What kinda highway MPG's you getting with your full sized rig?

Carl2500

Observer
Apologies if there's a recent similar thread, couldn't find it with search feature at least.

Took a short (100 mile) trip with the truck and camper, and figured I was getting about 13.5 mpg's highway going about 70mph.

Just wondering how that compares to others using full sized rigs.

My truck started as a project I liked to take to shows, and use on the trails up in northern Michigan, so it's a little less than stock, ha.

Some factors that are probably hurting my mileage just a bit; Weighs in at 8200lbs, 38X15.50 tires, 10" lift, and 4.10 gearing, so given all that, how am I doin in the mileage department?

Last edited:

911regular

Adventurer
you are doing pretty well considering tire size, relatively lower gears, and heavy add ons,,,mine is between 15-20 depending on if I am pulling a trailer, highway travel, etc,,,,getting ready to add 250+lbs of winch and winch plate soon, so we will see how that affects it.

ExpoMike

Our rig, '97 Ram CTD CC/LB, 4x4, 285/75-16 BFG AT's, 3.55 gears, stock engine, FWC Grandby, weighs loaded up at 8500 lbs., has National Springs which at current load, sits at stock height (camper dropped the rear 2", front 1" with stock springs), if I stay in the 65-70 mph range, get 16-17 mpg. When I towed a Uhaul car trailer and ~4800 vehicle, I was getting 15 mpg.

My biggest problem is wind drag from the camper. If I can some air deflector to help split the air around the camper better, I could pick up another 1-2 mpg. If I run above 70 mph, mileage drops.

That's my setup.

Calplaya

Adventurer
my burban typically gets around 12 mpg on highway jaunts less then 30 miles, but i have occasionally seen 13 and even 14 on longer hauls, but those numbers are pretty rare. think i may just need to do a tune up tho.

Carl2500

Observer
I can't justify a new turbo to pick up a couple MPG's, but the bearings in mine are starting to whine a little more than usual.

When the time comes to get a new one, I'm going to either go the VGT route, or get one with a custom MAP that has it's sweet spot right at 1750 RPMs, which is what I'm running at about 65MPH.

The air deflector seems like a good idea, but with my cab-over being about 6" in front of the windshield, I don't see how one would work for me, would love to see pics of one with a camper. I do know when I open the rear window going down the highway I get some hurricane force winds coming through, since the cab-over's acting like a giant scoop, can't be too efficient :D

oldestof11

Observer
I have gotten 23.3mpg with a Reg cab, long bed, 4.10's, 33x12.5x16.5 tires, and a 5spd. This is the avg over a 500+ mile trip.

Otherwise running into Chicago for family functions I get 21-20mpg.

Carl2500

Observer
Sure here's a pic.

Yeah the wheels are a little 'blingy' but I'll run 'em 'till it's time for new tires, then get something different.

Attachments

• 5689.jpg
    5689.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 10

Spencinator

Adventurer
Saw 24mpg once, unloaded single cab long bed 24v cummins auto 35's, 3.55s, 4.5in lift. Now I'm at 3in lift, 35's, same gears, auto, canopy and haven't taken a long trip but I know I'm still getting good mileage. Guessing 20-22mpg. Truck weighs in at around 6500lbs. This is at 70-75mph. We'll see what I get with the 5 speed swap.

Rot Box

Explorer
I'm all over the radar and it mostly depends on how heavy the load is in my F350. Unloaded on the highway I've almost hit 20mpg a few times (19.7 was the best) and the worst I've ever gotten was 11mph with a big load and a constant headwind. I typically get around 15-17mpg with or without the FWC just cruising around, but it seems like anytime I hook up a trailer of any size it drops down to 14 or less. Either way I can't complain too much it gets the job done and its paid for :bike_rider:

Revco

Adventurer
yea i wish i was getting even 14 i barely push 11 right now in my 92 suburban 454tbi till i get some stuff fixed

This is the first and only vehicle I have ever driven like a sissy, mostly due to the fact that it gets such terrible mileage in comparison to my previous vehicles. Also the fact that even though it has a 454, it just doesn't give me the satisfaction when I push down the go pedal, so I don't even bother trying. I got 10.8mpg pulling my 18' steel car hauler, loaded with a Honda Accord. Of course that's all pretty flat highway miles averaging 65-70mph.

The funny thing is, eventually I'm going to get rid of the Suburban in favor of a 460ci Ford in my F250. It won't get any better fuel mileage, but the fun factor will be there since the truck weighs about half of what the Suburban does. The 454 puts out 230hp/385lbft, and the 460 puts out 280hp/410lbft. Plus less parasitic loss with the C6 than the 4L80E, which puts more power to the rear wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle