What causes high idle?

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
On Friday I noticed that the 4Runner was idling kinda high. Around 1500 to be exact. If I blipped the throttle it would then return to it's normal idle. Today, it did it at 2000 a couple of times. What's the culprit? Dirty throttle body?

KG6BWS

Explorer
mine does that occasionally when the engines cold, something to help it warm up quicker i guess.

the other thing, is your air conditioner on?? mine had a high idle one time, and i couldnt figure it out till i realized i had accidentally turned on the ac.

i THINK that a dirty throttle body would cause the opposite effect, low idle and shuddering.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
The A/C is not on. Engine is warm. I went to Anza Borrego today and the truck ran all day and even still it idled high.

KG6BWS

Explorer
could your pedal be sticking a little?? return spring?? that could be why it returns to normal when you blip it. i dont know if you can access it, but maybe you could try lubricating the throttle cable. get a cable lubrication kit from a motorcycle shop.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Mine occasionally sticks at high idle. Some possible causes from my troubleshooting (at least things that definitely affect my idle).

Sticky throttle cable
Misadjusted or faulty throttle position sensor
Sticky or dirty throttle body
Vaccum leak
High or low fuel pressure (fuel pump pressure, fuel pressure regulator)
Various engine sensors (coolant temp for example has a big effect on how my 22R-E runs)
Cold start injector leaking (if the 5VZ has one, not sure)
Ignition timing, spark plugs, etc.

Did it come on suddenly? Since blipping the gas pedal quiets it, I'd at least start with the easy stuff. Throttle cable, cleaning the throttle body (inside, too, the 22R-E has a PCV return line into the TB that makes it nasty inside from that fuel & oil goop), checking for vaccum and intake leaks.

If you have a genuine factory service manual, they have nice flow charts to follow during diagnosis. If you don't have a FSM, TTORA has many of them online:

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/

Loober

Adventurer
Mine does it too occasionally, i dont worry about it too much, its like asking Kobe why do you sometimes tie your left shoe before the right. Great things such as Kobe and Tacomas sometimes do things cuz they feel like it but who am i to question them when they had never let me down.

I hope that explains it haha

corax

Explorer
I know this isn't from your engine, but check to see if there is a "dashpot" on the throttle body - they keep the throttle plate from slamming shut when you get off the gas really quick, but sometimes they stick and keep the throttle part open. I removed mine a few years back (7MGE engine had one on it, so does the 22RE, again not sure about your engine) - I've had no problems with it gone

tps4.jpg

the thing in the green circle that the throttle bellcrank rests against when your foot is off the gas

Skim

Explorer
1. Remove the intake hose to the throttle body.
2. Open the throttle plate with your hand and with your other had inspect the intake tube for black/grey dirt.
3. If found use carb/intake cleaner and a paper towel and clean it out. Using an old tooth brush is the real slick way to go.
4. Reassemble
5. It might be rough to start after this cleaning because you just sprayed clearned down there, but it will idle better after it clears itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12