What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

Frank

Explorer
JKU inspection and Fluid Film application

Family summer vacation, road trip, adventure, whatever you want to call it prep took place last weekend for me. With a roughly 3,000 mile trip nearing, I wanted to completely go through the Jeep, inspecting as much as I could. It may be a bit OCD, but after my experiences with my motorcycles, I felt it necessary to at least do a once over. And in fact, I found a ground that was missing a nut in the engine compartment and the Jeep only has 10k on it. Tires were rotated, pressures, fluids, and electrical connections checked, brakes inspected...I literally spent a complete day with the Jeep looking everything over. A synthetic oil change was performed about 1k miles ago, so I didn't feel it was necessary prior to the trip. It will be changed once I get back.

You may recall my post from last fall, where I discussed spraying Fluid Film on the undercarriage. This stuff provides a barrier for rust and corrosion and I feel its almost a necessity for those of us in the rust belt or those who live near a body of saltwater. I was very surprised when I pulled a wheel off and could tell EXACTLY where I sprayed and didn't spray. I'm grateful for a friend who turned me on to Fluid Film.

Before spraying, I took the power washer to the undercarriage, spraying everything I could. I didn't use any cleaners because I didn't want to remove the film that was left from the last coating. High pressure water did a great job cleaning, and I figured it's how we cleaned vehicles in the Marine Corps, why not my own. It then air dried for several hours. (basically, I sprayed first, then checked the vehicle over, applying Fluid Film last)

One can will do an entire frame, axles and undercarriage but leaves you with nothing left. Having 2 cans on hand probably isn't a bad idea, but I only needed one can each time I coated the Jeep. In the fall, I will do another coat but also spray the floor pans and such from underneath, so two cans will be necessary. I found that several light coats is best, as a thick coat just creates pooling of the film. One more thing; this stuff has a very toxic smell to it so be sure to do it outdoors or in a very well ventilated garage. You can find this stuff at Lowes.

Here are some before and after photos.

After power washing the undercarriage, before coating; Also note the difference in where I was and wasn't able to spray last fall. I didn't pull the wheels/tires off the last time as I did this time and it is very clear to me that I should have.
IMG_6342-1.JPG

Photobomb!
IMG_6337-2.JPG

This is a cool pic, I thought
IMG_6340.JPG

After application
IMG_6345.JPG

Tight_wad

Adventurer
Added a JCRoffroad.com tire carrier today.

63847cfb6ae823f0ac371fec0f498ec1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

pingzingr

Finished up my $30 two bike rack for the inside of the Jeep. Two fork mounts, a 42" 2x4, some black duck cloth fabric, and a wife that sews...

image.jpg

siebermd

Adventurer
I trimmed my stock tire carrier down to fit just the brake light. Now I just need to install my Or-Fab tire carrier. image.jpg

D

Deleted member 96197

She's not exactly an expo jeep yet, but should be a fun project, rescued her from certain death, the front half isn't in bad shape, the rear of the frame and a lot of the tub is rusted out pretty good, so cutting and welding will begin this weekend.

attachment.php

Runs strong, but not nearly street legal yet

attachment.php

Got her home

attachment.php

And started assessing the mess

Anyone have any experience with the autorust frame sections for the rear of the CJ frames? I have a couple on order, they are going in saturday.
attachment.php

Apparently the PO lost the key, after drilling out the ignition and some awesome redneck fabrication, ended up pulling the actuator rod free so you can pull to get her started. Disassembly and rebuild of the steering column has begun.

attachment.php

The drivetrain is a 1979 Quadra Trac, in suprisingly good condition, the hoses to the "emergency traction" button are gone, and it didn't come with the low range option. The tub, title, and Vin's make it a 1984 4x4. I am still undecided how much love this is going to get, but this weekend I plan to get her ready to pass an inspection.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucky j

Explorer
Sad to see how time and neglet got a good chunk out of her life.

Do not know where you are and how is the regulation in you state/province/country, but in our area, you do not pass inspection with frame work. Hope it is not your case.

Good luck with the project! Body does look like it as potential!

D

Deleted member 96197

Ouch, if frame work meant a truck couldn't pass a safety inspection our roads would be a lot emptier. Our safety inspections are kind of a joke, although I'll probably have a harder time passing emissions.

Lucky j

Explorer
In our case, we do not go for yearly inspection, just for clunkers or after total or after a year w/o being register. And no emission, only safety. So no lift or mod. So you want to keep it registered.

Frank

Explorer
Our safety inspections are kind of a joke, although I'll probably have a harder time passing emissions.

When I lived in NC (assuming thats where you are based on the plate) I also though the inspection was a joke. -until I moved back to Indiana where there is no inspection and the vehicles on the road are complete nightmares. At least in NC, you had to have working lights and tread on your tires to pass inspection. lol

Mitch502

Explorer
I'll take no inspections and no emissions tests w/ unsafe cars over having them any day :) Kentucky has neither as well.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Dropped the Jeep off at the shop this morning for the installation of ARB Air-Lockers, front and rear. Decided to go with ARB since I already have an ARB Twin compressor and an S-pod.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger