What Jack do you carry?

kerry

Expedition Leader
Had a flat today. I suspected my bottle Jack might be too tall to fit under the axle with a flat tire. I was correct. Ended up jacking on the bottom of the spring. It worked but not ideal. What are others doing? 99FG

Attachments

• 8EBF943D-15EE-49F0-A0BE-ECD005998AD7.jpeg
    8EBF943D-15EE-49F0-A0BE-ECD005998AD7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24

ITTOG

I don't like to complicate things so I usually just use what came with my vehicle. Hasn't let me down yet.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

billiebob

The one the manufacturer supplied.
Far lighter than any bottle jack or jack all.

Before doing anything like changing jacks,,,,, do the research, make sure your change will work.
But in this day of overlanding GVWR concerns.... do not pick a heavier jack lol.

ps, in 40 years I've had 4 flats. Why even think about jacks. Better to invest in quality, brand name tires

Last edited:

LoupGarou

I can’t remember when I last physically changed a tire but I have plugged many still mounted to the vehicle. A tire plug kit and a portable air compressor have been my friends.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
First drive the flat tyre up on to a suitable block of wood to raise it high enough to get the jack under the axle/spring plate. Under the spring near the axle tube is also a suitable position for jacking.
That 12 tonner is way over kill for a canter, we're not trying to lift the whole vehicle of the ground.

Dan.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I can’t remember when I last physically changed a tire but I have plugged many still mounted to the vehicle. A tire plug kit and a portable air compressor have been my friends.
I had both. It was a long slice in the tire. Did not appear pluggable

kerry

Expedition Leader
First drive the flat tyre up on to a suitable block of wood to raise it high enough to get the jack under the axle/spring plate. Under the spring near the axle tube is also a suitable position for jacking.
That 12 tonner is way over kill for a canter, we're not trying to lift the whole vehicle of the ground.

Dan.
I did not think of driving the flat tire onto a piece of wood. Good idea. 12 tons is what I happened to have. It was smaller than my 20 ton. :).

Zuber

The Earth Cruiser Fuso's come with a 20 ton, air over oil bottle jack. If the tire was flat I don't think the jack would fit. But, I've got the leveling blocks. The EC's also have a socket under the spring clamp plate that receives the top of the jack.

kerry

Expedition Leader
The Earth Cruiser Fuso's come with a 20 ton, air over oil bottle jack. If the tire was flat I don't think the jack would fit. But, I've got the leveling blocks. The EC's also have a socket under the spring clamp plate that receives the top of the jack.
I have one of those I used on our Wanderlodge. Seems like overkill on an FG., and I don’t have air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan