What Lights to get ???

thecriscokid

Explorer
I am looking to get a few lights for my rig including 2 driving and 2-3 work lights
I don't think that I need to go to HID's for now and I am open to suggestions as well as used options ( if anyone is upgrading) Ideally I want some lights that I can use on the back roads and that are not so blinding allowing me to use them more often. Also do any of you use lower output lights pointing outward (around the corner) then brighter lights pointing forward. Thanks

Pics of my rig soon

thecriscokid

Explorer
I just read a great review on the 968 and also really like their simple work light as well. I was also looking at the Hella 500, I do like that they make the same light in both driving and fog beams and about $65 a pair with the wiring harness

snipecatcher

Adventurer
thecriscokid said:
I just read a great review on the 968 and also really like their simple work light as well. I was also looking at the Hella 500, I do like that they make the same light in both driving and fog beams and about $65 a pair with the wiring harness

After owning a pair of 500's I wouldn't buy another. My next lights will be Lightforce. They seem to be some of the best incandescent lights out there. I've been using cheapo 100w Pro-Comp lights for years and they do all I need, but they aren't constructed too well, and the rivets rattle loose.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
thecriscokid said:
That's the one I read. The 968's seem like a great place to start. I will have to look into the $100 HID that are listed above. I feel like if I go that bright than I will have to upgrade everything.

Don't assume you have to upgrade much else to put in HID. Take a good hard look at those HIDs. The price is amazing!

CYi5

Explorer
I started with IPF 968's, a great choice for general driving and trail-riding. I've since upgraded to Hella 4000's converted to 6k HID's. Obviously the difference is night and day, but in my opinion the IPF 968 package is the best deal on the market. Their wiring harnesses are top notch and make for a super simple installation as compared to the iffy hella 500 instructions i've heard.

Paul R

Adventurer
I have the HID's and I am happy with mine.
I previously had the hella 500's and I couldn't stand them.
I have seen the IPF's in action and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them.
I have no experience with Lightforce though so I can't say one way or another but I'm sure they are a great light.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
thecriscokid said:
That's the one I read. The 968's seem like a great place to start. I will have to look into the $100 HID that are listed above. I feel like if I go that bright than I will have to upgrade everything.

The HID's are 35W each vs 100W each. That's a huge difference in amperage. Two 35W HID's draw about 5 amps @ 14V, two 100W lights draw 14 amps @ 14V

The kit contains good quality wire, and all you have to supply is a switch and a relay if you wish to tie them into your high beam circuit.

xcmountain80 said:
Still the down side with HID's is you can't switch em on and off and back on again as fast as you might like. Not to mention bulb life and replacement cost.

Aaron

Once warmed up, they come on instantly. I have mine wired into the dimmer switch via relay, and since I tend to drive in Elk country at night, use them in conjunction with the high beams on the highway.

3000 hour bulb life equates to a LOT of night driving. If they last 3000 hours, that's 500 trips if you burn'm for 6 hours at a time. Most of the time my use is much less than six hours - more like 1 or 2 hours max. The bulbs are coming down - not cheap, but they aren't tooooooo bad at about $60.00 each.

Mark

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
VisionX?

I'm a big fan of the VisionX Motorsports lights. I am not seeing any metion of them here on ExPo but they are definitely well known in the Baja curcuit. They do have a line of incandescent lights but are better known for their HID and LED lighting. They are definitely the front runners in using LED for offroad lighting applications. In a lot of ways LED makes a lot of sense.

1) Vibration resistance
2) Lower amp draw
3) Long Life
4) Less heat

Check them out. I am putting a set of the adjustable beam HID 6503 on my new ARB bumper in a week or so. They are in-cab adjustable from pencil spot to flood beam at the touch of a button.

When I get a roof rack speced and built for an RTT I plan to add a 42" LED bar across the front for additional lighting. After seeing the review pics on their site between regular high-beams vs. two HID 6500 series vs. Xmitter 42" LED bar I was sold: Xmitter Page

VisionX Offroad

Last edited:

Willman

I have had great luck with my Hella 500's!

DSC03811.jpg

But......Ether some LightForce HID's or their 170's or 240's will be replacing the Hella's soon!

FlyingWil's got some killer 240 Lighforce up front!!!

DSC00146.JPG

:)

bjowett

Adventurer
I have few extra Hella work lights floating around, most are new. Some are 2 bulb double beam w/ free form, others are single free form reflector.... I'll dig up some pics if they interest you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman