What if I had the time and money to...

billy bee

Adventurer
Hi guys:

I am something of a dreamer. If something is good, I like to pass time thinking of ways to make it better. If something is bad or goes bad, I have to fix it. I hate paying somebody else to fix my stuff. Sometimes I have to pay...but that's a route of last resort. But I spend a lot of time imagining what something might look like, how it might function, what need it will fill, etc...long before I make any changes in my rig...or even fix anything. (Hey, take a look at the FlipPac Fly process and you can start to see how I think...)

So, that's what this thread is about. Imagination. It is not a build thread. It is a what if thread. I know full well that many guys will look at this thread and say:
"This is stupit. Why would I want to waste my time dreaming up ideas with billy bee. He's a goon."​
And you'd be right. But I need an outlet right now. I am back in school* at 50 for a second career as a prison chaplain...hopefully. So, I am totally cash poor. And I have had two rounds of 7-plus-day-long migraine attacks this quarter that forced me to drop my spring classes. So, while I have lots of projects in the hopper that require (and shall receive, says my wife) my attention this summer, I have some time to dream up some new ideas for the rig.

We'll start simple. Here's the rig:
2012-11-16%2007.58.48-L.jpg

2012-11-16%2007.58.20-L.jpg

I bought it about three years ago with 75k on the odo. Rust-free. Completely stock. But it once had a 5th wheel hitch bolted in the bed. So, it's seen some towing duty. I slapped my FP on it and shoved the carpet kit in and started camping.

Since then I have installed an IBS dual battery kit. Installed two sliding windows for a pass-through. Bought a fridge. Bought a solar panel and controller, but have not yet installed them. And put new tires on the truck. Otherwise, I have kept on top of basic maintenance and added 20k to the odo.

So, here's where this gets interesting to me. My dreams, roughly in the order in which I think I might pursue them:
  • Install the solar set-up...
  • Figger a decent fridge-mounting solution...
  • Figger an awning solution...
  • Figger a roof rack solution...
  • Make the interior more livable than the carpet kit permits
  • Improve the suspension without lifting it much
  • Create an external storage solutions, like a hitch-mounted rack in the front...
  • Create better internal storage solutions, like racks/shelves that attach to FP walls...
  • Address the sucky FP tent/fly deal with Karl at SLO Sail

That's enough for now. This thread may be better off in Full-Size Domestic. Mods, feel free to move it. Meanwhile, I'll address each dream in a different post in this thread in the coming weeks. Welcome your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks guys,
bb

* Enrolled at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, CA in a Masters of Theology and Ministry with an emphasis in Recovery Ministry

Clutch

<---Pass
I may have a roof rack/awning solution for you.

Have the cross bars hinged, one so you can open the FP, then they would double as an awning when they are in the "open" position, if you slipped a piece of material
over them. Sew in loops on either end of the material like a curtain, then slide the loops down the cross bar.

billy bee

Adventurer
Well, I started to think of these preliminary projects in terms of which I should do first. Both the Thule load bars and solar panel were projects for which I had all the parts. So, I got busy with the Thule load bars, thinking I might space the bars out in such a way that I could also mount the solar panel up there. Sounded like a good idea at the time...

So, there were several things I wanted to accomplish:
  • Mount the load bars to the lid
  • Mount them in a way that I might be able to mount the solar panel up there during travel
  • Mount them in a way that I might also be able to mount a Mercedes-Benz roof cargo box up there, too.
  • Mount them in a way that I could still flip open the lid with the Thule load bars mounted

Of those four goals, I accomplished two: the bars are attached to the lid and the cargo box will fit the load bars as I have them mounted.

Here's a few pictures of what I ended up with:
smugshot_5860982-L.jpg

smugshot_2753751-L.jpg

smugshot_6305108-L.jpg

As you can see, I mounted to the roof, rather than the edges, of the lid. Mistake! I cannot open the lid without hitting the cab roof with the front cross bar. I am not convinced that mounting it to the edges would be any better. The way the lid is constructed, the rectangular steel structural components in the lid do not span the depth of the lid. So, in order to screw into the steel, I have to attach the faux gutters closer to the gasket (between the lid and shell) than to the top of the lid. In order to attach the faux gutters to the roof, I had to use unusually long stainless lag screws. I pre-drilled the fiberglass and had about an inch to go before I got to the steel (again, that is from the top of the lid).

However, the way the Thule towers sweep inward from the gutter, the vertical surface/corner of the lid edge prohibits me from mounting to the side of the lid... I may have to shim out the faux gutter mounts so the towers will clear the lid corner. That will weaken the attachment somewhat; but, I don't plan to load too much stuff up there. And there is still no guarantee that the front load bar will clear the cab of the truck when the lid is flipped open.

So, I may have to re-mount them on the lid edge, shim out the gutter feet, and move the bars back so they will clear the cab when the lid is flipped open. If you followed all of that, I am impressed...

The bars are 31" apart from each other (to fit the cargo Box) but too close to fit the solar panel lengthwise. So, I will build a little frame so I can mount the solar panel width wise across the lid and in between the load bars.

That's all I have for now. I will move the faux gutters and Thule rack and fiddle the solar panel next...

bb

billy bee

Adventurer
Your faux gutter configuration is perfect, Kermit. The Thule ones I bought don't work well on the sides of the lid. But I'll figure something out.

bb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman