What is the Best Clutch to Buy?

Paul R

Adventurer
I think the clutch is starting to go on the Tacoma and I am looking around as to what to replace it with. I'm struggling with trying to find out what kind of clutch to pick up...
I definately don't want to cheap out and buy something crappy.
So is OEM the way to go or Marlin? How about ceramic vs. standard?
Any info would be appreciated.
:sombrero:

Paul R

Adventurer
calamaridog said:
How long has the original lasted?
The truck has ~121,000 miles... I am assuming it is the original...
Right now it isn't out it just slips a little on acceleration and up hills...

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I tossed in a marlin clutch assmbly the lst time and am happy. Theri kit is part trd and part aisin if I remember correctly. Don't forget to atleast look at the rear main seal if not change it anyway. Age is the biggest factor on those things so depending on the year of your truck you should atleast consider it.

corax

Explorer
I've always liked Centerforce Dual Friction clutches. Pedal pressure doesn't increase much if at all, they hold well and have those neat little weights hanging off the pressure plate.

WeightTech

"Additional clutch torque capacity by harnessing centrifugal force as engine RPM increases. Using centrifugal force and leverage on the clutch diaphragm the Centerforce weight system actually increases clamp-load with engine speed and power."

regardless of which way you go, make sure the flywheel gets resurfaced & you follow the clutch break in proceedure

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
The OEM clutch lasted about 155k in my 4Runner. I replaced it with the Trail Gear clutch and a Luk fly wheel. So far, so good. Replace the rear main seal while you're in there.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
If the OEM equipment works so well, why are you guys replacing with non OEM? Cost? Performance? Adventure?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I don't think there is a singular best clutch. OEM is a good option for the widest range of uses.
Luk is a good name, I've had excellent results with their products.
Sachs is also a good name. I've abused one of their pressure plates in my 'glass buggy for nearly 15 years.
Centerforce appears to start with a brand name pressure plate (Luk?) and add their diaphragm spring & weights. Or perhaps that is what they used to do, mine is old. I'm unimpressed with the Centerforce in my '84 yota truck in that it just works. No drama, no Rover-esque shenanigans ;), it just does it's job. However, I would not use one behind a V8 because those typically don't rev enough for the weights to matter.

Michael Slade

Untitled
ntsqd said:
I'm unimpressed with the Centerforce in my '84 yota truck in that it just works. No drama, no Rover-esque shenanigans ;), it just does it's job.

That is the reason I steer so many towards buying a Toyota.

Did you guys hear about the frame recall for the Taco's? Thousands of trucks affected. I'm sure this isn't news.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Michael Slade said:
...Did you guys hear about the frame recall for the Taco's? Thousands of trucks affected. I'm sure this isn't news.

Did they recall them or just extend the warranty on said frames? I had an affected truck and never had a single issue with the frame :confused: In fact I don't know anyone that has? I consider Utah's winters & salt as bad, but I'm guessing the frames that were having issues were back east in the "salt belt" states.

Willman

Ditto on the Centerforce Dual Friction clutches!!!....I love the one i put in my old 85' toyota!

Frame issue.....You guys talking about this one???

DSC01459.jpg

Solved!

;)

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Paul R said:
From what I gathered they are talking about the rust warranty... ;)

Actually, I'm not sure what recall Michael is referring too. I was talking about the corrosion warranty extension, but to my knowledge it has never been a recall? The rear frame reinforcements are a good call, but its still pretty rare to have any issues with the frame. I put ~150k on my 96' Taco with zero issues. You want to talk about overloaded :D 2F engine blocks, 8 rear axles coming back from Cali! No frame problems. Of course I did reinforce my new Taco :D

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
calamaridog said:
If the OEM equipment works so well, why are you guys replacing with non OEM? Cost? Performance? Adventure?

For me it was a cost issue. You have to buy everything separately and it is 3 or 4 times what an aftermarket clutch costs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle