What kind of taser....

huntoon

Adventurer
I live in San Diego. My girlfriends goes running 5+ miles everyday. Catch my drift?

I want to get her a taser. I figure a good taser for the field would be a good one for jogging. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
JON

PS: I already tried to convince her to carry a saturday night special but she wasn't going for it.

nbleak21

Adventurer
pepper spray (CS spray if you can get it) would probably be a lot better option in my opinion.

I've been tased and sprayed (military) and can definitely say it took me longer to recover from a spray than a quick jolt. Since your old lady is already running 5+ miles, chances are she'll be in better shape then any prospective offender, and she'll have running shoes on.

Spray allows you to shoot from a distance of 5-10ft accurately, while tasers only work at arms length... not to mention lighter and "safer"

just some things to think about.

huntoon

Adventurer
cool, thanks for the personal experience based information. good point about the weight too.

I heard from some local law enforcement that the offenders will try to trick the girls by placing a dead snake on the trail and saying something like " whoa, watch out right here. there's a snake" the girl will slow down and negotiate a smaller area within grabbing distance of the offender. needless to say, my GF won't be heeding to these situations without elevated caution.

it sucks to have so much fear and use so much caution, but it seems prudent right now.

S

Street Wolf

X26, trust me. Expensive, but the only one to have. Every other taser out there will just put her in a much worse situation.

Pepper spray is a horrible option for self defense and shouldn't even be considered.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
1344261.jpg

huntoon

Adventurer

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I think pepper spray would be more efffective than a Taser. The first line of defense is to be aware of your surroundings. I hike the trails of Torrey Pines State Park and am amazed by how many young and not so young women run with both ears plugged into Ipods. A guy could assault them easily. Ipodpeeps repeatedly walk out in front of cars,etc. Earth to Ipodpeeps,come in please!

huntoon

Adventurer
just like anything else, the best defense is your brain/situational awareness/wisdom. I am going with the spray. I thought the taser would be cool but it seems like the spray is better suited for the jogger/light hiker.
now, being 'with vehicle', you could easily bring along a taser and any other weapon.

I guess my original thought was something tat could be strapped to my SO's arm or clipped on to her ipod arm strap, and the spray that I ordered from Amazon in the pink case seems to fit the bill.

thanks,
JON

I think pepper spray would be more efffective than a Taser.

That's a big negative!

The Taser will take you out of the game if you are hit properly. You get an initial 5 second ride if you release the trigger but if you hold it down it will go till the batteries give out if you want. The problem with using the Taser is that both prongs have to make contact for it to work. This is sometimes hard to accomplish depending on the distance between you and the attacker and what clothing they are wearing. I think the civilian model only reaches out to 15ft. There are a few instances where the suspect had a solid hit and the Taser did not do anything to them. Very, very rare though.

Pepper spray is no fun either but a person can still fight through it. Most likely it will buy you enough time to escape but if the person is motivated to hurt you, drunk, or high the effects diminish.

I've had both done to me. I can fight through the spray to complete an "arrest" but the Taser stood me up on my tiptoes and flopped me over backwards like a tree being felled. Would rather take 10 shots of spray to the 1 Taser ride...

just like anything else, the best defense is your brain/situational awareness/wisdom. I am going with the spray. I thought the taser would be cool but it seems like the spray is better suited for the jogger/light hiker.

Good choice. The Taser is not all that heavy but it is bulky. I wouldn't want to run too far with one strapped to my leg/arm/hip. They are also pricey so I'm sure you saved some moolah there!

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Just to add my minor $.02 for your consideration....

If you get a stun device of some kind, definitely get her a Taser C2. It enables one to engage the suspect prior to physical contact. But, if you miss with the darts (has happened to me twice dealing with rapidly moving targets) you still have the device to use as a direct contact stun device. Or, in the case of one dart impacting, you can complete the circuit by making contact with the end of the Taser on the suspect's person.

taser_c2_metallic_pink5-thumb.jpg

If you go with a personal defense spray, get something in a ballistic stream. It would have a better chance of making contact with the suspect and not the user - a windy day could have you coughing worse than the suspect if you are using a traditional aerosol carrier. But I have seen people fight right through an entire can of oleresin capsicum painted upon their face with almost no ill effect, so be aware that it may not work.

Bottom line, there is no 100% reliable non-lethal self defense system to carry, but by being mentally alert and in tune with your environment gives you a great advantage and could keep you from being targeted at all. (if more people existed in this condition, I am certain there would be less victims in the world. the wolves look for easy prey) Also, have the mindset that if one is attacked, you are not going to go down easy. Fight, fight, fight, and never give up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears