What other brands have a Surly Pugsly type bike

wesel123

Explorer
Hey guys what other big wheel expedition bikes like the Surly Pugsley are out there??? I'm jonesen for one but want to do a bit more research.

Thanks

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I don't know that I would call these bikes "expedition" bikes, but the Pugsly is the most common. Salsa just released the Mukluk this year. Salsa and Surly are in-house brands under Quality Bicycle Parts, the largest bike part distributer in North America. Just about any bike shop in the US has a QBP account. There are other smaller companies making these bikes. They're usually referred to as "Snow Bikes" in most regions. Greg Matyas in Alaska makes nice snow bikes, or did as recently as last fall. Moots builds a pretty impressive snow bike you will see under the king of big bike trips, Mike Curiak. Wildfire Cycles in Alaska makes snow bikes that I believe are actually made by DeSalvo. I know they use a DeSalvo fork. Viscious Cycles has a snow bike called the Thunder-something. Lastly, I think everyone is now aware of Jones titanium bikes. Pretty blingy.

Again, I don't know that anyone would consider these expedition bikes, but they sure have proven to be more than a passing fad. You'll usually find these bikes offered in bike frenzied places locked down in snow all winter.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I rode a Mukluk about a month ago and it was a ton of fun!! I have no idea what I'd use one for being in Phoenix with neither sand nor snow, but I had a smile on my face the entire time. I'd certainly consider picking one up used just to have around but I don't know about dropping the cash for a new one.

efuentes

Explorer
Just how good are those on beach sand?, I keep dreaming about the hundreds of miles of beach twenty minutes from my home.

They are kind of spendy.

bluedog

Adventurer
Just how good are those on beach sand?, I keep dreaming about the hundreds of miles of beach twenty minutes from my home.

They are kind of spendy.

When I build one I head right to the beach a few blocks from the shop as part of my test ride. They work great, low PSI in the fat tires float over the sand.

B.

wesel123

Explorer
I don't know that I would call these bikes "expedition" bikes, but the Pugsly is the most common. Salsa just released the Mukluk this year. Salsa and Surly are in-house brands under Quality Bicycle Parts, the largest bike part distributer in North America. Just about any bike shop in the US has a QBP account. There are other smaller companies making these bikes. They're usually referred to as "Snow Bikes" in most regions. Greg Matyas in Alaska makes nice snow bikes, or did as recently as last fall. Moots builds a pretty impressive snow bike you will see under the king of big bike trips, Mike Curiak. Wildfire Cycles in Alaska makes snow bikes that I believe are actually made by DeSalvo. I know they use a DeSalvo fork. Viscious Cycles has a snow bike called the Thunder-something. Lastly, I think everyone is now aware of Jones titanium bikes. Pretty blingy.

Again, I don't know that anyone would consider these expedition bikes, but they sure have proven to be more than a passing fad. You'll usually find these bikes offered in bike frenzied places locked down in snow all winter.

LOL....I say sir it IS and expedition bike....

http://www.bowcycle.com/bikes/blogs/viks-picks/2009/01/19/expedition-touring-with-a-pugsley/

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
My point being, they are far more popular as a platform for snow rides than they are for extended touring. If the extended touring involves sand, snow our goop, it makes sense, but fat tires for the sake of fat tires usually aren't necessary, or even desired, for many types of extended touring. People obviously tour on all sorts of things. Some dude rode across the US on a unicycle. Doesn't necessarily mean I'd call a unicycle an expedition bike. :)

wesel123

Explorer
My point being, they are far more popular as a platform for snow rides than they are for extended touring. If the extended touring involves sand, snow our goop, it makes sense, but fat tires for the sake of fat tires usually aren't necessary, or even desired, for many types of extended touring. People obviously tour on all sorts of things. Some dude rode across the US on a unicycle. Doesn't necessarily mean I'd call a unicycle an expedition bike. :)

I got what you were saying bud. I was laughing my butt off when I saw what that dude did.

What about running this as an expo bike....Love the old school look.
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/cross_country/sawyer/sawyer#

jrose609

Explorer
I've been out of the bike scene for about 20 years. I picked up running, but my knees have really been bothering me the last year or so. About 2 months ago I picked up a Pugsley.

Let me tell you, it has renewed my spirit. I really enjoy this bike. It has soul. I'm a Land Rover owner. I love Land Rover. I can't see myself driving anything else. My Rover has soul. It's different than what other people drive. I love it. My neighbor is a LC driver. Has an 85. Loves it. Feels the same way about it that I do my Rover.

The Pugsley has that should. Not everyone has a Pugsley. It is different.

I started out riding kind of slow. I actually commute on my Pugsley a couple days a week. I pump the tires to 25 psi, and it rolls no different over the pavement than my previous bikes. Yes, it is a little heavier, but I don't really notice the difference. Is it a 25 carbon fully suspended rocketship? No, but I'm not expecting it to be. When I lower the psi to about 12 or so, it goes tint over rough terrain and is as smooth as a fully suspended bike. My GT was a little older, but it didn't ride as smooth as the Pug.

Being the Pug is steel framed, it will handle some weight. I have a Surly Nice Rack for the rear. I can put quite a bit of stuff in my panniers if I need to, and the Pug rides fine. There are guys on the internet that do not have cars. They do have Pugsleys, though. The Pug is an everything bike. It won't be the best choice for everything, but it will do stuff reasonably well.

I have not taken it on an expedition. I did one over night trip with the Pug. It was about 50 miles each way. It wasn't the fastest trip, but it was fun. The Pug has renewed my love for biking, and I'm thankful I went ahead and spent the money to get one. I feel better, I have started losing a little midsection, and I'm having fun. Thats what its all about.

I'm not trying to "diss" Flounder or anyone else on the board for not embracing the Pug as an expedition bike. I mean no disrespect at all. I don't have the knowledge or experience to offer much advice. I've been out of the biking scene for about 20 years, and the technology has really progressed. Some of the bikes nowadays are amazing. The Pug will never compare to my LBS owner's 16 lb carbon Santa Cruz, and I will never be as good a rider as he is, but I'm getting a little older and a little more eccentric, and the Pug fits me perfect! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears