What regular tools are part of your camp gear?

M35A2

Tinkerer
Regular tools can be quite useful around the camp site.

For example, a wooden-handled putty knife is handy for frying and other cooking duties. The wooden handle insulates and the shape of the steel blade is great when cooking, serving or cleaning up afterward.

What tools do you repurpose for camping?

lugueto

Adventurer
Locking pliers, they always get you out of trouble no matter how small a task.

One of my stoves' gas knob is known to fail, and when it does, i leave a small locking plier attached to easily adjust its flame.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
In terms of regular tools, not including tools for the vehicle; very few, besides my pocket knife (Victornox tinker) maybe a hammer (for tent stakes) and good pair of pliers.

In terms of special purpose camping tools;
A water resistant toilet paper holder.
Cooking gear to match the type of cooking; stove/campfire/grill, frying, baking etc.
G.I. trifold e-tool.
G.I. matt-ax or mini pick mattock.
Large svensaw.
Fire poker made from a piece of rebar.
A chainsaw, sometimes electric, if we bring a generator.
A log chain.
A snatch strap, to help others (seems like people need a little tug even when we don't have the Jeep).
A collapsible broom.
a dustpan.
I'm going to try to include a collapsible rake this year, to prepare the ground for the tent (rake up pinecones, rocks, sticks etc.)
If I bring the solar to recharge the lighting battery; a digital voltmeter.
If we plan on four wheeling;
A complete vehicle toolkit (would make a long list unto itself).
Winching and extraction tools & accessories.
A welder (jumper cables, stinger, welding lens in a pair of goggles, welding rod).

Enjoy!

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I repurposed a plastic paint roller tray as a kitchen wash & dry tray.

A rubber mallet is handy for tent stakes or a sticky HiLift.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
I use an axe for a hammer (don't try this at home, professional on a professional course, etc), and I always bring a shovel and leaf rake. A broom with a sawed-down handle, rope, a zillion carabiners, a zillion clamps - you can never have enough of either. Ratchet straps, a full-on toolbox for repair stuff, a logging chain, Sven saw, machete, a plastic bucket, a metal bucket. In fact, I keep a toolbox for mechanical stuff, and another toolbox for rigging stuff. Several multi-tools. When all else fails, Duct Tape. I bring a few other things as well :)

RedF

Adventurer
Not really a tool, but I always bring a heavy set of insulated welding gauntlets. Great for tending to the camp fire and handling hot cookware.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I've grilled meat in a shovel on occasion. And used channel locks to grab open cans of stew out of firepit coals. And used large screwdrivers as hotdog skewers. If that's the sort of thing the OP is asking. Back in my misspent yout racing dirt bikes and ATCs in the high desert. That was when my camping gear was a sleeping bag and an ice chest and I slept in the bed of the pickup.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
My DeWalt sawzall, it will cut up firewood like no tomorrow and you don't smell like a chainsaw afterward, although we do take the chainsaw sometimes if we are expecting any winter deadfall on some trails.

As Scooter

Observer
I have a complete socket set, impacts, impact Wrench, screwdrivers, Channel locks, etc. I can probably rebuild a car with the tools I keep in my tool box. For cooking, I often do large events for Boy Scouts, etc, so I have a five foot griddle on top of a large barbecue grill like you find at Costco, or Sams Club. I use a large, razor floor scraper to clean the griddle when I am done. I also keep welding gloves to handle the griddle, and dutch ovens when they are hot. Besides taht, there is the usual assortment of tools that nearly everyone carries, besides the lock out kit that I have in all my vehicles.

M35A2

Tinkerer
I've grilled meat in a shovel on occasion. And used channel locks to grab open cans of stew out of firepit coals. And used large screwdrivers as hotdog skewers. If that's the sort of thing the OP is asking. Back in my misspent yout racing dirt bikes and ATCs in the high desert. That was when my camping gear was a sleeping bag and an ice chest and I slept in the bed of the pickup.

Yup, that's the spirit of what I was asking. Not as much 'what tools to you have with you' as 'what tools have you repurposed instead of using the common items'.

A shovel instead of a frying pan; that's a perfect example. I never thought of that one. :)

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
Similar to M35A2, I once brought steaks on a backcountry trip. Partner forgot he was supposed to bring the grill. solution - find a nice, big, sort of flatish/smooth granite stone, scrub the cooking surface as well as you can. Position in fire with the flat side up. Heat this stone until cooking temp is achieved, maybe an hour or so in a hot fire - gives you time to sip whiskey and self-congratulate on your ingenuity. When hot, toss your steaks on and watch them sizzle.

M35A2

Tinkerer
I'll throw out another one. Sharpen the end of an old heavy-duty screwdriver - makes a great ice pick, awl, stake a tarp to the ground, whatever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears