trips to town 2 up with a nice tail rack.Stop by a Yamaha shop and have a look at one.The shop let my wife test ride a '07 225 & a '08 250.The 250 was an easy choice.Dry weight is 271# A good used Kawasaki 250 would also be something to look at.Agreat place to get more info on the Yamahas is at the xt225 site http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

Good Luck

If it ain't broke-Let's upgrade!

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
If you want to carry a passenger AND luggage at any kind of speed, you need a 600 at least.

I recommend something like a Suzuki DR650, Kawasaki KLR650 or Honda XL650. They're all simple and cheap dual-sport bikes that will get you around, great on rough roads but not really "trail" machines, and best of all: Cheap.

I have a Yamaha WR250F, and this class of bike is NOT made for what you want to do. It's an enduro race bike. The dual-sport 250's have even less power and can barely carry 1 person competently.

I'm a big fan of the DR650 and I think it's the perfect machine for what you want.

spoof

I'll agree that the XT 250 is your best choice. I have a DRZ 400 which is a great all around machine and with plenty of punch for two up. I'll probably do some hauling around of it, although usually I go on a truck trip or a bike trip. I took the DRZ on a 7,000 mile round trip from New Mexico to Guatemala this winter, and I was happier to have it's nimbleness and light weight rather than a bigger 650's slightly improved highway manners. But if I were regularly hauling a bike and just wanted to knock around once I'd set up camp, I'd go with a 250, even for two up duty, provided there wasn't much more than 400 pounds between the two of us in body weight. For a bit more weight, I'd consider the 400cc bike. Or, as someone suggested on here, an older DR 350 or Honda 400. I personally might consider a TW 200 as well and accept the the two-up riding would be putting around.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
How about a pair of big wheel Yamaha Scooters? I think they're called PW50?

About the same price as one bike, allows more freedom, another degree of redundancy, and are still quirky good fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior