What Is The Best Topo Map App For iPad

Elapid100

I am on iOS and just recently downloaded both MotionX and Komoot.

MotionX seems to be pretty good in my limited experience with it so far. I have not taken Komoot out for anything yet, but I like the online (browser) feature set and the navigation. There doesn't seem to be a specific overlanding setting for on & off road vehicle use, but there are road bikes and mountain bike navigation options. So perhaps a combination of those will do? Anyone else have any experience with Komoot?

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Anyone have comments on Navigon? Seems to be the Garmin version for an iPad or the like. It's just that it's 60 bucks but if it's the Garmin database downloaded to my iPad and it works with no data connection it might be usable.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I use Navigon for turn-by-turn (mostly). It's the "old comfy shoe" of apps for me that reminds me of the embedded devices we used to suction cup to our windshields years ago.

It doesn't do topo... there is a download that can give elevations (visual cues only) but it is not usagable for "real" off the road navigation.

All data is downloaded locally.

Wait for it to go on sale. I bought it for something like $30 a few years ago.

Also check out Sygic for turn-by-turn. I have it but haven't used it much at this point. Seems to be very similar.

Lots of people I know use Waze. I'm not a fan of it personally due to the amount of positional data moving over the network but it seems like it works well as a turn-by-turn app.

HTH

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Thanks,

I actually tried Sygic and the first two locations I went to it took me to the wrong place. Both times the location destination was across the street but it put me on the street on the backside of the business and I had to scramble to get to the front. Was not an easy task and I was off my data grid so I had no reliable GPS data connection. I lost a lot of confidence in it then. The second failure when it left me in a very run down part of the town but again on the backside road of the business I was looking for and had never been on well turns out the business was on a major 5 lane highway. So I ask myself why in the world wouldn't it just take me directly to the business via that highway. The highway has been there for over 15 years.

Basically I want the Garmin look and feel but in my iPad. That's all.

I'll save it to my wish list for later viewing.

Last edited:

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Have started to investigate MyTrails which I currently have running on my Blackberry Passport. Promising so far but reserve opinion. Does support offline maps. Would think the smartphone should support micorSD memory expansion for local map storage. ( Passport = 128GB, Priv = 2TB )

kackilack

Is anyone using the HEMA - USA RoadAtlas app with an iPad? It is my understanding that you can get detailed topo maps within the app but I've never used it before...

jerdog53

Explorer
I have the Hema Explorer and it does show lots of detail with selectable maps including arial topo and street but it only loads properly when connected to the internet, unless I'm doing something wrong.

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
I have the Hema Explorer and it does show lots of detail with selectable maps including arial topo and street but it only loads properly when connected to the internet, unless I'm doing something wrong.
With the current Hema Explorer app, you can download any of the Nokia Maps based layers (streets, sat, or terrain) for offline use. Those layers aren't super useful for off-highway travel though. I'm hoping other layers similar to their Australia Explorer 150k map will be available at some point :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W7Vrx3v1J0

1Louder

Explorer
Thanks,

Basically I want the Garmin look and feel but in my iPad. That's all.

I'll save it to my wish list for later viewing.

You want Garmin look and feel for on-road or off-road navigation? On road there are lots of choices CO-Pilot, Navigon, Apple, Google, and I am sure you have looked at most of them. Off road maybe Motion X although I highly prefer GAIA. GAIA doesn't look like Garmin though. It is very functional though. I have been using GAIA for 3 years I believe.

When driving in Europe I used Navigon with offline maps. I have also used PocketEarth and NavMii for offline maps (road based)

There is no one size fits all. Everyone has different wants and needs. Always a challenge.

mav204

Observer
I like the iOS app All trails, first you can create maps with notes and highlighted roads on the computer and they are them on the iOS app. you can download all the maps. They have National Geographic All Trails maps as a map layer which is the best map that I like. The only downside is that they do not have a dedicated iPad app, they use the iPhone app on the iPad. I e-mailed the company in the summer/fall 2015 and they are not planing on making a dedicated iPad app in the future.

Tazman

Adventurer
Scenic Map.

I just downloaded this app a couple months ago. I used it for a trip to Yosemite and Point Reyes. I like the fact that it does not require Internet. I learned this the hard way with another app when traveling in New Mexico, and didn't realize it needed the net. Scenic Map is not perfect but considering I have the whole US and AK, 15$ was attractive. I bought a nice mount that fits in my cup holder. I have three GPS units, buying my first Garmin from Mr. Garmin, but the screens are so FKN small they prove worthless.

The iPad, software, and cup holder mount is working well for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger