What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

bldeagle10

Explorer
yea every company has quality control issues, the track bar from rustys breaking is just one example, it is just an extreme situation because he was driving normally and it ended up rolling because of the breakage. just makes you question it a bit,

^that is no bueno but the new tranny should be pretty sweet!

I am in the process of tearing down and cleaning up my original driveshaft, had to buy a junk yard shaft till I can rebuild this one, have to send it out to have the slip yoke cut off and a new one welded on, it has to much play and gives DW, I have been told to grease it but I don't think that will do it. so I stripped it all down and used some scotch brite to clean it up a bit...I need to replace some stuff like a little rubber ring that covers up a ball joint in the center of the double cardigan portion (think thats what its called, the rubber is shreded up) here are some pics..

003119.jpg003938.jpg004021.jpg004504.jpg

the shaft was covered in some thick dirt that was on there like glue, still have to clean up the ends but may just leave those, wish I had a sand blaster...

Edit: never mind, got quoted 300 at a local shop to have it rebuilt, 280 at autozone with a core charge of 60 for a reman, slapping this one back together and will buy the new one, throw that on the Jeep and use the current one as the spare (or future rear DS for a SYE?)

Last edited:

orangeTJ

Explorer
Took a road trip Northridge 4x4 in Bremerton, WA yesterday for servicing the diffs on my Jeep, lubing the CTMs. They also fixed a few things and pointed out a few other areas of concern.

I simply did not have the desire to crawl around under my Jeep and fight with bottles of gear oil and making a mess, nor did I want to fight with the grease gun I use for the CTMs when I lube them at home. It's too cold for me to have the desire to mess with that nasty grease, so I took a little road trip to Northridge today to get it done.

I also met some of the new employees while I was there.

briboki

the shaft was covered in some thick dirt that was on there like glue, still have to clean up the ends but may just leave those, wish I had a sand blaster...

Edit: never mind, got quoted 300 at a local shop to have it rebuilt, 280 at autozone with a core charge of 60 for a reman, slapping this one back together and will buy the new one, throw that on the Jeep and use the current one as the spare (or future rear DS for a SYE?)

A basic tom woods replacement shaft was $269 last time I checked, with no core. When I ordered my sye + driveshaft combo a few weeks ago from Tom it was only $5 shipping for the whole thing.

A few local shops quoted me $300ish for a new one, and I didn't feel like paying almost as much for a reman.

Check out tatton driveshafts. They have a good reputation and are cheaper than tom woods.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
A basic tom woods replacement shaft was $269 last time I checked, with no core.............

Tom is a good guy, and he does great work.

I was able to get 2 new shafts for my CJ with extended splines, for less than one shaft locally.

Have about 4 years on them now, a mixture of hard wheeling and road time, to include a trip to Moab and back (3K round trip miles)

bldeagle10

Explorer
last time I priced it came out to be like 310 shipped for me, I guess my dad is going to help me rebuild it, put it on the lathe and pop the slip yoke shaft off and weld a new one on.

bldeagle10

Explorer
figured out the wiring issue with my high beam and aux lighting. fuses were blown.
hauled some 2x6x12 planks of Redwood out to my dads up on the roof rack to finish the first section of the deck we are building.

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Rear Rack

I just finished building a rack in preperation of the new JK Habitat "roof top tent" coming soon.

2011-12-14_14-07-37_810.jpg

The 2" angle iron is welded to the existing tire carier. Had to grind out the inside radius to better seat the square tubing on both sides.

2011-12-14_14-05-50_750.jpg

checking out the angle and fitment. Had to cut off the antenna mount and re-locate it. Raised it up about 6 inches.

2011-12-16_16-39-12_905.jpg

The final product around a 37" spare. I think I need some fender flares you guys were talking about.

2011-12-28_10-12-54_899.jpg

For a long trip I can carry extra propane tanks in the new rack. Those are 11lb and 5lb tanks. I will be installing a pullout stove and a heater from Adventure Trailers as part of the JK Habitat package.

Oh, and all the parts for the 5.7 HEMI install should be here next week. Little brother to the 6.1L - now 7.0L HEMI in my 300C. That's the wife's Grand Cherokee.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
That Jeep is a beast...looks sweet on 37's!

And yes, fenders flares might not ba a bad call on there...cut down on the mud slinging. My XJ looked hilarious in the rain or mud befor ethe extended flares, rooster tails off of all 4 corners! lol

bldeagle10

Explorer
washed it for the first time in months. tons of mud. I like my Jeep like I like my women, fun dirty but clean up real nice ;)

boknows

Adventurer
changed the mount on my back up/ flood light after seeing a fellow Expo rig (tangoblue). Used a painters pole, modified it and attached it to the rear of the swing out. Now I have a height/ direction adjustable light I can use in camp.
quick write up. more details at: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/70156-Rear-tire-carrier-mounted-camp-work-light-build

chopped top threaded portion, drilled and mounted LED light.
DSC04147.jpg

DSC04148.jpg

Painted and wired internally.
DSC04154.jpg

back up light, locked down
DSC04156.jpg

camp flood light, locked up.
DSC04157.jpg

Bo

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Love the adjustable back up/camp set up/work light idea! I will most certainly be stealin......'er...borrowing aspects of this for my rig!

:coffeedrink:

bldeagle10

Explorer
ditched the rear sway bar today while re-torquing the u-bolts, thing was in the way and it doesn't do anything anyways...

tomorrow will have some new years wheeling and shooting fun followed up by a bon fire :D

oh, I also made a ghetto "Do I need lockers" test out of some ramps lol. the conclusion is yes...yes I do

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
broke...

I just spent a chunk of change to get the parts coming to fix mine. Hopefully they will arrive in Germany in about a month and I can start getting that beast on the road and trails again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78