What makes an Overland vehicle

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
no swaybars front or rear

HD uniball UCAs

spacers up front to level it.

i think i have about 10" of travel up front

about 11-12" in the back but the upper control arm on the drivers side hits the gas tank, thanks jeep engineers. planning on going with a radius arm set up in the rear with a panhard bar.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I have searched just a little and found the selecting an expedition vehicle link as well as some other member links, which causes me to pause and ask a few questions.

Now, I don't want to buy new as I already have what I believe to be an excellent Overland vehicle. What I want to know is why is it recommended to have a two inch lift and not a four. I somewhat understand why skinny tall tires are preferred over a wide proportioned tire. Are there any Gurus or outside links that will help me get on track to building my Commander into a great family Overlander?
What makes a vehicle an expedition vehicle? The willingness to take it to places. My Vespa Scooter was as much of an expedition vehicle back when I was 18 as my Rubi Unlimited is now, maybe even more because back then being single I had a lot less responsibilities and commitments and I strapped my tent on her and took off about every second weekend.

I had a Commander for about 16 months; 2" lift, 245/75-17 BFG ATs, 3rd row seats replaced by a simple plywood box. The Commander was a very comfortable travel vehicle with good off-the-pavement capabilities. My dislikes: Waaaaaay too heavy (in my opinion), atrocious fuel mileage, about 15.5 mpg on average and - I had an 2006 - a ridiculously small 19 gallon fuel tank, giving me a range of about 250 miles. If I would have kept the Commander, the only additional mod I would have done would have been extending the fuel range. Other than that, I think the Commander is a very good Overlander, not too big, but still offering the possibility to comfortably sleep in the back.

My .02 centimes

udoxx

Observer
no swaybars front or rear
spacers up front to level it.

So, I take it you didn't get the OME HD version for addition weight?

What makes a vehicle an expedition vehicle? The willingness to take it to places. My Vespa Scooter was as much of an expedition vehicle back when I was 18 as my Rubi Unlimited is now, maybe even more because back then being single I had a lot less responsibilities and commitments and I strapped my tent on her and took off about every second weekend.

I had a Commander for about 16 months; 2" lift, 245/75-17 BFG ATs, 3rd row seats replaced by a simple plywood box. The Commander was a very comfortable travel vehicle with good off-the-pavement capabilities. My dislikes: Waaaaaay too heavy (in my opinion), atrocious fuel mileage, about 15.5 mpg on average and - I had an 2006 - a ridiculously small 19 gallon fuel tank, giving me a range of about 250 miles. If I would have kept the Commander, the only additional mod I would have done would have been extending the fuel range. Other than that, I think the Commander is a very good Overlander, not too big, but still offering the possibility to comfortably sleep in the back.

My .02 centimes

I like your definition I just want to go more back country locations than a Vespa can get me and my fam, lol!

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
i have the HD springs on the front. i will add the HD springs in the back soon.

i also plan on going to synthetic winch line and that will lighten up the front about 50 lbs.

bumper and skid plate weighs around 125 lbs. the winch weighs about 85 lbs with steel cable. theres a lot of weight up front.

Spenser

Adventurer
Commander as Overlander

Another Commander owner weighing in here.

Good things about it is size, I came to it from a Wrangler and full size GMC. You can take a dog box in the back, have room for luggage and related toys with or without the back seat up/down. Second, it is a jeep, and the computer handles most of the "hard work" for you.

Down side, it is heavy, and is down on torque but cruises at highway speeds very well. Addition of Cold Air kit helps some, as does the new Superchips tuner for the jeep, fixes some of the shift point issues and smooths the power band.

Suspension is soft from the factory. The best thing that I have done to mine is add the bilstein shocks and OME springs. They bolted right on, leveled the vehicle and made it much more "stable" off road and on highway for that matter.

Spenser

Adventurer
well, I thought the factory shocks were soft and the commander didnt feel as "tight" as I wanted it to. I added them first, the tried the Rusty's kit to level and lift, found that too soft for my liking and added the OME springs which really did the trick. Jeep handles much better, and ride is not any harder feeling than when stock. I also got about a 2 inch lift with the springs and shocks, without purchasing lift kit. Really makes it sit like it should have when it left the factory.

I also added the rock sliders and mopar brush guard with driving lights and BFG tires. It really makes a good all around driver, fishing, backroads, off road hauling things vehicle. It isnt a rock climber, but is the right size, width and set up for eastern and southern states.

alosix

Expedition Leader
There are lockers for the rear axles...no one has put them in because no locker manufacturer lists the commander or 05 and up Grand on their website. This has caused owners to think that there is no locker that will fit. No one has wanted to test it out. But I found out yesterday, and have confirmed with Eaton and Auburn that they do have lockers that will fit both the WK and XK.

Ah, that's awesome news.. Haven't been keeping up with those lately.

udoxx

Observer
Excellent info everybody, seems the 2 in is the way to go for my application. The 255/75/17 will fit nicely just have to figure out offset and backspacing. The narrow size will help with MPG also.

Spenser

Adventurer
UDOXX-check the Commander Forum. Those tires might work on stock wheels with no issues. They have a sticky with tire fit and clearance and what is needed to make them fit. The 255 is a common upsize, and running them on mine, but I stuck with the 65. I dont have it with me today to confirm, but see the forum, it will also help with spacing and offsets and related wheel questions

RgrBox

Adventurer
I had an Izuzu Trooper II back when I was in the Army, and my wife and I drove all over the place traveling in it.. she was sleep in, on, under next to.. I loved that truck.. cried when I barely got her to the garage to trade in for a smaller pick-up.. which I sold shortly afterwards..

I've travelled a good bit with my present 4x4.. but not like I did before.. I guess it's the kid factor.. or maybe not having a weekend off from work in 10 years.. but all fo that changes soon.. I get my weekends back, and even my weeks.. and I plane to go camping twice already in September planned..

udoxx

Observer
UDOXX-check the Commander Forum. Those tires might work on stock wheels with no issues. They have a sticky with tire fit and clearance and what is needed to make them fit. The 255 is a common upsize, and running them on mine, but I stuck with the 65. I dont have it with me today to confirm, but see the forum, it will also help with spacing and offsets and related wheel questions

Why did you stick with 65s?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12