What next-3rd gen 4Runner steering Q's

dport

Adventurer
PICS ADDED BELOW. I have an 01 4Runner 4wd with 153K on it. I got it 15 months ago, and I'm the third owner. Everything about the vehicle says it was well taken care of in it's past life, and it has been our family vehicle since we came to own it. So, this vehicle has not been offroad, much less abused. About 6 weeks ago, I noticed a rapid change in the steering one day. I was doing a lot of windy backroad driving and started to feel like I couldn't controll the rig. I was going through a curve at one point, and could actually hear the front tires squeeling through the curve. The squeeling was louder while navigating a right curve. When going through a left curve, the vehicle wanted to pull its self through the turn. Limp home and had it aligned as a starting point. Shop said the rack and pinion was shot. Needed it the next day, so went ahead with the alignment and drove it for a cpl of days with no problems. Then once again, it felt like something went to hell all at once. The vehicle started doing the same thing again. Did the rack and pinion, as well as told the mechanic to check everything with a fine tooth comb. Mech said he couldn't find anything else wrong. Vehicle was aligned again, and driven 200 or so miles. Steering goes to hell again. Mech says lower BJ's. During this I found out the shop had screwed me on some things in the past, so I took it home and did the BJ's myself. This did nothing to help the steering! It still pulls right, but then wants to steer its self through a left turn. FWIW, I did not realign it after the LBJ were installed, trying to make sure it's right before I pay for a 3rd alignment this month. Any suggestions? Should I start looking to the rear, maybe a sheared control arm bolt....loosing my mind and the wife is tired of rocking a ford tauras. After selling the taco, I just want to drive a yota again.

Last edited:

SilverBullet

Explorer
Sound slike your Rack still si messed up. I drive a 98 and have had no problems, but my friend with a 2001 just had similar issues and had to replace the steering pump and rack system. Apparently, it was worn down so it would aligh, then rattle itself loose again and throw off allignment. Make sure the shop did not mess up on that if they did something else wrong before.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
First suggestion: Firestone Lifetime alignment.

Second suggestion: Have another shop look at the rack. As SilverBullet suggested, it sounds like it still has some problems.

Third Suggestion: Check Sway Bar links. Just trust me on this one. Steering issues an a non-functional front sway bar is a bad combination.

Basically, you should take a good long look under there and take pictures of anything that looks out of the ordinary and post them here. It will be easier to help with a visual. Maybe you could snap pics of the ball joints as well.

Last edited:

dport

Adventurer
Also forgot to add that there is a shimmy in the front when applying the brakes. Feels just like slightly warped rotors, but will disappear if there is steering wheel input, such as braking while exiting the interstate onto a curved offramp. If braking down a long straight grade it can become uncontrollable. It only does this when it feels like I guess, the shimmy is not always present.

Applejack

Explorer
Sounds to me like you need a lift kit, bumpers, winch and sliders! :sombrero:

All kidding aside, I wish I could help but I've been through a similar curse with a 2002 grand cherokee. After spending almost a grand and alignments and trips to different shops to fix things that didn't cure my "death wobble", I sold it.

You did right by posting your issues here before spending another dime. Hopefully we can get you straightened out.
Good Luck!

jiggler

seems like its the pump, i ws going to say possibly steering shaft or the U joint but since it goes away after you had it done then i doubt its that, ill talk to some of my mechanic friends

dport

Adventurer
Sounds to me like you need a lift kit, bumpers, winch and sliders! :sombrero:

All kidding aside, I wish I could help but I've been through a similar curse with a 2002 grand cherokee. After spending almost a grand and alignments and trips to different shops to fix things that didn't cure my "death wobble", I sold it.

You did right by posting your issues here before spending another dime. Hopefully we can get you straightened out.
Good Luck!

Hopefuly that all comes next year, once I pay off my new work car, and pick up the wife another ride. Then it's no holds barred on the runner....if I can get it to drive straight :smiley_drive:
I will post some underside pics, once it dries out a lil this morning.

MillerPKA

Observer
For the shops I've dealt with they won't authorize an alignment if the components that needed to be adjusted are too worn. In this case I'd blame them for falsely aligning your vehicle unless they told you and had you give them verbal consent prior. If you're returning to the same shop I'd push for a freebie.

The screeching sounds like alignment for sure, but if the problem persists enough the tires can begin wearing very inconsistently, and after enough miles on them can be irreversible. I would get under there and start yanking things to feel what, if anything, has play. It could be as simple as a nut that's not tightened that loosens after driving. Check steering rash bushings, sway bushings upper and lower bj's on both sides and tie rods. Best of luck.

dport

Adventurer
Here are a few pics I took. The sway bar links appear to be at funny angles, but hey, what do I know. There is some rust/signs of lateral movement on the swaybar it's self. I'm unsure if this is normal on a 4Runner. Also took a pic of the upper BJ's

Attachments

• 4runner steering 001 (Medium).jpg
    4runner steering 001 (Medium).jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 4runner steering 005 (Medium).jpg
    4runner steering 005 (Medium).jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 4runner steering 007 (Medium).jpg
    4runner steering 007 (Medium).jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 4runner steering 010 (Medium).jpg
    4runner steering 010 (Medium).jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 4runner steering 011 (Medium).jpg
    4runner steering 011 (Medium).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 44

Vermejo

Adventurer
I too know the frustration of dealing with these debilitating front-end issues.

The front sway bar end links are easily adjusted to the correct position; make sure the face of the end link is on equal plane to the LCA mount. This will help prevent binding and bending of the link. If everything is tight in the sway bar assembly, and it’s not broken or bent, problems are most likely originating from a different source. Of the six steering racks I’ve replaced in three years, two were defective and all required Energy Suspension polyurethane bushing kits to eliminate the slop associated with the supplied OEM rubber. Is the PS fluid level OK? Does the PS fluid look clean? How’s the power steering pump sounding on hard turns or when cranked to the extremes? Failing PS pumps will often sound like a squeegee across glass when making a hard turn. You may also try grabbing the steering shaft before it goes into the firewall while wiggling the wheel—play can exist at the steering ball joint and rag joint. Pull the parking brake and jack the front wheels off the ground. Shake the tires every conceivable direction to check for play. This may require you getting under the truck (vehicle safely chocked & supported) while someone else shakes the tires. Feel every steering/suspension component for play. Sensing play when shaking the tires with hands at the 3 and 9 o’clock positions can often represent steering rack & tie rod problems. Sensing play when shaking the tires with hands at the 12 and 6 o’clock positions can often represent problems with upper/lower control arms, ball joints, etc. With the vehicle back on the ground, have someone rock the vehicle and check the same steering/suspension components. Excellent you replaced the lower BJs—failure here could easily lead to a catastrophe.

Good Luck!

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Also forgot to add that there is a shimmy in the front when applying the brakes. Feels just like slightly warped rotors, but will disappear if there is steering wheel input, such as braking while exiting the interstate onto a curved offramp. If braking down a long straight grade it can become uncontrollable. It only does this when it feels like I guess, the shimmy is not always present.

This part I would attribute to the rotors.
I just replaced mine on my 01 and it solved a similar situation.

It sounds crazy, but is there anyway you could take video or audio of you driving with the sound in question? There are so many sounds a front end can make and it may help us all figure this out.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
This part I would attribute to the rotors.
I just replaced mine on my 01 and it solved a similar situation.

It sounds crazy, but is there anyway you could take video or audio of you driving with the sound in question? There are so many sounds a front end can make and it may help us all figure this out.

I'm stumped too!

You've got some gremlins for sure...

Bighead

Adventurer
Of the six steering racks I’ve replaced in three years, two were defective and all required Energy Suspension polyurethane bushing kits to eliminate the slop associated with the supplied OEM rubber.

You've gone through six racks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger