What is your choice? powerstroke 6.0, powerstroke 6.4 and Ram3500

gtitonta

I was shopping vans vs trucks heavily last year, spoke extensively with diesel experts and Chris at Ujoint. Basically the 6.0 (with major bulletproofing work) is ....ok-ish. Nobody seems to trust the 6.4.

I went with a 3valve V10 F250 and for my uses it's great. (Low miles, local towing, looks good and carries a lot of gear for my business.) I pay for it in fuel mileage but at 5-7k miles/yr, it would take a VERY long time to offset the additional $15k initial cost and additional fuel/maintenance costs.

That said, I'll probably look at a 24v Fummins conversion at some point. My chassis and suspension is all set and it would be a good project for my shop.
c8cfe0c9a523ef8280865f2f60de10eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was thinking about V10 f350, but men it is so hard to find f350 with manual transmission. Even I find one, it is like over 200k and $12k....... That is insane.
24V fummins is interesting too. If I go that route, I would take 08-10 powerstroke body with 24v cummin. I like powerstroke 08 is cool looking.

plumber mike

Adventurer
I got rid of a 2017 Ram and now I'm daily driving a 2003 Ford 6.0 ZF6. Better fuel economy on the older trucks.....hands down. Within a mpg of my 1990 Ram 5.9 with a Getrag.

The 6.0 is not fun to work on, but there are plenty of good YouTube vids for most anything that does go wrong. No shortage of power when tuned either. Plus it was 5k for a good truck when the other two brands are 20-25k for similar year and miles.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
For Ford you want the 6.7l, or the disposable gas engines. I wouldn't touch a used 6.0, or 6.4. Heck, I won't touch any used truck. You're rolling the dice buying new today. We trade in lemons now, not service them or go through months of lemon law bs.

Manual trans? Haha. Good luck.

gtitonta

I got rid of a 2017 Ram and now I'm daily driving a 2003 Ford 6.0 ZF6. Better fuel economy on the older trucks.....hands down. Within a mpg of my 1990 Ram 5.9 with a Getrag.

The 6.0 is not fun to work on, but there are plenty of good YouTube vids for most anything that does go wrong. No shortage of power when tuned either. Plus it was 5k for a good truck when the other two brands are 20-25k for similar year and miles.
it seems price of 6.0 powerstroke is going up now. I checked multiple website, and the price is like 10k for 200k miles or so. Then, I have to replace of bunch of upgrade parts and of worn out parts, which probably will cost 6-7k I assume. This price is for parts to make the truck derivable and bulletproof for weak parts. So total is like 16-17k total. This is why I am thinking if it is worth to spend 6-7k for parts for old truck for long term use.........

gtitonta

For Ford you want the 6.7l, or the disposable gas engines. I wouldn't touch a used 6.0, or 6.4. Heck, I won't touch any used truck. You're rolling the dice buying new today. We trade in lemons now, not service them or go through months of lemon law bs.

Manual trans? Haha. Good luck.
wow. that is awful. yeah I know manual trans is hard to get nowadays. thanks for wish. LOL.

CodyY

Explorer
I was thinking about V10 f350, but men it is so hard to find f350 with manual transmission. Even I find one, it is like over 200k and $12k....... That is insane.
24V fummins is interesting too. If I go that route, I would take 08-10 powerstroke body with 24v cummin. I like powerstroke 08 is cool looking.
Yeah, mine is an 08 with 102k.

But it's got Carli/king 2.5 pintop system with deavers, 5.13 gears 37s and lockers, so I can swap the diesel in cheaper than I can replace the rest of the truck with a 6.7 of comparable capability

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Adventurous

Explorer
hahaha. Well, I believe that I am not, but I am happy to spend time for fixing as long as not constantly breaking down and not spending every weekend.

Keep in mind that for the 6.0 and 6.4L Fords, certain repairs call for the cab to be removed. That is not the case for the Ram.

Maybe earmark a few bucks for a nice 2 post lift. ;)

gtitonta

Keep in mind that for the 6.0 and 6.4L Fords, certain repairs call for the cab to be removed. That is not the case for the Ram.

Maybe earmark a few bucks for a nice 2 post lift. ;)
I saw your truck build thread. So you have ram 3500 cummin. How have she hold up so far? What stuffs have you replace for maintenance?

Adventurous

Explorer
I saw your truck build thread. So you have ram 3500 cummin. How have she hold up so far? What stuffs have you replace for maintenance?

2 years, 43K miles later, and the only things I've done outside of the basic maintenance (oil changes, fuel filters, air filter, differential fluid) and recalls has been voluntary. No breakdowns or parts consumed. Been a good truck thus far.

plumber mike

Adventurer
it seems price of 6.0 powerstroke is going up now. I checked multiple website, and the price is like 10k for 200k miles or so. Then, I have to replace of bunch of upgrade parts and of worn out parts, which probably will cost 6-7k I assume. This price is for parts to make the truck derivable and bulletproof for weak parts. So total is like 16-17k total. This is why I am thinking if it is worth to spend 6-7k for parts for old truck for long term use.........
Wow. Good news for me then. I gave $5700 at the local dealer about 6 months ago and it was already "bulletproofed". It had like 145k on it. I wanted the manual trans ,tcase, hubs, and never gave the 6.0 much consideration. It is a great and powerful beast that uses no DEF. It cut my fuel bill significantly. That said, after looking under the hood enough times now, roadside service is not really an option.

I've tossed too much cash at old trucks in my life. Some of them it was great and some were just lessons. I bought my wife a new 2019 Nissan Titan with the cummins when I sold my 2017 Ram. It looks far easier to work on compared to the 6.0 and even the fully emmissioned 6.7. It has its shortcomings too, but it's a darn fine domestic fullsize not often considered.

There is a reason the old 5.9's fetch what they do. Good power. Good economy. Good reliability. Fairly easy to fit normal tools in the engine bay. Etc. It may be worth paying a little more to get exactly what you want so you can feel good about any cash tossed at it.

Good luck on the hunt.

gtitonta

2 years, 43K miles later, and the only things I've done outside of the basic maintenance (oil changes, fuel filters, air filter, differential fluid) and recalls has been voluntary. No breakdowns or parts consumed. Been a good truck thus far.
thanks! I am very attracted toward RAM.....

gtitonta

Wow. Good news for me then. I gave $5700 at the local dealer about 6 months ago and it was already "bulletproofed". It had like 145k on it. I wanted the manual trans ,tcase, hubs, and never gave the 6.0 much consideration. It is a great and powerful beast that uses no DEF. It cut my fuel bill significantly. That said, after looking under the hood enough times now, roadside service is not really an option.

I've tossed too much cash at old trucks in my life. Some of them it was great and some were just lessons. I bought my wife a new 2019 Nissan Titan with the cummins when I sold my 2017 Ram. It looks far easier to work on compared to the 6.0 and even the fully emmissioned 6.7. It has its shortcomings too, but it's a darn fine domestic fullsize not often considered.

There is a reason the old 5.9's fetch what they do. Good power. Good economy. Good reliability. Fairly easy to fit normal tools in the engine bay. Etc. It may be worth paying a little more to get exactly what you want so you can feel good about any cash tossed at it.

Good luck on the hunt.
Oh my how did you find that kind of deal. $5700 bulletproofed?? that is really good deal although question is how "bulletproof" though. Just delete EGR cooler and tuned?? or actually upgraded cooler, studded, upgrade utc fitting etc?? either way, 145k for $5700 with manual is good deal. If I get 6.0 for that price, then I might consider 6.0. No wonder why people are attracted 6.0. thanks for suggestion of 5.9 cummin. I know cummin 5.9 and 6.7 both easy to work and inline 6 so it is more reliable engine.

Darwin

Explorer
Only masochists are attracted to a 6.0, and lunatics are attracted to 6.4's. Buy whatever one you want, enjoy, you said you like fixin stuff and they will give you plenty to fix, along with a lighter wallet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998