What shall I do? ( in a pondering inner voice...)

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Hello all,

I am most active on the various Mitsubishi boards but have a tertiary vehicle that I can't seem to make happen. My third vehicle is a 1988 Chevy K30 dually service truck with a 6.2L diesel conversion. I purchased this truck, we call her Sinamon, as a secondary work truck about 3 years ago. Just as I finalized the deal on the truck, the company I was with ceased working on the projects the truck was going to be for...this was a bad thing for me, supplying my own work truck.

Fast forward to present and I still have the truck, as good looking to me as a bikini girl, and I have yet to do anything with it. Now, I cannot get the engine to start and am considering swapping back to the 454 gasser, or going to a later 502. I can work on gas engines but have no experience with a diesel.

Opinions??

Thanks,
Russell

P4190068.jpg

Rot Box

Explorer
Cool truck! :elkgrin:

The 6.2 should start with a primed fuel system and working glowplugs. If the GP's aren't coming on or if there are a few burned out it usually takes a miracle or a shot of ether (not recommended) to start an IDI like the 6.2 lol. Don't run the batteries down (low voltage), and don't crank on the starter for long periods of time. Either will kill that starter quickly :Wow1:

The 6.2 won't take you long to understand they are quite simple really. They have power similar to what a 292 inline 6 has, and they can clear 20mpg if its a healthy runner. They are not unreliable either--well as long as you NEVER overheat them that is lol.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
The petrol/diesel is a constant debate, especially on this site. Regardless of your decision, she is a great old workhorse, and a near perfect Expo build platform. I would suggest making the decision based on your comfort level. If you enjoy learning, that is a great simple diesel and will be a good first. Conversely, if you want to stay in your present comfort zone, switch back to petrol for future piece of mind.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
First off Russell I would like to say, wow:Wow1:what a beautiful truck. She looks like a great workhorse, and in great shape. I would love to own that truck. I also have very little understanding about diesels, but it sounds like the advice that the other people have posted is good, and a logical way to proceed. If you cant get the diesel running with the tips the other posters have given you, then putting a 454 in the truck is pretty easy. I can see you making a great expo rig out of that truck. You will find many help full people here on the forum, so just fire away with any and all questions you might have. Cheers on having a great truck and please keep us posted with your progress.:)

bftank

Explorer
it is going to be easier to get the diesel running than it is to swap in a big block. start doing your research and you will get it eventually. check your wiring to, in case the mice tried to modify it.

wcdu

Observer
I have been thinking about a truck just like that. I can think of numerous reasons to stay with the diesel but they are probably not relevent for someone else; fuel srorage, lack of electronics, etc.

Keep us posted on you decisons and progress.

Steve

bfdiesel

Explorer
The 6.2 is simple. Glow plugs working, power to the run solenoid on the injection pump, fuel primed to it and she should fire right up.

DO NOT USE ETHER. An ether addicted engine is one that it has been used in and hard parts have distorted and caused compression to permanently go down making it hard to start.

What have you tried to get it started? If you don't mind.

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
Welcome! I too have spend many many hours on Mitsu boards building my (scca) solo car. What boards are you on? I made the transition to diesel and LOVE it, so much to learn and if you take good care of these things they will go forever.

my mitsu :victory:, td06 20g, fic 750's, 25lbs of boost. blablabla...
Picture052-1.jpg

Picture053.jpg

I say keep the diesel and do some reading on how they work,:coffee: you will laugh when you see how simple they are compared to their gas counter parts. You have an awesome platform; good luck!

ExpoMike

Yeah, having just getting rid of a rig that had a 6.2 diesel, they are basically simple once you can get your mindset removed from a gas engine mindset. You basically need air and fuel... it makes its own spark. :D (i.e. compression).

Glow plugs help when it cold but are not needed to start if the outside temp is really above 40*. If it cranks over and doesn't fire, it's likely not getting fuel. I can't recall when GM moved to the electronic system (which I think was later than '88). Find where your throttle cable goes and if it goes to the injector pump and that pump has a pink wire connected to it, you can check to see if this fuel shut off solenoid is working. With the key in the Run position, remove the pink wire and touch it to the terminal. You should hear a clunk of the solenoid clicking over. If you don't, you are not getting any fuel into the pump and it won't run. This is assuming your batteries are good and charged.

Start there. A lot of other things can be wrong but if this solenoid doesn't work, nothing else will matter.

85CUCV

Adventurer
IME if the 6.2 injector return lines are leaking/dry rotted at all it will not start worth a nickle after it sits very long. (rubber lines going between injectors). It does not have to be much of a leak. I had problems with my 6.2 a few years ago being a bear to start. It was the return lines. If you replace them do not get the set from LMC. They looked like washer fluid lines and lasted about 1 month. Get them from a reputable diesel shop. Don't get them from GM either. IIRC they wanted $16 per line!

Love my 6.2. Not alot of power, but it runs. I wouldn't ether it.
22:1 compression does not like it much.

ExpoMike

85CUCV - When I had my M1010 rig, I found a number of people talking about using fuel line from a R/C model airplane store. It held much better (didn't need the clamps), lasted longer than most everything else and was fairly cheap. Just throwing out an FYI for ya.

85CUCV

Adventurer
xj_mike
Thanks for the information. I'll keep that in mind. It might help in a pinch. When I bought the complete set from a local diesel shop the price was reasonable. I don't think they came with clamps and they fit tight enough I probably did not need them. I ended up clamping them all for my peace of mind.

I was pretty aggravated when the LMC hose failed in short order. When one fails and starts blowing fuel on a hot exhaust manifold I get nervous. I thought I was going to burn it to the ground when the white smoke start rolling without warning. The LMC product looked like windshield wiper hose. The only thing I use the LMC hose I have left is draining/replacing the fuel filter.

Dan

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
In response to the Mitsu boards I'm on: here, Pirate and daily on 4x4wire, also MaxD50scene, StarQuest, and 2.6L. I have a bevy of Monteros and a small parts business with them.

My newest ride and daily vehicle is a 2.6l turbo 88 Mighty Max, Pearl:
1070358.jpg

My love is my 87 Raider, Roxy:
raider218.jpg

Roxy had been my daily driver from Sept 2005 to Feb 2011 when the head gasket failed. I haven't kept up on other maintenance items and many things original need to be replaced after 183K miles. She has been the best vehicle! I will be replacing/repairing as money and time allow, but had to have something else to drive in the mean time.

Parts that I have gathered for the Chevy include a Suburban fuel tank (40-gal) with FI pump, an Iron Mule rear bumper with a fold-up crane and 1,500 pound electric winch, 8KW gas generator, and various interior bits with the intent of building a shop truck with air and electric juice. Our last residence had frequent power failures due to snow and this truck was going to save us in one respect, or another.

Current efforts at starting have been to replace the engine driven fuel pump, but not GPs or fuel hoses. After the past three years, I'll likely have to flush the fuel system. I bought a running conversion project that still had loose ends; that may have been unwise, but she matched my Raider so well!!

R-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78