What does your rig weigh?

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
Easy 10K

Right before our trip I had the Ex aligned. They went to lift it and the lift went tango uniform. They told me it maxed out at 9200 and still wouldn't lift her. I think I only had about a quarter of a tank in it. It was near bare sans the fridge, on-board air, recovery gear, and the 50lbs of wiring I put under it. When we left for Colorado we had to be close to 10K between the 4 of us, all our gear and 220 more pounds of fuel. I had wanted to find some scales but forgot about it once we got under way.

Rusty-Ford

Observer
1997 4 door Ford explorer:
most tools and food for a day of wheeling with 2 passengers
on the scales a right around 4800lbs. 20 gallons of fuel.
Not bad but i soon want to add a winch and front and rear bumpers, so that will easily put me over 5000.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Truck is 8000. Thats with water and propane but no beer so it probably goes up a few hundred pounds on a good trip. Nice thing is its almost perfectly balanced, 4000 front, 4000 rear.

I run 80 psi front and rear on my 265 70 17 Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos.

KargoMaster

Hi, new here, just "weighing" in...

My rig:

07-10-09_1811.jpg

8440 pounds empty... but with a GVWR of 15,000 pounds, still a good bit of capacity left over... :D

I was searching for flatbed options of a truck camper variety when I stumbled in here... I have a feeling that my productivity will suffer for a while as I read up...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I got weighed at the dump today... 92 F350 crew on 35s with wife and three dogs on board and it came in at 3200kg or about 6800 lbs. All loaded up I expect around 7500...

t0mills

Adventurer
Hi, new here, just "weighing" in...

My rig:

07-10-09_1811.jpg

8440 pounds empty... but with a GVWR of 15,000 pounds, still a good bit of capacity left over... :D

I was searching for flatbed options of a truck camper variety when I stumbled in here... I have a feeling that my productivity will suffer for a while as I read up...

Nice 3500HD! With that 10lug Dana 80 in the back, I'm sure you could even go over 15,000 and still be ok.

You should start a thread on it. I'd be interested in hearing what motor/gearing it has, and when you plan on swapping that front I-Beam axle for a Dana 70! :sombrero:

masterplumber

Observer
Last time I weighed My '95 F350 powerstroke with a Four Wheel pop up on it I weighed 9460 lbs. I was within 40 lbs front to back on the axles. That was before loading the wife, 2 kids, food, or water but with pretty much everything else on board for a weekend or a month including tools etc... I expect going down the road we're a touch over 10K. I used to worry that being so heavy would shorten the life of the truck but it's got over 150,000 miles on it & shows no sign of slowing down. I think the heaviest I've ever had it was a combined total of about 22,000 lbs when I hooked an equipment trailer behind it with my loaded plumbing truck on it while the camper was still on the truck. It wasn't as fast as some of the newer trucks but it still handled it just fine & it's been paid off for a long time - I just was saying to my wife last night that I think I'll keep driving it for another 150,000 miles!

BTW my campers even older being an '87 model. Even when you use this stuff hard if you by quality to begin with & then take care of it - it lasts a long time.

UrbanCummin

Diesel Mechanic
my dodge 2500 diesel weighs in stock 8800lb.
with 34" tires, winch mount+winch, 40 gal water 80 gal fuel all expo stuff in the back id say it will weight up to 10,000 easy.

right now it is over 9400lb.

8800lbs is your GVW, not what your rig weighs as is. I've had my 99 2500 cummins, 4x4, ext cab short box, with standard 2 day camping gear weigh in at 7100lb with 2 occupants. This was on a certified scale.

Some of you guys have some seriously heavy rigs, add a locker to that combo and some hp and you have carnage waiting to happen.

D

DEEZLPWR

8800lbs is your GVW, not what your rig weighs as is. I've had my 99 2500 cummins, 4x4, ext cab short box, with standard 2 day camping gear weigh in at 7100lb with 2 occupants. This was on a certified scale.

Some of you guys have some seriously heavy rigs, add a locker to that combo and some hp and you have carnage waiting to happen.

i stand corrected. :) but yeah i push 400hp 800trqe on mine 2001 now and i will have a locker in the rear minimum.

UrbanCummin

Diesel Mechanic
i stand corrected. :) but yeah i push 400hp 800trqe on mine 2001 now and i will have a locker in the rear minimum.

What injectors and turbo are you using?. I'm currently at a little bit over 400hp, 1000+ torque on mine but am in the process of putting in a billet tranny, 64/14 turbo and going to some 220-240hp stick along with some other minor goodies, hoping to hit 600-650hp next time I dyno it.

D

DEEZLPWR

i am running a stock 24v isb 2001 with a new (refurbished) vp44, stock turbo/hx35 holset with stock injectors. I have the juice with attitude module and boost nipple. although i have not dyno'd it but i like to hope i am getting that power. I do feel the difference though. I also run a raptor 150 fuel pump to stock filter housing.

i plan on replacing the injectors next year with 100hp ones for now and that should be all im going to do to it. i have the nv5600 6 spd tranny

D

DEEZLPWR

i looked it up and my truck as it sits now should weigh around 6000lb unloaded with full tank of fuel.

jcbrandon

Explorer
Published specs from a manufacturer are typically for a stripped-down truck. Usually good enough as a guideline but frequently much lower than actual weight in the real world. Options like automatic transmissions, larger tires, and all the stuff that makes the cab comfortable add a lot of weight that isn't included in the published numbers.

For example, the published specs on my 2000 Dakota show a curb weight of 3,799 pounds and a GVW of 5,368. So I ought to have a usable payload of 1,569 pounds, right? Wrong. On the scales, the truck with a tank of fuel and driver aboard is about 4,800 pounds. Where'd that extra half-ton of weight sneak in? Mostly factory options. The only things I added are a fiberglass shell and a carpeted bed liner for perhaps 300 pounds total. So my usable payload has plummeted from over 1,500 pounds to less than 600 pounds.
(I've since moved up to a much bigger truck with over a ton of actual, usable payload.)

If you want to know what your truck weighs, you've got to weigh it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears