What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
That'll make it a lot of fun.
Why the hemi over something like a 5.3/6.0 or a diesel?

Several. Skid plates, steel bumpers, 37's, towing etc. A 5.3/6.0 swap would have saved maybe 4-5k but only by going with a used trans, used tcase. To me it makes no sense to use a new crate motor with someone's questionable used parts behind it. Or putting in all junk yard parts and expecting reliability. If it was all new parts I would have been at or over the 6.4 swap cost. Plus both those motors are only 315-350 hp then subtract hp loss thru the drivetrain... We could have gone with an ls3, been at 430-520 hp but you still need a trans and tcase. We had an ls3 in our buggy back when we just did rock crawling and even though a good shop did the build we always had issues. After numerous customs tunes on both computers, hard shifts, hanging rpm's etc - well it got old. The motor was fine on 40's, atlas II, built axles etc offroad but we didn't want to fight those issues on the street.

The 6.4 swap, as well as the 5.7 hemi let me retain my trans that is low miles, I know it's service history, I keep my rubicon tcase and it's all plug and play. AEV builds the full replacement wiring in house as well as programs my vin specific computer for the v8. No dash lights, dealer serviceable, retains the bump shift, AEV's procal still works to make changes. We wanted to build a streetable jeep that could get us to moab, wheel and get us home without getting super complicated. And we wanted to be able to tow just about anything within reason. We started off wanting to do coilovers, prorock 44/60, 40's but realized we were just building a street legal buggy. This is clean and simple. Skids, drive line work, v8 with a tent for the nite or the trailer for a road trip.

Funny enough this whole swap started with talking about the cummins re power motor. After talking with multiple shops no one could say for sure it would pass nc inspection. One said yes but claimed they do "creative tuning" and I think that's an issue just waiting to happen. After two shops talked me out of it I took that as a sign. The motor is getting built out today or tomorrow and the motor mounts are getting fabbed up and welded in also.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
I got my Xprite Notepad for camping I the Jeep while in Colorado. Its nice and pretty comfortable. I had some Amazon gift cards and credits so it was only $71 and its worth that price. I wouldn't have paid $190 though.aJQ3k27lRQa32F63qNxslg.jpg

Outside somewhere

Always wanted a Semi in my JK's. What did that set ya back??

Seeing that pic at work today gave me a semi :LOL:

I have too. I've wheeled in other peoples street jeeps with v8 swaps and had that v8 buggy that was offroad only and dreamed of doing a 450-500hp n/a v8 for the road. We were only mildly satisfied with the super charger we had. In hindsight I'm glad it was a used unit and saved us a ton because the gains would not have been worth it for the 8-10k price tag they charge.

This set up was more than the avg swap. A normal crate 6.4 turn key will run 28-30k. That's a new mopar crate motor, the aev jk specific install kit, a 5 page list of small parts and installation. The motor is around 10k, the aev parts are 10k, all the small parts down to recharging the a/c system with the new r1234 (most shops dont have that unit as its like fifteen grand) so thats almost $300, fluids, sales tax is almost 2k, labor. This swap started with a 13k 6.4 built to spec with forged everything, 11.5:1 compression, ported heads, bigger coil packs, 90mm throttle body, bigger injectors, custome tune etc. So I'm at 35k turn key. The reason for this is two fold, if we want to go forced induction later we can and should we want to get back into rock crawling a major expense is already done. The other half thinks I'm nuts but I kinda like the idea of a super charged 6.4 jkur putting down 650+ hp lol.

I did look into a hellcrate swap. With replacing the trans, tcase, 15k for the motor, LOTS of custom work like reinforcement welding, custom exhaust, motor mounts etc it would have been 45-47k.

I know people will read this and think it's nuts but I don't want to be on my deathbed thinking about that time I hyper miled a camry and got 55 mpg or how I made an extra 2% percent interest on an investment. As long as the bills are paid and food is in the fridge I want to have fun.

Attachments

• N9tb680XApTy.jpg
    N9tb680XApTy.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 46
  • N9tb680XApTy.jpg
    N9tb680XApTy.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 45

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Always wanted a Semi in my JK's. What did that set ya back??

Seeing that pic at work today gave me a semi :LOL:

I have too. I've wheeled in other peoples street jeeps with v8 swaps and had that v8 buggy that was offroad only and dreamed of doing a 450-500hp n/a v8 for the road. We were only mildly satisfied with the super charger we had. In hindsight I'm glad it was a used unit and saved us a ton because the gains would not have been worth it for the 8-10k price tag they charge.

This set up was more than the avg swap. A normal crate 6.4 turn key will run 28-30k. That's a new mopar crate motor, the aev jk specific install kit, a 5 page list of small parts and installation. The motor is around 10k, the aev parts are 10k, all the small parts down to recharging the a/c system with the new r1234 (most shops dont have that unit as its like fifteen grand) so thats almost $300, fluids, sales tax is almost 2k, labor. This swap started with a 13k 6.4 built to spec with forged everything, 11.5:1 compression, ported heads, bigger coil packs, 90mm throttle body, bigger injectors, custome tune etc. So I'm at 35k turn key. The reason for this is two fold, if we want to go forced induction later we can and should we want to get back into rock crawling a major expense is already done. The other half thinks I'm nuts but I kinda like the idea of a super charged 6.4 jkur putting down 650+ hp lol.

I did look into a hellcrate swap. With replacing the trans, tcase, 15k for the motor, LOTS of custom work like reinforcement welding, custom exhaust, motor mounts etc it would have been 45-47k.

I know people will read this and think it's nuts but I don't want to be on my deathbed thinking about that time I hyper miled a camry and got 55 mpg or how I made an extra 2% percent interest on an investment. As long as the bills are paid and food is in the fridge I want to have fun.

That’s a great and similar mindset that I have. I may not have the money to spend on a Hemi not Semi swap, but I sure hope I do someday. Nothing wrong with a $100K Jeep right?

Outside somewhere

That’s a great and similar mindset that I have. I may not have the money to spend on a Hemi not Semi swap, but I sure hope I do someday. Nothing wrong with a $100K Jeep right?

We put 85,000 miles on a 1998 xj sport with a 2" rustys lift and 32's camping out of the back all over the us and had the best times of our lives. This is just a different jeep. Fun isn't money dependent.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
I got my Xprite...

Be interested to hear your feedback. Saw they went on sale this week. My only concern is the 1.5" foam is not very dense.

Initial impression..way better than sleeping on the ground. Way better than the floor of the Jeep. It supports my 215 lb body. I’m 6’1” so it’s tight unless I sleep diagonal. Not sure sleeping with feet slightly elevated and head at tailgate would be comfortable but it would be give more room. Best two features you can unzip and just use one side. Also the way it tri folds and attaches to rear seats out of the way. I plan to sleep on it while stopping in Amarillo day one or Taos day two or both.

Last edited:
Not the best picture of it, but installed a Smittybilt rear bumper to go with the smittybilt bumper that came on the jeep.
oh also, adjustable track arm, new tie rods/drag link, shocks, stereo, and a tune up.

Attachments

• 44177457511_4a6e400332_b.jpg
    44177457511_4a6e400332_b.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 25
built some quick n dirty side steps for the jeep, should help with some rocker protection too.made from 2" schd 40 pipe. 5/32 thick wall welded to 3/16 plate bolted to the frame. gunna ad some grip tape for traction, but helps the wife and father in law get into the jeep a little easier.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
I cleaned the interior in prep for my Ouray/Moab trip which I leave for on Friday. Get tires balanced and rotated tomorrow. Thursday I will be detailing the outside with a clay bar and a nice coat of wax.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78