What do you pAck in your trailer?

This may seem like a stupid question, but I just wanted to know what people carry in the expedition trailers. I’m in the process of building my own trailer and keep changing plans based on what I think I want to carry in the trailer and what I want to carry in the my Jeep Cherokee.

So if anyone doesn’t mind maybe a short list of what you carry so I can compare with my list.

Thanks everyone.

TexGX

Explorer
I pack as much as I can. I do not like feeling packed into the truck, plus my 75lb dog has the back seat. I installed tie down strips along the isle. I have one large box with all my kitchen and camp stuff, my propane camp fire and other soft items around that. I do keep my fridge in the truck so if I do a day trip, I have drinks and food with me. This also makes leaving easy. I keep most things loaded in the trailer so I just grab some cloths and food then out the door.

TexGX

city slicker

Keep it light and tight

I have had my Horizon for a year now. I didn't use is until May of '12. I looked for three months before I bought anything. The main thing for me was quality, light weight and most everything has a bag/carrier.
The trailer has two sides and a main compartment. One side is kitchen and bath the other I call the garage.
Kitchen side: paper towel, TP, lighters, wash cloths, full size pre-moistened full size body towels, deodorizer for porta-potty, soap, mirror, set of 4-plates, bowls, cups, silverware, a few pans, small tea pot for cocoa, larger spoon, egg flipper, sauce stirrer, small cleaning brush, salt, pepper, spices, scissors, fingernail clippers, pen and paper for things we forgot or want to add, and probably a half dozen odds and ends.
Garage Side: Shovel, L.E.D. light for tent, ax, tent stakes, hammer, lantern and propane, lantern hanger, tree for larger propane tanks, hammock, saw, machete, several flash lights, first aid kit, small 12V air compressor, rope, solar panels, saw, small socket set, ponchos, gloves, and a half dozen other things that could get you out of a jam!
Main Compartment: Porta-potty, tee pee for potty, camp fire in a can (live in AZ no real fires this year) lawn chairs, two small tables, fridge, extra water, sometimes extra propane, tent panels.
I take our personal stuff like sleeping bags, pillows, duffle bags in the Jeep. We put our dry food in main compartment also.
Hope this helps.

MOAK

Adventurer
In the trailer? tent, chairs, table, firewood, all cookware, table, all table ware, small weber grill, charcoal, portable oven, fire grate, sleeping cots, mats, bags, pillows, camp chairs, dry food, porta potty, dual fuel cookstove and galley in the rear, 21 gallons of water, waterproof tool box mounted externally with grease gun, matches, extra tent line and stakes, lighters, grilling utensils, and an externally mounted 5 gallon jerry can I cannot think of anything else right now, but everything to set up a camp site and live there for about 5 days. The jeep is packed with jeep tools, extraction equipment, safety kit, all weather gear, boots, sandals, and hotel necessities like duffle bags with our clothing and shaving showering gear. Big 5 day ice chest, and 10 extra gallons of fuel. Next trip the ice chest will be consolidated into the galley area in the rear of the trailer. I built the trailer 6 years ago, and am constantly modifying and re-arranging things as we learn, or go to different parts of the country. as we are still learning it has become easier to adhere to the old adage,,, Take what you need, and need what you take !! :)

Attachments

• IMG_0794.jpg
    IMG_0794.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
The whole point of one of these trailers, at least in my mind, is that they are ready to go at any time. Living in Iowa people do not seem to get what it is I'm trying to build. Thanks for the feedback, it makes this project seem justified. Thanks again.

jronwood

Adventurer
I have three kids ,and a BIG truck, so ALOT goes in the trailer, AND we sleep in it alot. Now it aint small OR light 9' long 6' wide. I like being able to pull into a rest area and crash for the night especially driving a distance to your destination. It is a military trailer/ with tarp and we put a "loft" iin it to put the little ones in. All five of us, AND gear are in there....works fior us. Also, we tent exclusively so it gives us a "dry option" if a monsoon hits. I know your pull rig is smallish, but some sort of "pop up" hardside would be cool. Look ar Aliner's site, they use a cool sandwich of foam fiberglass, I keep trying to think of how to use this stuff (they are near me)....

Jronwood

Dear Ironwood,

I did but some thinking into a wood type trailer. I really like the teardrops I have been seeing on here. I do plan at some time to run the Rubicon Trail, if it stays open, as well as places like moab and I'm just concerned about a wood trailer being damaged on the trail.

Thanks, Robert

MOAK

Adventurer
The whole point of one of these trailers, at least in my mind, is that they are ready to go at any time. Living in Iowa people do not seem to get what it is I'm trying to build. Thanks for the feedback, it makes this project seem justified. Thanks again.

Very true, here in PA I get all kinds of odd looks from folks. I was at Lowes several years ago, and some wisenhiemer made a crack about it, then asked me if I thought the tires were big enough. At the time I had 30" tires on it, and calmly replied, No, I'm getting bigger tires soon, these are way too small for where we go, turned and walked away, he stood with his jaw agape. I wouldn't worry about wood, I do have an aluminum floor pan on steel mesh, the rest is 1/2" T-1-11. After I completed mine six years ago, I discovered a company building trailers very similar to the design I pulled out of my head.. google pikespeak trailers, nice product, well built, and all wood on steel frame.. BTW those teardrops are really nice, and someday we will get one for the north country, until then there is plenty to explore where there are no grizzlies.

Last edited:

FAW3

Adventurer
I sometimes drool over the outstanding designs for "camping specific" rigs of all types (back of SUV's, truck bed toppers/platforms, and the expo trailers).

But for me both my full size truck with a topper and my Bantam trailer (towed behind our Jeep or the truck) do vaired duties...sometimes hauling camping gear, camping gear and a MC, just hauling MC's, or just hauling bulk mulch from the recycle center or stuff from Home Depot.

I use plastic storage containers/stack boxes. They are set up and stay packed with gear stored in my garage. There is a tent box, a cooking box (stove and gear), a food box, a tarp/poles & lantern box, sleeping bag/pads box. For any trip we grab the boxes we need and go. In storage it keeps gear clean & dry...ready to go and well organized.

IF I had a camping specific trailer or vehicle...by all means set it up ready to go...that is the point for a small camping trailer/SUV or a big RV. If your a sort of a dual use person...then consider a easy modular system that gives you good gear organization/protection and good flexability as to storage/use...and helps you not "forget" key gear...I mean how many times did I forget to bring the extra Coleman lantern mantels or extra toilet paper...I always had the stuff...just left it behind back in the days of "make a list"...now it's already in the box!

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Mine is mostly the stuff that will stay at camp, as I usually use the trailer for a base camp.

I keep all the tools, spare parts and recovery gear in the tow rig (either my CJ or TJ) so I know I have it on the trail.

When I do keep the trailer with me on the trail, then I will move some gear from the Jeep to the trailer, to free up some space in the Jeep.

Always in the trailer:

Camp chairs
Hatchet
Box of kindling/fire starter stuff
2 burner stove
Food Box
Box for plates/pots/pans/utensils
Small table
Table that fits on rear of trailer
Water Jugs
Large cooler (small one is in Jeep)
5# propane tank/hoses
Lantern
Mr. Buddy heater
1/2 dozen 1# propane tanks
Box with coffee beans/grinder/cups/creamer/sugar and food seasonings.

Like FW#, I keep most of my gear in storage boxes, so in the event I need to use the trailer for other things, it's easy to clean out.

The RTT is on the lid, and the sleeping gear stays inside the RTT

Woods

Explorer
The reason use a trailer is I do not like packing and unpacking at home. For what ever reason, setting up and taking down camp doesn't bother me. It's very easy to describe what I keep in my trailer. Everything but food. When I leave town, I head to the store for food, pack the chuck box and cooler, hook up and go. Last weekend, I decided to go on a trip at noon on Saturday. Got my food and went camping.

Dear Woods,

That is my plan with this trailer. I have a small 4x6 trailer like the ones at Lowes and other place that i use for trash runs, etc. I did use that trailer once on a camping trip and learned a lot about what I wanted in a trailer. That seems to be the only thing that I can use as a reason to built this thing when people around here see it.

I found this picture of my nieces and brother in law camping out on their land. I had tables on the side of the trailer for my stove and prep surface. Even had a lantern pole.

Robert

Picture 046.jpgDear Woods,

Rubiconcruiser

Rubiconcruiser
Never mind what the others think, your trailer set up the way you want it can provide you not only with the essentials for an emergency but an adventure at any time, all you have to do is Hookup, and youre gone, I have seen the ruins of Katrina, and now the lesser damage of Issac, and the next one to hit ill be there as well.. If necessary I can feed 150 people an hour from my stove and kitchen setup, as long as the food is available. Ill be looking for your posts keep us informed.

jronwood

Adventurer
Robert,

Seems alot of folks use wood. I once built a wooden camper shell and then encased the outside in fiberglass, heavish, but durable. I thin kit just depends on what you are comfortable working with and how much abuse you plan to put it thru.

Jronwood

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger