What kind of G-Wagen will $15-20k buy?

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Sure do admire them, but am surprised at their resale values given the economy and buyer deterting cost of ownership. Is there a modern version in this price range worth considering?

JOnesbilt24

I saw a few 2002 at the manhiem auction going for 16-20K. They all have 150-250K miles and several issues.

I saw 2 lately on CG San Diego one for $8000 G230 which was a grey market import from 197? Germany clear ca title but needed a smog test . It apparently was a former border vehicle. The other is listed below again CG San Diego. To me though the dash board looks kinda hokey, maybe it was a right hand vehicle that got swapped to right hand drive. So keep looking on Craigs list they are out there, but be careful you know the reputation CG has.

Later Evan

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/3131427774.html

Canada G

Observer
I saw 2 lately on CG San Diego one for $8000 G230 which was a grey market import from 197? Germany clear ca title but needed a smog test . It apparently was a former border vehicle. The other is listed below again CG San Diego. To me though the dash board looks kinda hokey, maybe it was a right hand vehicle that got swapped to right hand drive. So keep looking on Craigs list they are out there, but be careful you know the reputation CG has.

Later Evan

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/3131427774.html

I would't touch the latest one with a stick. the instument cluster has been changed and who knows what the reason was for that. All the 463 chrome trim and bumpers on a 460 looks 'want a 463 but don't have the money'

Flagster

Expedition Leader
How is the reliability of the newer Gs...I remember my uncle saying back in 2004 his new G was the most unreliable vehicle he had ever owned in over 50 years...this coming from a 50s vintage triumph, jag, etc owner made me very hesitant...
He must have had that thing in every month to the dealer for some new electronic glitch/diffs never actuated/etc...scary to think of the costs when off warranty...the manual for that beast was like 8 inches thick...
But they are sexy:) I have to say every time I see one cruisin around PHX I am tempted.

ScottReb

Adventurer
Talk with some people that actually own them. And use them and work on them themselves. There are a couple suppliers of parts now besides Mercedes. Parts are not really any more expensive. Like LR people will tell you parts are expensive. Really most parts in my experience w a D II they are similar. Just cant run to any napa and get them. A couple different forum a fair amount of DIY thread s for maintenance, not as much as IH8MUD has for LC or Discoweb for LRs but they are getting out there. I think they fact that they are becoming available at reasonable prices now helps. I also think there will be more info and support as more people realize they are a great truck and another option.
Think about for $20000 or so you can find a 2002 it already has lockers around solid axles tire in the back. Throw 32" tires and you're done. The 5 l engine is totally reliable, look at the history of that engine, all the electrical gremlin have been sorted and have repair options and the know how available. You don't need to upgrade anything to have a vehicle that looks great, IMHO, and will go just about anywhere. Compare that to a 100 series, which I love and have owned. 2002 about $12000+. Now to look less like a mall cruiser and not have the rear end sag you need lift, front and rear bumpers. Before you know you're at $20000 and you don't have lockers.
Im not saying its the best or better than anything else. Just saying it is a very viable option. If you like it do some research and buy one. God luck.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

ScottReb

Adventurer
There a bit of info at clubgwagen and 3 pointed star. Nowhere near as much as other brand specific.

ScottReb

Adventurer
That cincinati CL is a Europa import. Scott Brady has one his a G320 vs 500. All before 2002 are either Europa or grayish market vehicles. Europa is very easy to reg is any state. Just like with import you may have issues with other Gs younger than 25 years old. Make sure you know. There are plenty of stories with people trying to get a G or LR into their state.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Look at clubgwagen.com as there is a ton of info on them there. Personally, I don't think I'd consider a 463 series, as acquisition cost + pathetic fuel economy, coupled to expensive parts repair and replacement make them still a rich person's vehicle in my mind's eye. As such, if you really want a G, I'd find a 460 series. We've got an '85 300GD that gets 23 mpg that we imported from Germany, but there are a few lingering around. The older "purpose built" Gs are the most desirable in my mind's eye.

JOnesbilt24

You can get parts for them well 2002 models and up at least from autozone...So they are getting more affordable all the time.

ScottReb

Adventurer
Diesel is everyone first choice. Mine as well. That wouldnt stop me from getting a petrol G. MPG is similar as 100 TLC, Discovery (Ive owned both those) and most V8 SUV's. My only knowledge of the G is via a work friend who has an 05. He has over 100K. Mixed he states about 14+. His is stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger