What the local Jeep dealer told me about diesels JKs

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
My 2010 JKUR with a 6-speed and stock 4.10 gears and 35" mud-terrains gets a true 17-18mpg cruising on flat highway at 65mph with no breeze or drafting. This is true mileage with a dialed-in ScanGauge and tire size corrected to within 1/4" diameter. A 2012 Pentastar with 6-speed might get 1mpg better, but there's no way they'll get over 20mpg in identical circumstances.

Towing my Lifetime Tent Trailer with a weekend's worth of camping gear at a legal 55mph gets me 16-17mpg.

djbrown01

By 2015 this company should be out of business again, and this time our hard earned tax money won't be going to bail out the worst American auto manufacturer of the last 60 years. They build a second rate product, enough said. How do I know you may ask? I worked for them, my father worked for them, my whole family worked for them, I saw first hand at how a major component was built, one all you four wheel guys use everyday that all the power goes through, don't throw good money at these vehicles or you'll be doing it week after week on repairs

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
By 2015 this company should be out of business again, and this time our hard earned tax money won't be going to bail out the worst American auto manufacturer of the last 60 years. They build a second rate product, enough said. How do I know you may ask? I worked for them, my father worked for them, my whole family worked for them, I saw first hand at how a major component was built, one all you four wheel guys use everyday that all the power goes through, don't throw good money at these vehicles or you'll be doing it week after week on repairs

Wow... Guess you only drive the car you hand built from scratch? lol

The Swiss

Expedition Leader

Wow, really? Impressive post for 2nd time posting ;) If it is that bad of a company, good thing that you say you worked for them, I assume you no longer do.

Working for an OEM supplier, I am dealing with all car manufacturers in the US. Chrysler - especially since Marchionne - is definitely both on the technical and the ethical side one of the better ones.

But, let's get back on topic regarding diesel engines in Jeeps, will we?

Septu

Explorer
My 2010 JKUR with a 6-speed and stock 4.10 gears and 35" mud-terrains gets a true 17-18mpg cruising on flat highway at 65mph with no breeze or drafting. This is true mileage with a dialed-in ScanGauge and tire size corrected to within 1/4" diameter. A 2012 Pentastar with 6-speed might get 1mpg better, but there's no way they'll get over 20mpg in identical circumstances.

Towing my Lifetime Tent Trailer with a weekend's worth of camping gear at a legal 55mph gets me 16-17mpg.

I always laugh at these statements. Under ideal circumstances my 07 could get 24 MPG. Didn't happen often (had to be flat, no wind, etc), but it happened multiple times. The best I've had on my 12 is 19 (always windy and hilly up here). I figure I could probably do a tad better with a 6spd vs my auto, but don't doubt those who say they get over 20.

D

Deleted member 48574

The gig is up, friends! Shall we draw straws for who gets to post their rig first in the classifieds or can the servers handle a free for all? ;)

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Under ideal circumstances my 07 could get 24 MPG. Didn't happen often (had to be flat, no wind, etc), but it happened multiple times. The best I've had on my 12 is 19 (always windy and hilly up here). I figure I could probably do a tad better with a 6spd vs my auto, but don't doubt those who say they get over 20.
:Wow1: Never had my '08 at 24 mpg, not even under the best of circumstances :elkgrin: But I do average 18 - 19 with my '12. Best tank I had so far was 21.1 mpg, worst 15.8 mpg.

Septu

Explorer
:Wow1: Never had my '08 at 24 mpg, not even under the best of circumstances :elkgrin: But I do average 18 - 19 with my '12. Best tank I had so far was 21.1 mpg, worst 15.8 mpg.

About the only good thing my 07 did well (on road) was flat, no wind highway driving. 3.21s, 6spd and 33s and armor made it a beast in the hills or with a wind. But it did pretty well on the flat stuff if there was no wind.

My 12 is a different story. Lots of tanks at 13-15. A couple at 17/18+. But then my city driving has almost the worse conditions possible for gas mileage. Doubt a diesel would make a massive difference. Would likely still get one... but it wouldn't be for the city mileage.

djbrown01

Yes worked is the operative word, since Chrysler being the great company they are would rather make everything in Mexico and you people still buy and support them, you couldn't give me a Chrysler product, but if you guys like buying third world junk be my guest

The only thing trail rated is good for is if you have a gravel driveway

paulnb57

Observer
We've only got diesel JK's this side of the pond, Euro 5 emissions compliant, quoted 34mpg combined, 39 Extra urban and 29 Urban, (UK Gallon) these are lab figures and don't ever work out the same in real time driving - however all vehicles go through the same test, so a comparison can be made. Dunno how Euro 5 emissions match up to Emissions testing over there, but my point is, there is already a Diesel JK................

http://www.jeep.co.uk/wrangler

Paul

djbrown01

Toledo Ohio may be where it was assembled but where were the parts sourced from? Check your sticker for the percentage and let me know

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179