What is the greatest overland vehicle ever sold new in the US?

Scott Brady

Founder
Enter a vote for the Toyota/Lexus 100 Series.

I certainly agree. When someone that is interested in primarily the "Travel" part of overlanding, I recommend the 100. Really hard to beat and you would have to get into the really extreme end of the exploration scale to find its limits (places like Canol Road, Icelandic Glaciers, Gnarly Jungle, etc)

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
This is kind of a ridiculous question. It's like asking what's the best kind of hat. There is no right answer, you're going to need a hat that suits your needs.

There are just too many factors to consider. What kind of off-road ability you need, fuel economy, gas/diesel, interior space, whether you're going to sleep in it or on it, if it's also your daily driver or a dedicated rig etc tec etc...

For me the perfect overland vehicle is my lifted SX4. Doubles as a fuel efficient daily driver, plenty of space for my girlfriend, dogs and I, it's unique, and loads of fun to drive. If I wanted a more dedicated rig (but still a daily driver) I'd probably go with a Grand Vitara with some ARB and OME goodies. But the SX4 has never let me down so far. For most of the true 'overland' vehicles I think are overbuilt for most trips. Too big, not fuel efficient and simply not needed. But we're talking about NEED here, and who builds something only to the point of what you need?! Everyone on here probably wants to see if they can climb that hill, or get through that mud pit, or cross that river, or climb that rock, and when you can't it's fun to winch yourself out. And that's half the fun of most overland trips for some people. But then we're starting to get into a dedicated off-road rig, not an overland vehicle.

I think this question would be better suited with some different categories maybe ;)

Scott Brady

Founder
This is kind of a ridiculous question.

I don't agree. There can always be an aggregated result to any question like this. The question was not "What is the best overland vehicle for everyone?" There will always be individual needs, brand bias, etc., but discussions like this can really help new travelers narrow their choice to a few candidates.

It is the same reason why there is a 4wd of the year in many magazines, car of the year, etc. For the average consumer, there can certainly be a consensus of the vehicle that shares most of the desired attributes.

In this thread alone, we have already seen a general agreement that a Tacoma, 100 Series or 80 Series Land Cruiser is a great place to start looking - I doubt many would disagree. . .

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I apologize, "ridiculous" wasn't the correct word choice. "Pot-stirrer" is probably more accurate. And I guess seeing as this is a forum and the point of these threads is to discuss things and get your opinion out there for the benefit of others; it was a good choice.

I thoroughly enjoyed the overland journal article on the top ten vehicles. I'm glad you stuck in a few oddballs and didn't just stick to the obvious off-road biased vehicles. People need to know that you can get out there into the wild and not need to drop $20k on a dedicated rig, it helps to not discourage newcomers.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
snip... In this thread alone, we have already seen a general agreement that a Tacoma, 100 Series or 80 Series Land Cruiser is a great place to start looking - I doubt many would disagree. . .

I hope Akio Toyoda-san at the place of "fertile rice paddies" sees this.

sourdough

Adventurer
one of these !
AEVBrute_zps4b57aa07.jpg

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
So my vote would be any pickup with a topper...want to narrow that down more, a Toyota...even further a 1st gen Tacoma, the 2nd gen close behind, then followed by the 1st gen Tundra.

This is my thought also, and I use a truck (my Tundra) and a SUV (my LJ) in our travels. I'm not an SUV fan for two reasons. The first is that I don't like having everything inside the cab with me. It makes noises, can become an impendement in cases where you might have to haul an unexpected passenger or two (ie..your buddy's rig broke down), holds on to the travelling smells like campfire smoke, sweaty clothes and damp gear and requires a bit of investment in time, labor or cash to have a well thought out storage plan. Secondly, a lot of my travels involve the harvesting of critters for the freezer. I don't like a carcass riding around inside the interior with me and I refuse to haul one outside the vehicle were it can get dirty or bring unwanted attention.

While I'm quite happy with my Tundra and my LJ, I sometimes wish I could combine them into one vehicle. I sometimes consider selling them both and getting a Tacoma. But until the day comes where I don't need a work truck(and a Taco ain't one), can get over how underpowerd a Tacoma is and the poor seating position I'll probably stick with my Tundra. Or, than agian I might buy a nice 1st Gen Tacoma so I can get all the aftermarket stuff I can't eaily get for my DC Tundra, drop an LS1 into it and set it up like the Tundra currently is...

DSCN0116.jpg

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
snip... Or, than again I might buy a nice 1st Gen Tacoma so I can get all the aftermarket stuff I can't easily get for my DC Tundra, drop an LS1 into it and set it up like the Tundra currently is...

Like a nice LS1 5.7, Atlas II transfer case, and 4L60E maybe?

FZJ4Fun

Landcruiser 80 series
- Solid axles front and rear- reliable, easier to maintain, tougher with larger tires, easier to lift for the larger tires,
- Lockers front and rear- the 100 series may have the traction control, but turning the dial and having it all locked up is sweet.
- Comfortable- long trips are a breeze in the 80 series, the the 100 is even a bit more comfortable
- 4x4-offroad- its hard to beat the solid axles with coil springs for flex and lockers for traction

Only drawbacks I've found is its lacking some power, that tractor motor just keeps running though. Did I mention reliable even with
hundreds of thousands of miles on the odometer.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Like a nice LS1 5.7, Atlas II transfer case, and 4L60E maybe?

Yeah, that's the ticket...quit monkeying around and break out that gov'ment retirement money and get it done. I want to go for a ride in it after its done. And possibly go blow the doors off a certian black tundra while we're at it.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
On martinjumpr's theme, I humbly suggest that the Ford Model T qualifies as the greatest overland vehicle ever sold new in the USA. Back then driving to the village store wasn't trivial and a family outing was a true adventure.

Clutch

<---Pass
This is my thought also, and I use a truck (my Tundra) and a SUV (my LJ) in our travels. I'm not an SUV fan for two reasons. The first is that I don't like having everything inside the cab with me. It makes noises, can become an impendement in cases where you might have to haul an unexpected passenger or two (ie..your buddy's rig broke down), holds on to the travelling smells like campfire smoke, sweaty clothes and damp gear and requires a bit of investment in time, labor or cash to have a well thought out storage plan. Secondly, a lot of my travels involve the harvesting of critters for the freezer. I don't like a carcass riding around inside the interior with me and I refuse to haul one outside the vehicle were it can get dirty or bring unwanted attention.

While I'm quite happy with my Tundra and my LJ, I sometimes wish I could combine them into one vehicle. I sometimes consider selling them both and getting a Tacoma. But until the day comes where I don't need a work truck(and a Taco ain't one), can get over how underpowerd a Tacoma is and the poor seating position I'll probably stick with my Tundra. Or, than agian I might buy a nice 1st Gen Tacoma so I can get all the aftermarket stuff I can't eaily get for my DC Tundra, drop an LS1 into it and set it up like the Tundra currently is...

Noises in the passenger compartment drives me nuts. My SnugTop currently has the back window broken (should be in any day now, what the dealer tells me), so with the recently remodeling me mum's guest bath, my tool box has been riding in the cab with me....good galor! Ready to pull my hair out from the rattling.

As much as a Flip Pac is glorified tent...my girlfriend is giving me grief that I sold the Wildernest, that style camper and a 5X8' utility trailer for the dirt bikes works very well for us. So a Flip Pac is most likely in our future. I look at the pros and cons of just about every vehicle combo out there...and always come back to a extra cab pickup with a 6' bed/topper (flip pac)...just can't be beat for what we like to do.

Don't tell anyone, but I secretly like Cheby's too. Sure there are couple quirks, but they can be fixed.

This one is a diesel, I can picture a FP on the back of it. ;) Why drop a LS1 into a Tundy...when you can do this? ;)

205797_10151414453214630_1806729844_n.jpg prep14045n2.jpg
(try to ignore the stack, :D)
45479_10151414453539630_1992219339_n.jpg

plus

1109or-06+chevy-silverado-1500-plan-b+camper.jpg

*insert evil laugh here*

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Kermit, it's an LS1 in a Tacoma...the Tundybird has no shortage of available horsepower and eats Chebys regularly at the stoplight dyno. I've done the GM thing and the Mopar thing...I'm sorta liking this Toyota thing.

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
I like everyone's idea's. It is based more on what you use the vehicle for. For me there is not just one. It is not possible, and NO ONE builds anything stock that would go where I like to go. I use a ford 4x4 van to sleep in and pull my toys where I like to go weather it be Baja, Alaska, or playing on the rocks somewhere. Having two little kids the van makes traveling easier. This is my current toy and works well for us.
Thanks
P1030260-1.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
Kermit, it's an LS1 in a Tacoma...the Tundybird has no shortage of available horsepower and eats Chebys regularly at the stoplight dyno. I've done the GM thing and the Mopar thing...I'm sorta liking this Toyota thing.

ahh my bad I miss-read, (got corn-fused) it was me thinking of dropping a LS1 into a first gen Tundy bird...this and a LS (or a 5.7 Toyota engine ;)), yea haw!

IMG00110-1.jpg

While I do like the Cheby's, I just don't know if I could make the leap...owned Toyotas for waaay to long...I think going on 25 years now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan