What spares/replacements should I stock for my Defender before hitting the road?

ajctraveler

Observer
So as I wait for my Defender 110 to arrive, I'm starting to think about preparations and I'm curious what parts I should keep stock of in the car that will be good to have on hand, seeing as I'll likely be away from any dealerships for a while (Asia/Africa)?

So, before embarking on a generic, overland, long term trip, what extras/replacements/spares would you all recommend..

Fuel filters, oil filters, gear oil? (A list stolen from another thread)

It's still going to be 8 weeks before my car gets in, but I figure it's best to order things as early as possible so that i'm not stuck waiting in the end.

Many thanks,

Tony

Gren_T

Adventurer
Hi Tony, from experience:
2 off full wheel bearing kits including seals, lock washer, nuts and grease - i now make my own kits in a small plastic box.
2 off UJ's with spare prop bolts & nuts.
a full set of greaseable track rod ends
A drop arm joint.
check condition of the suspension bushes, genuine rubber are best however I prefer polybushes as they can be easily replaced in the field, keep a spare set of bushes.
a roll of self amalgamating tape..
a full set of bulbs- i changed to leds to protect against vibration.
at least one set of belts, i fit new before a trip and keep the old ones as spares.

do a full service yourself, check and grease the wheel bearings - change the oils and make sure the fillers in the axle are not rusted closed.
try and do it all with the tools you will be carrying.

thats a start

regards

Gren

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
There's a "D1 Spares" thread here someplace. Many of the points in that thread would apply to a Defender also.

Not a spare really, but you might want to consider an air shutoff butterfly valve for the intake. It was suck to have your diesel self destruct during your trip because the turbo started leaking oil internally.

ajctraveler

Observer
Thank you for the list. I will certainly try to familiarize myself with the car before heading out, but as far as things being rusted closed... I really hope that it won't be the case, especially considering that the truck is coming straight to me from the factory. haha

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Thank you for the list. I will certainly try to familiarize myself with the car before heading out, but as far as things being rusted closed... I really hope that it won't be the case, especially considering that the truck is coming straight to me from the factory. haha

I believe rust is factory standard equipment on Land Rovers!

Congrats on your purchase!

David

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I would probably just take a U-joint, a wheel-bearing, a serpentine belt, some bits of low and high-pressure hoses (and some tape and bailing wire to make a hose patch if needed), a set of filters, and a code-reader that connects to your iphone.

Spares for the Puma engine and all the drive-train bits are not that hard to find in most of Asia or Africa. You might need to wait a week or two for something really exotic.

Realistically, it's a new 110. Unless you are driving it like you stole it, not much will go wrong with it that will actually stop you as long as it's properly serviced and inspected by a competent mechanic before you go. If you really flog it hard on the trail you might break a half shaft or something, but you can usually bush-fix it so you can limp out to a workshop on 2WD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears