What do you put in your center console?

jbaucom

Be wary of lip balm and hot weather. That shi*t can make an absolutely mess in a center console. Had a few melt over the years out here in CO and when in Moab and it takes unique ways to clean it up haha.
I carry emergency lip balm in the console for those days that I either forget to put my usual Carmex in my pocket (or lose it), and my emergency lip balm is one of those squeeze tubes of Blistex with a screw cap. I store it vertically, cap up, in a pen holder slot in the Rubbermaid organizer. Even if it gets hot and super runny, it can’t leak out.

Switch

Observer
Be wary of lip balm and hot weather. That shi*t can make an absolutely mess in a center console. Had a few melt over the years out here in CO and when in Moab and it takes unique ways to clean it up haha.

I wish my 93 4Runner had some amount of room in the console but it has a full rear heater that it sits on top of so it really doesn't have much room. I keep my emergency cash (one of many places I keep some), charging cables, small screwdrivers, and other misc stuff like my AAA card and such

Good tips!

I keep my emergency cash in the owner's manual, since nobody ever reads the manual.

ITTOG

I carry emergency lip balm in the console for those days that I either forget to put my usual Carmex in my pocket (or lose it), and my emergency lip balm is one of those squeeze tubes of Blistex with a screw cap. I store it vertically, cap up, in a pen holder slot in the Rubbermaid organizer. Even if it gets hot and super runny, it can’t leak out.
I used to do that with Carmex. One time I wasn't thinking and got it out to put on my lips and it exploded when I opened the cape. All over the truck and me. Wished it would have just leaked in the bin.

19mystic96

Isn't that a lot of trouble to keep your lip balm from melting? I guess if you can afford to live in San Francisco, that's not a big deal...

Well if you live in SF you know it never gets hot enough to melt lip balm. Lol

but to be clear, I know this is a ridiculous and unnecessary mod, but it's very convenient since the truck is used mostly for longer road trips with the family and camping, so always having something cold available is nice.

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

*Byrd Cara Cara sheepsfoot, serrated rescue knife, clipped to the underside of the lid. There's a standard gold and brown boot lace that I use as a lanyard on it. In an emergency, just open the lid and pull the boot lace.
*Mini MagLite LED or my 20 year old SureFire which has been upgraded to LED.
*Cellphone chargers (there are 2 USB charge ports in there)
*Half inch socket the size of my lug nuts
*Fisher SpacePen Bullet
*Usually toss my gas receipts in there, as if I'm going to really do anything with them. Every now and then I clear them out
*In the 2nd, lower console, I do keep the lug nut key and sometimes a Volt-Ohm multimeter. At other times that's in the truck bed in a totem or milk crate

ITTOG

*Byrd Cara Cara sheepsfoot, serrated rescue knife, clipped to the underside of the lid. There's a standard gold and brown boot lace that I use as a lanyard on it. In an emergency, just open the lid and pull the boot lace.
*Mini MagLite LED or my 20 year old SureFire which has been upgraded to LED.
*Cellphone chargers (there are 2 USB charge ports in there)
*Half inch socket the size of my lug nuts
*Fisher SpacePen Bullet
*Usually toss my gas receipts in there, as if I'm going to really do anything with them. Every now and then I clear them out
*In the 2nd, lower console, I do keep the lug nut key and sometimes a Volt-Ohm multimeter. At other times that's in the truck bed in a totem or milk crate
I had to look that one up. I was wondering what kind of superstitious, g&@... dude is this? Turns out a very cool dude indeed, just like me. ;)

I am surprised by all the people keeping tire stuff and other tools in the console. I keep this stuff under my rear seat. Someone needs to start a thread about what you keep under the rear seat and another on what you keep in the bed of your truck. Oh, and one about the glovebox.

COMTB

I used to do that with Carmex. One time I wasn't thinking and got it out to put on my lips and it exploded when I opened the cape. All over the truck and me. Wished it would have just leaked in the bin.

Was it liquid lava when it exploded? One of the reasons I stopped using Carmex, it was a mess no matter the weather especially with the altitude changes I go through normally

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
This is something I will never need, incredible how many people lose the lugnut key and expect a tire shop to have a matching one which completely defeats the purpose. The only option after a tow with a flat is.... weld on a bar to take off the offending nut.... always damaging the rim.

Insurance will cover all the costs when yer wheels are stolen but you are out of pocket if you lose the silly lug nut key.
It's not for locking lug nuts, I'm not really worried about someone stealing my factory wheels.

I just changed out the factory lug nuts from chrome to black and they came with a key.

I didn't even know they would require a key until Amazon dropped them off, lol.

Working at a dealership we had a Yukon Denali on display in the front row many moons ago. I think it had aftermarket 22's or something on it....with locking nuts. They were swiped right off the front display. The next day we watched the video of the thief steeling them. The locking nuts didn't even slow him down.

MiamiC70

Glock 43 + 2 mags of +P in a Console Vault
Esse Izula knife
Surefire CR123 flashlight
Victorinox Swiss Army Cigar Cutter Multi-Tool, Alox

Zebra F-701 pen
Sharpie marker
Bic lighters, matches
Two Chemlights
Wheel lock, tire pressure gauge
Change, keys to Yakima Skybox, Hitch lock, etc…

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Glock 43 + 2 mags of +P in a Console Vault
Esse Izula knife
Surefire CR123 flashlight
Victorinox Swiss Army Cigar Cutter Multi-Tool, Alox

Zebra F-701 pen
Sharpie marker
Bic lighters, matches
Two Chemlights
Wheel lock, tire pressure gauge
Change, keys to Yakima Skybox, Hitch lock, etc…
Right! You post reminded me I keep a folding Buck knife in there too.....

Although now I'm wondering if my daughter put it back after she used it to whittle last camping season...

Your post also reminded me I keep a tire pressure gauge and a couple lighters in there too.

Maybe I have to look and see what other crap is in there or supposed to be in there that I've forgotten about.

EDIT: Just found a spare roll of dog poo bags, a flashlight and a 4th gen Ipod nano in there too.....

Last edited:

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Like a Tacoma the wrangler console is small and storage is at a premium! Since I always carry a knife on me I don’t have one in the console to cut weight on my overloaded Jeep. I took some pics really quick to keep from cheating and saying I have all this awesome stuff!
IMG_0891.jpeg
the top tray has a pen in the lid, some batteries and one of those universal charge cords. I used to have some tissue in the lid as well that the square hole is for but I suspect it migrated to my wife’s wrangler when she got it. I guess I need to buy another pack!
IMG_0892.jpeg
under the top tray there’s an ocd organizer tray (great product) with my tire deflators, a trailer adapter, small measuring tape and ear plugs.
IMG_0893.jpeg
In the basement is my gps (that’s where that went!) along with one of my wife’s bird guides for when she can’t use her phone and more batteries. Oh, I see a headlamp as well. Great to have in an emergency! I also have a full selection of fuses bought specifically for the Jeep and all the add on wiring I’ve done. When we do travel the basement is crammed with granola bars and corn nuts or other snacks for easy access without stopping.

Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior