what in the dually?

HINO SG

Adventurer
I remember a couple of those. Must mean '78, though.

quite sure they did exist in real life. Also remember a few similar Ford Courier (Mazda) conversions.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Back in the mid-80's there were companies that would take a regular cab Toyota pickup, cut the frame and the back of the cab and graft on a fiberglass compartment that was big enough to take another set of seats, then weld it back together. It looked goofy as hell and of course it had an enormous wheelbase since they didn't cut the bed, they added probably 2' onto the total length. I still see those around from time to time. This looks like a similar type conversion, and was probably done by the dealer before selling. never seen one on a pickup this old, though, that's definitely a mid-70's body style (although it may be that they had a newer frame and just put an older body on it.)

STREGA

Explorer
That would be a pre '83 body style and it was a aftermarket dual rear wheel setup. Toyota did do a factory rear dual wheel truck in the mid 80's and they rated it as a 1 ton truck, It came from the factory with a beefier axle and had larger brakes as well and was designed to have dual wheels (IE correct axle width) where the earlier one just had a extra wheel bolted on a standard axle. Alot of these were used in the truck rental world (Penske, Uhaul) and I actually had a '86 with a PU bed and it had fibreglass wheel cover for the outside dual tire. I mounted a Lance camper that they made in the 80's for mini trucks on it and the truck handled it well, although it could of used more power than what was offered back then, kinda wish I could have that truck/camper back.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Oh hell yeah. I remember several of the 1-ton Toyota pickups from back in the day (the 80s) where I grew up. There was one with a flatbed/stake-side bed at the local lumber yard, and one with a camper shell I'd see occasionally, both with dual rear wheels. In high school one guy had a long bed with the '1-ton' badging that made my Dad laugh. As a kid I always thought they were cool just because I didn't see many in the land of full-size pickups. I guess that was back when Toyota made just one truck for the global market and called it the Hilux everywhere else?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78