What can you tell me about the Jeep comanche

jgallo1

Adventurer
Hello,
Long time expo member always been a toyota guy. I have recently developed a thing for the Comanche. I have done some basic research, what are the major things to know if I want to buy one.My next question, is are they capable offroad? I am coming from always having toyota's, so basically its some upgraded suspension and you are out the door. Are the Jeeps the same way or do they require alot more work.

Thanks,
Justin

jswift716

Adventurer
Know anything about jeep xj cherokees? The mj Comanche is damn near Identical except the shell. The cab and "frame" are joined like the xjs unibody but the bed is set up normal. Leaf spring rear coil front. Parts are cheaper things are simpler. I'd love to find one clean enough to build but that's not easy in n.y.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mitch502

Explorer
From the front of the doors, including the doors/dash forward, it's a XJ, the roof line is a little different, and obviously has a bed, and the leaf springs in the rear are different. Axles and drivetrain (minus the drive shafts) are the same as an XJ. They had the 2.8 option (stay away) and a 1.8?L diesel( stay away). For trans you could get a Puegot 5 speed (nicknames PUKEGOAT because of how terrible they were apparently) so watch for that.

The bed is on a "frame" while the cab forward is a unibody. So keep that in mind when looking at rust.

They're very capable, and are equally as easy as a cherokee to play with. Really the only thing bad can can is cab room is limited, but that's with any single cab pickup. You can get one and do a motor swap to the newer HO 4.0 by just taking the sensors out of the old one and putting them in the new one pretty much...that will give you a little more power. I've even seen people go as far as to swap a 97+ XJ dash in and make it look REALLY nice.

It's a Cherokee with a bed, you can't go wrong.

Fursphere

Observer
Pretty much what everyone else has said. Find a clean one without rust, swap in a 4.0L engine and an AX-15 5 speed, lift it a little and add bigger tires then go have fun with it. Rebuild the transfer case before it explodes from bearing seizure and/or chain slack as it probably has a ton of miles on it. The inline 2.5L 4 cylinder isn't a bad engine either - I had one go to 365,000 miles (bought new in '86). Just gear down accordingly. Stay far away from the V6 though (or plan on swapping it out quickly).

There is a short bed and long bed option. Long bed will give you more cargo room, but not as nimble on tight trails. So something to consider. And converting a 2WD to a 4WD isn't a big deal either. As far as I know, all the mounting points are there. Just find an XJ donor and strip it if need be.

Mitch502

Explorer
Pretty much what everyone else has said. Find a clean one without rust, swap in a 4.0L engine and an AX-15 5 speed, lift it a little and add bigger tires then go have fun with it. Rebuild the transfer case before it explodes from bearing seizure and/or chain slack as it probably has a ton of miles on it. The inline 2.5L 4 cylinder isn't a bad engine either - I had one go to 365,000 miles (bought new in '86). Just gear down accordingly. Stay far away from the V6 though (or plan on swapping it out quickly).

There is a short bed and long bed option. Long bed will give you more cargo room, but not as nimble on tight trails. So something to consider. And converting a 2WD to a 4WD isn't a big deal either. As far as I know, all the mounting points are there. Just find an XJ donor and strip it if need be.

Yep, this. 86 had all long beds, and all(?) were the 2.8. So after that is better. You can get 31's pretty easily on them without lifting, and just like the Cherokee, there is a list of ways to lift with junkyard parts without it being "rigged"...like the front lower control arms are a contact point with bigger tires...the WJ control arms are the same length and are tubular and bent at an angle. They bolt up like factory, yet give better clearance for turning.

EDIT: Rumor/Theory was the 2.8L's that were put in the Comanche were the engines that didn't pass inspection at GM...it's the same 2.8L that was in S10's/Camaros/Fieros/etc. And I've never really heard anything BAD about those engines...I even had a 2.8L Fiero that ran great and loved it.

87Warrior

GP'er
In 1986 there were three engine options: 2.8 V6, 2.5 4cyl and a rare 2.1L Turbo Diesel.

If you like to tinker, the only things you should be worried about on a MJ is: rust, tail lights and a working fuel sender. Anything else can be bought new.

I have 4 Comanches and love the platform. A couple of years ago I took my rusted out 180k mile 2.5l truck for a week in Colorado. It was great and even handled the Black Bear switchbacks without a pause.

Visit Comanche Club to see the most collective MJ data around.
https://comancheclub.com/forums/forum/12-comanches/

Fursphere

Observer
Friend of mine had a V6 XJ (Wagoneer I think) back in the day. It was always in the shop for one thing or another. Never ran right.

jgallo1

Adventurer
Thanks for all the info.. They are really interesting little trucks, I have been warned about the unibody and to stay away from the 86.
I will be on the lookout.
Thanks again

Anak

Stranger
One more detail that I believe is different between a Cherokee (XJ) and Comanche (MJ) is the relationship between the leaf springs and the rear axle. Cherokees are "spring over" and I believe Comanches are "spring under".

Not a major difference, but something you should be aware of should you be planning on swapping drivetrains or planning a lift.

Mitch502

Explorer
One more detail that I believe is different between a Cherokee (XJ) and Comanche (MJ) is the relationship between the leaf springs and the rear axle. Cherokees are "spring over" and I believe Comanches are "spring under".

Not a major difference, but something you should be aware of should you be planning on swapping drivetrains or planning a lift.

This is true. A lot of people do a swap to SOA and gain ~3" I think.

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
Ah yes the MJ. I love mine. great mountain package right out of the gate. Many parts are swappable between XJ's and MJ's, but there are subtl differences that sepprate swapping. I.E. want to put a Chry 8.25 from an XJ in to an MJ? Your gonna have to move the perches and put shock mounts on the axle. Theres a couple MJ's floating around this page. Hard to beat package would be a 91-92 Shortbed eliminator or pioneer with the H.O 4.0, AX-15, NP231, with a Chry 8.25 or Ford 8.8 swapped in. Want to lift it? Hard to beat a set of xj 4.5" coils, SOA rear with 2wd leaves and a set of adjustable control arms / track bar with a set of 285/75/16s.

DesertJK

Adventurer
I have an '86 MJ with the 2.5 AMC engine and the AX5 transmission. It has been an okay little truck. Some stuff is hard to figure out parts wise on the '86 models. For instance, my clutch release arm snapped. There are 2 versions available from OMIX and Crown, neither fit ,but I modified the arm and the slave cylinder to work with it.

Since my 86 is over 30 years old, I no longer have to register it every year in Washington. I don't insure it, and liability only extends from my other cars to cover me when I drive it. I don't have any reason to use this truck for anything but local (rural) errands that I need a truck for (lumber, garbage, stuff like that)
If I wanted to though, I could drive this little truck anywhere and probably still drive it home.

I am considering using some leftover JK stuff I have around to spruce it up a bit. I have some remote reservoir Bilsteins to stick on, some RK adjustable control arms that I can use the heim joints from to make an MJ set, and some bushings and various other stuff to stiffen up the suspension. I keep wanting to build a rallycross/autocross capable street truck with 4 wheel drive. I am leaning towards smaller tires, not more that a 31" with 2" or less of lift (already had Rustys 2") and possibly a light aluminum flat/utility bed.
I've recently been obsessed with junk yard supercharging, maybe I'll mount a mid '90's Asin supercharger from a Toyota or Mercedes to it. I have always wanted a ratty truck with a mad max style electric clutch supercharger.

I know, not the right audience for this idea. But, I like the idea of a garbage run truck that I can autocross/rallycross at semi-local events.

PCO6

Adventurer
I have a '88 Comanche Eliminator. I also have a '95 Cherokee 2 dr. and as mentioned above there's a lot of interchangeable parts. All but the '91/'92 Comanche's are Renix model Jeeps. There are pros and cons to each and guys who would not want one or the other. If you find a good Comanche get it and be happy no matter which it is.

Here are a few pics of mine ...

picture.php

picture.php

And the 2 of them together ...

picture.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger