what camera should i get???

XXXpedition

Explorer
ok, here's the deal:
we've got a really good camera with all bells and whistles and so on...
BUT
it's a pain to shlepp around through the city, and now living in a high-pick-pocket area, i don't wanna walk around like a christmas tree to pick things off of.

so i want to get a small camera which i can easily put in my pocket. it should still have some decent zoom, and should not be too expensive...

i've always had canons but i'm not really brand-loyal.
so what would YOU recommend??

thanks in advance
sven

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
XXXpedition said:
it's a pain to shlepp around through the city, and now living in a high-pick-pocket area, i don't wanna walk around like a christmas tree to pick things off of.

so i want to get a small camera which i can easily put in my pocket. it should still have some decent zoom, and should not be too expensive...
My pocket, walking around, throw in the backpack camera is an Olympus XA. OK, yeah it's manual focus (yup, manual focus and a coupled rangefinder to boot), aperture priority only, no zoom and uses film. But man is it small and easy to carry. The camera is roughly the same size as a bulky cell phone (it's almost exactly the same dimensions as our two Motorola Razr phones stacked). They are pretty cheap. I paid $50 for mine with the original plastic case and it's A11 flash. Recently ran it through the shop for a CLA, should be good for another few years (it's already about 25 years old).

Last edited:

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
This here's one of ma' fav'rits...
:D

766px-Kodak_Instamatic_100.jpg

TeleScooby

Adventurer
I'm generally of the belief that Canon makes tougher cameras, while I prefer Nikons optics...therefore, my big rig is a D70 and my "toss in the pack" is a Canon...hang on, have to dig it out of my bag...Powershot A530. I love this little thing! It comes skiing, snowshoeing, hiking, kayaking, etc...and has lasted a year so far with nary a scratch on it.
It even uses regular AA batteries, so if my rechargables die, I can pick some cheapies up to keep shooting...

pwc

Explorer
mountainpete said:
Canon SD 800 IS. Small, great pics and image stablization works. I love mine.
Pete, does your 800 have the face recognition stuff? It looks like originally it didn't come with it, but now it is listed on the site.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
pwc said:
Pete, does your 800 have the face recognition stuff? It looks like originally it didn't come with it, but now it is listed on the site.

Yes, mine does. It's amazingly accurate too. We were playing with it the other day and it picked out all 4 faces of my friends with ease. It even tracked each face individually as people walked around. As people come in and out it locks on quick.

We tried to fake it by holding up things that might look like a head or face and it wouldn't lock on. In case you're curious a paper plate with a big happy face on it doesn't work :p

pwc

Explorer
what about a computer screen with emoticons?

:coffee: :REOutShootinghunter :chef: :arabia: :rockon: :rally_guys: :jump: :pROFSheriffHL:

justfred

Adventurer
Personally I'd get a Nikon D40

I've got a D70 now, and I try to drag it around with me everywhere, but it's just a little large; the smaller D40 (or Canon equivalent Rebel X-whatever) would be easier.

The usage difference between an SLR and a point-and-shoot, to me, is vast, even if the quality of the pictures they end up taking isn't. Having a manual operated zoom, a choice of lenses, through-the-lens viewfinder, true instant-on and instant-photo; and the fact that you look a lot more professional rather than looking like a tourist.

I tend to carry my camera on a long strap so when I'm strolling it's behind my back; and I made sure to find a strap without logos. Sure, it could still get stolen, but if I'm not carrying it with me everywhere and taking lots of pictures then I'm not practicing (and not ready when the "great" photo just happens)!

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
pwc said:
what about a computer screen with emoticons?

:coffee: :REOutShootinghunter :chef: :arabia: :rockon: :rally_guys: :jump: :pROFSheriffHL:

Just tried it and nope. But it did pick out a face from the newspaper.

toyrunner95

Explorer
ok heres my question, your fancy camera is too big for your POCKET and you are in a high pick POCKET area, so as long as the camera isnt in your POCKET i think u will be fine. just dont bring a whole big bag of crap, get a decent lense, and stow a couple memory cards in an inner pouch, thats what i did all over amsterdam.

having a smaller camera is is jus going to make it more stealable. stick with the big one and keep it in front of you. besides they make a great club.

i had some one try and steal mine once. i had to pay for their new teeth but i still got my camera.

XXXpedition

Explorer
stick with the big one and keep it in front of you. besides they make a great club.

well, i hate to carry it around. i have tons of changeable lenses and always feel that the ones i left home are the ones i'd need. but most importently: i don'tliketo carry just the camera. it's also too heavy to shlepp around all day through town.

i'd like a small digital that i hardly feel. so far i never got anything stolen out of my pockets so i think the way i store stuff is rather safe... :)))

Bella PSD

Explorer
I am looking for the same thing. As a pro photographer I do not need the pro camera thing all the time. Point/Shoot camera is kind fun after a day of SRL to 4x5. I can deal with PS cameras but want manual controls from time to time. I would also like fully dedicated flash hot shoe for a flash that can reach out past 8-10 feet. Here is what I am looking at.

Leica Digilux 2
But get the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 is the same camera but less money and less likly to be pick POCKED! About $1200 new $750 used if you can find one(Few on E Bay) OR maybe this... Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1

I also like the Nikon P5000 NEW camera and 10MP with manual controls and hot shoe!! under $400 (I like this one) and one of the coolpix I have now is a S1. Very small and good images for the size. Here the newer Nikon S3(same small pocket size as the S1) The S3 lens never protruds from the camera body and makes it a true pocket camera.

Canon PowerShot G7
This one is about the same as the Nikon but about $490.

I am still looking??
Louie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan