What is everyone using to power their portable fridges?

vision-quest

Observer
It depends on the battery you have in the ArkPak. I have a smaller 55ah battery to keep it light and portable. That will run the fridge for 24 hours no problem. It only takes a couple of hours on solar to charge the battery back up. Leave the solar connected all day and you will not be depleting the battery at all.

Not the best pictures but here is my setup.

Looks great! So just to get this right, you are only using an Arkpak + a solar panel and getting essentially indefinite life from your fridge? I guess the only problem would be finding a safe spot to put the solar panel when I'm out hiking. I'd attach it permanently to the roof but I have a CVT rooftop tent on there...

1Louder

Explorer
Looks great! So just to get this right, you are only using an Arkpak + a solar panel and getting essentially indefinite life from your fridge? I guess the only problem would be finding a safe spot to put the solar panel when I'm out hiking. I'd attach it permanently to the roof but I have a CVT rooftop tent on there...

In theory yes..... I have a roll out solar panel (Powerfilm) They are stupid expensive new. I got mine gently used. I clip that to my roof top tent. Could someone steal it? Sure but a portable setup will get you more available power from the solar panel vs something that is fixed and can't follow the sun.

If money was no object I would get this. Sadly I love bleeding edge technology.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-kodiak-off-grid-home-solar-system-in-a-box#/story

This article gives a pretty good explanation on battery options and run time: http://www.arkportablepower.com/blo...reezer-and-battery-life-what-you-need-to-know

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I use a Goal Zero Yeti 400 plugged into the 110v outlet on my console in my Jeep and my ARB fridge is plugged into the 12v outlet on the yeti. Very simple.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'm guessing the fridge would drain the Yeti 400 quite quickly though when the car isn't on and the Yeti isn't being charged?
With the fridge cooled to temp, full, and in ambient temps between 75-80, it will run the fridge for 24-30 hours at 40ºF. Plenty. I don't often park for more than a full day. A few times it has maintained that temp for 36 hours, but that's pushing it. If I'm parked for 24-48 hours I throw a couple solar panels on the roof and easily get 36 hours.

vision-quest

Observer
With the fridge cooled to temp, full, and in ambient temps between 75-80, it will run the fridge for 24-30 hours at 40ºF. Plenty. I don't often park for more than a full day. A few times it has maintained that temp for 36 hours, but that's pushing it. If I'm parked for 24-48 hours I throw a couple solar panels on the roof and easily get 36 hours.

Yeah that's definitely not enough for me. I often park and head out hiking for 3 days or so. I need something that can keep running non-stop about 5 days before having to recharge a battery.

1Louder

Explorer
Yeah that's definitely not enough for me. I often park and head out hiking for 3 days or so. I need something that can keep running non-stop about 5 days before having to recharge a battery.

I would buy a 150 watt panel and find a place to mount it. Even if you have to take it out of a bag and then attach. Why 150 watts? because if the placement isn't ideal you would want something that can produce the most power possible. I wouldn't trust any battery to run my fridge for 5 days. However with a good panel and a proper controller the battery could get charged up every day during daylight hours.

Also from this thread you started a while ago what battery did you end up with and did you ever wire your fridge direct to the vehicle?
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ge-Please-help-me-set-it-up-so-I-m-good-to-go

Some deals on Renogy panels can be found here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/renogy-solar-group-buy-sign-up-ends-05-15-2016.428196/

Last edited:

Raul B

Explorer
Truly appreciate the opinion. The Arkpak looks like a great device. How long would the Arkpak with a good battery inside and 90W solar panel keep the fridge running in your opinion? Obviously times will vary with weather but I'm just looking for an average scenario. I also have camera batteries to charge (DSLR, I'm a photographer) and a laptop. I was thinking of getting something like the Goal Zero Yeti 400 for those as I have a 40% discount voucher.
I know this question was not directed to me but I'm also running an arkpak to run my fridge. Without a solar panel it will run my arb fridge for 3 days without a recharge...... That with it set at 27 degrees and in the desert

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1Louder

Explorer
I know this question was not directed to me but I'm also running an arkpak to run my fridge. Without a solar panel it will run my arb fridge for 3 days without a recharge...... That with it set at 27 degrees and in the desert

What size battery? Group 31??

vision-quest

Observer

That's great news! What battery are you using? Theoretically is it possible to buy a second battery and double that? Or alternatively I could add some solar panel and hopefully make it last even longer.

vision-quest

Observer
I would buy a 150 watt panel and find a place to mount it. Even if you have to take it out of a bag and then attach. Why 150 watts? because if the placement isn't ideal you would want something that can produce the most power possible. I wouldn't trust any battery to run my fridge for 5 days. However with a good panel and a proper controller the battery could get charged up every day during daylight hours.

Also from this thread you started a while ago what battery did you end up with and did you ever wire your fridge direct to the vehicle?
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ge-Please-help-me-set-it-up-so-I-m-good-to-go

Some deals on Renogy panels can be found here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/renogy-solar-group-buy-sign-up-ends-05-15-2016.428196/

I would love to buy a large solar panel and mount it permanently on the roof on a bracket that can move, but I have a CVT rooftop tent on top already so it's not going to fit.

I didn't end up doing anything. My fridge has sat on my porch not being used because I haven't had any money to fund a solution unfortunately. Now I'm in the position to spare the cash, I'd love to get this moving for adventures I have coming up June-August.

rob mellor

Observer
I've got the ARB 50 running through a yeti 400. The yeti is plugged into the rover and charges when driving. When stopped for more then a day I charge the yeti through one of their new 100W panels. I got it through promotive so it wasn't MSRP. It's still kinda spendy for 100W panel but I love that it folds to the size of a large trapper keeper (for all you 80's kids :) It's stupid easy to hang it off the side of my Eezi Awn tent or rack http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-6-in-Gear-Tie-in-Black-2-Pack-GT6-2PK-01/203210506, crack the sunroof and plug in the yeti. Two minute deployment and the yeti will power the fridge indefinitely.

beadblaster

Observer
I just run mine of my truck battery. My battery is a odyssey 1750t and I have run the ARB fridge in 80 plus degree heat for up to 3 days. The ARB fridge has 3 settings to ensure you do not run you vehicle battery down. I have mine set on medium and have never had a problem with a dead battery. Even when set on low protection I have always been able to start my truck when the fridge shuts down due to a run down battery. I have the fridge mounted in the box of my raptor.

1Louder

Explorer
Lots of people with similar solutions providing solid advice! The key is the solar component. How quickly you can charge your battery back up will depend on the efficiency of the solar panel and of course the size of the battery. My 60 watt panel can charge a single battery back up with normal fridge use in a few hours. Like someone else mentioned in your other thread they have an 80 watt and it works great for them.

Expedition Insipred sells a roll out 90 watt panel for $450 I think. Expensive but convenient and could easily be clipped to your RTT. I am buying one of the 100 watt suitcase setups from Renogy so I can charge my trailer battery and truck the same time. Either separately with one hooked up to each battery or with my panels daisy chained together. My 60 watt can't charge two batteries at once.

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
I tapped into a hot line and used the Ctek ds250 to charge a lifeline RV 70ah battery. Works great. The Ctek has a built in solar charge controller.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998