What is gained by a gas 3/4-1 ton over 1/2 ton truck?

billiebob

I backpacked, canoe'd, and mountaineered for 40+ years. Now my knees are swollen after carrying a 30# pack over rough terrain all day and it hurts to get up off the ground in the morning.
My goal is to enjoy myself. So, I take 8000 lbs. of truck and camper to places that are off the beaten track and enjoy myself. I'll leave humping 2 weeks of gear into wilderness areas to the young.
Yep, this describes why I built the OSB BOX.

61 years old my daughter said my grandson wanted to go camping It was a 12K mile trip for them. I could never say no to a grandson.... so I built the OSB BOX in 3 weeks for $200.

The first roof was a $12 blue tarp.... I miss the blue glow.

IMG_1319.jpeg

Since then I've spent a grand and LOVE the freedom. But yeah, I'm not ever going to sleep in a tent.

Altho, I really do miss the high elevation experience.

Frank, Terry, Bill.jpeg

On the ridge to the right is Bow Hut and the two outhouses...... we were off track and due to drop into a new valley. We took a break to reconoiter and realized we were going the wrong way. Years before GPS etc...... we were in the hut 3 hours later.....

do I want to do rhis again YES

Last edited:

Kingsize24

Yep, this describes why I built the OSB BOX.

61 years old my daughter said my grandson wanted to go camping It was a 12K mile trip for them. I could never say no to a grandson.... so I built the OSB BOX in 3 weeks for $200.

The first roof was a $12 blue tarp.... I miss the blue glow.

View attachment 732717

Since then I've spent a grand and LOVE the freedom. But yeah, I'm not ever going to sleep in a tent.

Altho, I really do miss the high elevation experience.

View attachment 732718

On the ridge to the right is Bow Hut and the two outhouses...... we were off track and due to drop into a new valley. We took a break to reconoiter and realized we were going the wrong way. Years before GPS etc...... we were in the hut 3 hours later.....

do I want to do rhis again YES

THIS!!!! All day long!

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
I do, I go backpacking Sometimes. It’s wonderful, I take 30 lbs of gear on my back. Goes toe to toe with any “expedition” out there. Way more immersive in the outdoors, way more technical terrain, way more wild life, way further from the generators in the next camp spot.

Yes. you are right. Hiking is extremally immersive, though could be too much of rout-bound. From A-B.
Hiking got me here.

But, I suspect you are conflicting two similar yet different activities.
It is possible you drive your 2500lb truck to a place, make it your site and then start hiking around, any direction.
In fact, that is what I have done quite a few times (though did not have a track or that much of a gear).
I would park and do day hikes around my campsite. In the most cases 9-12 miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12