What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

rbkelley89

Observer
for anyone with a rtt ontop of your jeep. How are you getting around the roof racks weight limit. I have a garvin rack on my tj thats limit is 300 lbs. I really want to get a rtt to complete the expedition vehicle aspect but i am wondering if any modifications are required in order to make it safe to climb onto.

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
for anyone with a rtt ontop of your jeep. How are you getting around the roof racks weight limit. I have a garvin rack on my tj thats limit is 300 lbs. I really want to get a rtt to complete the expedition vehicle aspect but i am wondering if any modifications are required in order to make it safe to climb onto.

Im not sure about the Garvin rack but I plan on getting the Gobi Stealth rack for my JK and it says 300lb max rating for transit and then 800lb static limit.

Frank

Explorer
Mine will be going on soon. Looking at the weather forecast, I can probably hold off for another week or 2, but we'll see. My winter set are 235/70R16 Nokian Hakka R2s (same diameter, just a little narrower compared to my 255/60R17 summers that I run for DD duty and road trips).

I'll hold off until ice is in the forecast to put my winters on my other vehicle. I work at Tire Rack and employee installs are limited per day, and I wanted to get them on asap. Plus, I have the new Blizzak DMV-2's from Bridgestone, and I would like to get a few hundred miles on them before the weather turns.

To answer the sizing question, narrow is better for winter use. If went taller, I would have to go wider. The sizing is perfect.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
narrow is better for winter use

Well, sort of. It depends on the kind of surface. In fresh snow (especially wet snow) or slush, narrow will do better, as it'll cut through it to a hopefully better surface underneath. On hardpack or on ice, wider will be better (you don't need to cut through either of those, and like pavement, more contact patch will generally lead to more grip).

I went for a bit of a compromise with my setup. The 235s are narrower than the 255s I run on the street during the summer, but they're still wider than the 225s the ZJ came with stock. I've never really hit a point where I felt like they were too wide in the winter (I don't see a whole lot of slush or wet snow, it's usually cold enough in Upstate NY that everything is either dusty snow that packs down well or icy). I wouldn't really have minded 245s or 255s for winter, but the 235s were a better fit for the wheels they're on and it was easier to find a size that's the same diameter as my summers (so I can carry the same spare for both sets).

Frank

Explorer
I think it depends more on the vehicle and the driving situation than the surface, for North America.

I would always recommend a winter tire to be purchased for the worst condition the vehicle will see, even if that worst condition is only seen a handful of times in the few months the tires will be used.
For about 95% of winter tire users in the US, a more narrow tire will win. I've outfitted probably more than 1,000 vehicles for winter use and have never had a person tell me I mis-led them or put them on something they didn't feel comfortable with. I have had people call me and tell me they feel I have saved their life because of the ability to avoid situations with winter tires, or just thanked me for outfitting their vehicle the proper way. It's a great feeling.

But that's for another topic.

IndyRubicon

Globetrotter
I painted some interior trim so it would be color matched with my front bumper tow hooks and the headlight bezel's I previously painted.

12191651_160459094307438_1676275582021707813_n.jpg

12227836_160459084307439_8959059244052832802_n.jpg

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Just starting to develop plans with a buddy (fabricator) for a custom bumper for my XJ. He will be able to use it as a template/prototype. His new design for the JK is fantastic, so if mine is half as nice I am laughing! Think JCR meets ARB ish.

Also going to fab up some sliders. Good thing he has a new contact with a Tube Shark! Woo hoo!

:coffeedrink:

IndyRubicon

Globetrotter
How do you get the air bezels out?

Get a flashlight and shine it up in the vent. Turn the vents while looking inside around the 2 o'clock position. You'll see a hole once it's lined up correctly. Take a flathead screwdriver, stick it in there, and rotate the screwdriver up so that it will push the tab down. Holding that there, rotate the bezel about a quarter turn to the left (the whole unit will turn, not just the bezel). Take out the screwdriver and pull the unit straight out. Turn the unit over and you'll see four tabs holding the bezel on...the screwdriver will work on those too.

rubicon91

Explorer
The Jeep Club I am apart of is in the Veteran's day parade here in town tomorrow. We will all meet at the local VFW and take some ole salty veteran's in the parade with us. I am excited being a veteran myself to be able to have a few of these old timers with me in my Jeep. I hope I get an onry old salty devil dog whose stare will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck. :sombrero: In preparation I started the strip down today for it. Just have to finish pulling the rear doors off tonight after work. Hopefully weather holds and I can stay topless for a while.

Attachments

• 20151110_144056_resized.jpg
    20151110_144056_resized.jpg
    620.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20151110_144106_resized.jpg
    20151110_144106_resized.jpg
    601.8 KB · Views: 36

IndyRubicon

Globetrotter
Drilled a hole in my spare tire carrier mount for my FireStik, which will be used to hold a flag needed for a trip to an off road park on Saturday. Eventually I'll put it to proper use by getting a CB. I nicked the mount when the drill bit went through, but just hit it with some black enamel.

12243105_160883824264965_2141574471295525485_n.jpg

12239728_160883834264964_8744264014754029888_n.jpg

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I think it depends more on the vehicle and the driving situation than the surface, for North America.

I would always recommend a winter tire to be purchased for the worst condition the vehicle will see, even if that worst condition is only seen a handful of times in the few months the tires will be used.
For about 95% of winter tire users in the US, a more narrow tire will win. I've outfitted probably more than 1,000 vehicles for winter use and have never had a person tell me I mis-led them or put them on something they didn't feel comfortable with. I have had people call me and tell me they feel I have saved their life because of the ability to avoid situations with winter tires, or just thanked me for outfitting their vehicle the proper way. It's a great feeling.

But that's for another topic.

For many cars the cost of a dedicated set of winter tires is less than the insurance deductible in the event of an accident. Thus, dedicated winter tires are cheap insurance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78