What do you do if you wanna do a cleanup?

Wanderlusty

Explorer
I just did a quick tay trip over to one of my favorite spots in the Ouachita National Forest, the Flatside Wilderness.

They had some fires last week and was going over to investigate the damage. Luckily, from what I could find, it mostly looked more like a controlled burn. A lot of underbrush was burnt, but very little in the way of total devastating burn.

Anyway, asking about cleanup, because when I got to one of the man viewing areas on the "Auto Trail" and saw where the brush had been burned away to reaveal...:( litter, and lots of it. Tons of aluminum cans, etc.

So got to thinking it is time to give back, but in a natinal forest, do I need to coordinate with the Forestry Service, or just go out there with some trash bags and start cleaning up?

I know some of the members here regularly do cleanups, so what is the lowdown on what needs to be done red-tape wise?

Thanks!

If you look close, you will see aluminum cans about every 2 feet or so. :confused: I just don't get how people can litter such a beautiful place.

Attachments

• Nother 'Nona Trip 008.jpg
    Nother 'Nona Trip 008.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Nother 'Nona Trip 009.jpg
    Nother 'Nona Trip 009.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 53

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Disheartening, isn't it?

Well, it's great that you want to get out there and help!

Unless you're going to have lots of people and need group campsites and other facilities to make the cleanup happen (portajohns etc) - you don't need to get a permit or contact the Forest Service as far as I know. Some good friends and folks cleaning up is always a welcome thing.

But I think it would be great if you called the district ranger (hint: the people who answer the phones in many FS offices are volunteers - don't try to talk with them about it, just ask for the district ranger's office) and let them know you're a small 4x4 enthusiast group and you'd like to help do some cleanup.

This buys TONS of goodwill with the FS, and when the time comes to negotiate trail maintenance and closures, you guys have a lot more standing!

Great job!:clapsmile

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
With our club the Copperstate Cruisers we try and go out a few times a year to various places in AZ and do trail clean ups. We have had great success in member turn out as well as seeing the Forest Service join in- The Forest service is very open ( at least in AZ) to having help in the clean up dept. They have even helped with dumpsters and hauling out pickup loads for us- it never hurts to let the Forest service know what you plan to do - once you can place a name to a face the forest service seems to be receptive to help.

Congratulations on stepping up and being involved :bowdown: -

:ar15: it is a real shame to see garbage out in the forest

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Well, good news is that I have talked to my friends that regularly trail ride with me out there, and they are all up for it!

Bad news is schedule conflicts have us all the way to probably the third week of June until we can get out there. :(

But i guess better late than never....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior