What is gained by a gas 3/4-1 ton over 1/2 ton truck?

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
If the payload is something you care off, get a relatively lower trim truck, as lower as you can tolerate which will vary by person to person.
Higher trims and off-road trims tend have lower payload.
This is typical case for the1/2 and 3/4.
(For the record a Honda Ridgeline has a just much of a payload as RAM 2500 PW)

Other question is, especially with the 3/4 tons, gas vs diesel. A lot will depend on this choice.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Light duty Full Size = Car-like Truck
Great for driving empty most of the time! High Tech Motors = MPG > Reliability + Durability
Can tow but need to carefully watch weights. F150 offers HD frame and towing enhancements to make more functional with large fuel tank (36 Gallon). Fuel economy benefits are only realized when empty. Loaded you will get the same or worse than a HD truck.

HD Full Size = Real Truck for work
Fine for daily driving but not as soft and smooth. Made to haul and tow. Reliability > MPG
Much more truck for the same money. Better value. Not as good for fuel economy when unloaded. Long term durability and reliability is better (especially Super Duty). Easy to modify (with solid axles) and HD components.

Just need to figure out what things are most important for how you plan to use the vehicle. We love our F250 but it's only used for HD things. We drive our Tacoma for "car-like truck" things. Or our car.

tacollie

Glamper
Gas 3/4 tons commonly have 3000lbs payload. I looked at a lot of highly trimmed 6.2L F250s that were over 3000lbs payload.

1/2 tons have some advantages if you keep it light and plan to leave the truck relatively stock. If big tires or a camper is in the future I would be looking at a 3/4 or 1 ton. It's relatively easy to throw 37s on a RAM or Ford 3/4 ton. Our 6.2 F250 on 35s with a FWC camper gets similar mileage to our Toyota's on 33s.

plumber mike

Adventurer
I’m probably a small minority, but I rolled the dice on a 2022 4 cylinder Silverado. One ton Payload and can legally yank 9000#. Price was reasonable in comparison to most trucks today. Best tank of 24.5 and overall average of 21.5. I don’t tow too much now but do max out payload pretty regularly. I’ve had all manner of HD’s, but a half ton is fine for us these days for road trips and family camping.
I absolutely agree that HD’s are better designed to do truck stuff, but they are tough to live with most days if you’d be driving empty.
It takes a really honest appraisal of how you’d actually use the truck verses the fantasy you have about how you’d like to use the truck. The little 4 banger has not come up short yet using it for the average joe type stuff.

surfram

The PW is an awesome truck but has a limited payload capacity(1700lbs) compared to regular 2500. I have been very happy with my 2018 Ram 2500 diesel. If I was buying a truck right now, I would buy a single rear wheel Ram 3500 for the higher payload capacity. The only limiting factor will be your budget. With a Carli or Thuren kit and the right wheel offset, you are on 37s easily.

I think the honest appraisal comment is really important. I've had 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton trucks. The cab space and options are so similar across the board that every one will get you exactly what you want, or are willing to pay for. Payload is an obvious difference where you need to know what your use will be. For me, the big difference is braking ability and a stable suspension under unexpected handling situations. You can tow a 10000 lb boat and tailer up a ramp and across a dirt lot with a 4cyl 4x4 Tacoma. You see it in small marinas across the Caribbean all the time. But when someone swerves in front of you on a back road, having a truck with a stable and level suspension, and brakes that can keep you in control is priceless. Towing and hauling on a regular basis are what HD trucks are all about. For many of us where it's a daily driver in a urban-ish setting with towing hear and there, it's hard to beat a 1/2 ton with max tow package and whatever suspension mods your life calls for. I still think of an HD truck being what it was 25 years ago. Most max tow 1/2 tons today have more power, torque, braking, towing, and off road ability out of the factory than any 3/4 ton truck had 25-30 years ago, and are significantly more reliable. Technology can sometimes be an awesome thing! All that said, what I like/want often gets in the way of just getting the basics of what I need. ;)

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I’m probably a small minority, but I rolled the dice on a 2022 4 cylinder Silverado. One ton Payload and can legally yank 9000#. Price was reasonable in comparison to most trucks today. Best tank of 24.5 and overall average of 21.5. I don’t tow too much now but do max out payload pretty regularly. I’ve had all manner of HD’s, but a half ton is fine for us these days for road trips and family camping.
I absolutely agree that HD’s are better designed to do truck stuff, but they are tough to live with most days if you’d be driving empty.
It takes a really honest appraisal of how you’d actually use the truck verses the fantasy you have about how you’d like to use the truck. The little 4 banger has not come up short yet using it for the average joe type stuff.
Totally agree with you. 90% of the time my truck is empty. I'd venture my V6 is better on gas than what I'd get with an HD.

My self appraisal led me to a tow pkg with tow mirrors and a 6'5" bed even though I wanted a F150 Tremor.

Like you, when I look at how I used my past truck, I did not need that much off road capability.

As much as I wanted to bound around off road on dusty trails.

Sure, I'd love an Super Duty Tremor or a Power Wagon maybe even a 6.6L AT4. But, 90% of the time it would be way more truck than I'd need.

Trixxx

It doesn't downshift with 37's?

not unless the hills are big and I’m going fast. Going 80 up a big hill towing 4500# it may drop into 8th. Most regular Texas hills and low 70’s and it typically sits in 10th even while towing our small trailer.
The 37’s aren’t much on a truck rated to tow 21,000 lbs and with 475 hp / 1050 lbs torque.

I got 20 mpg Saturday night driving 40 miles of interstate around 70 mph.

billiebob

the Ram PW always ranks high on these lists, and I know for the Rams and Ford's there is a solid axle over the independent suspension in front (GM still has the IFS).

What else is gained? Power, strength, payload (in most cases) and space, but is the juice worth the squeeze? HD parts for maintenance and repair, heavier tires/overall weight, etc.

I like having the ability to tow, and a camper isn't out of the picture down the road. Towing cars here and there as needed. But, it's not the norm, and I know that 1/2 tons can do that no problem.

Room for 5 and a couple pups, and daily driver and adventure a few times a year, east coast, but potentially eyeing some west coast trips
If a 150 series will do it all for you, I'd recommend a Power Wagon to get the solid axles plus all the Power Wagon options like lockers, disconnects, the ability to articulate, the built in winch.... All in the Power Wagon is a bargain.

The only short coming of a Power Wagon is altho it is based on the 2500, its payload is more like the 1500.... but if the half ton does it all for you..... why not get all those factory off road options and sold axles too.

5 plus dogs pretty much rules out the Wrangler pickup.

plumber mike

Adventurer
yup and I would be more comfortable overloading a PW by 500lbs than even having a Ridgeline 500lbs under max payload..
Yup. I’d gladly go over on the PW.
I’ve forgotten where the shifter is driving both so I consider them equally dangerous in my hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78