What to definitely look for?

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
gooseboy said:
...The 5k budget is just for the actual vehicle itself, i plan to spend more money ...
well, then if that's the case, I hate to say it, but Get a Toyota...

If you're dead set on a Jeep, then I definately suggest the YJ. Frame, Leaf springs, alot easier to find one with a 5spd etc... If you don't need 4 doors, a YJ with a hard top makes a killer daily driver. Get the 4cyl/5spd, Throw on an OME lift and some good 33's/gears and then marvel at all the places you can go in a fairly stock rig. Pus, if you need to park quick to get to class or something, they fit damn near anywhere ;)

cheers

Dave

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
What I know about mods and lockers you could write on the back of my ear. But I do know this, or at least think this...

One. If you haven't been driving for long one of the things you're going to do is accidentally drive into something you shouldn't. If you haven't already done that in your parents car - at least twice - you should wait until you have before you bend your own.

Two. $5K can buy you a lot of car. Probably too much. Buy something you can afford to lose and don't spend any money whatsoever improving its capabilities until you actually reach its limit. Which in itself will be a good learning experience. Besides with Jeeps, as they say, the more you do the more you need to do so you can avoid most of that by not doing anything!

Three. Get a manual transmission. That might narrow the choice of vehicles but it forces you to think a lot more about how you approach driving both on and off road. Plus if you can't drive stick you can't drive most vehicles anywhere else on the planet and it would be a shame to find that out when you get there.

Four. Don't drink and drive and don't let anybody who's been drinking drive you! I know its the American national sport but its really not worth it.

As far as "what vehicle?" I'm with the YJ crowd. They're small, fun to drive, easy and cheap to fix and will go most places as is. Stock gearing will drive 31 inch tires but I think you would need to find a small amount of lift to fit them on a YJ. Get one with full doors for convenience and whatever top appeals most to you.

Good luck and, most of all, have fun. :)

Cheers,
Graham

DarinM

Explorer
Another YJ vote

I'll throw another vote in favor of the YJ - except I'll argue in favor of the 6 cyl/5sp combination. The AX15 that came with the 6 is supposed to be a much better tranny than the AX5 that came with the 4's. I had a '94 YJ that I had a ton of fun with. And like the other guys said - I spent alot of money because I bought stuff without really knowing what I was doing. I put a ProComp 4" lift kit on it and 33's without regearing. This was a relatively easy install - so that is something in its favor. I also ended up with some pretty severe driveline vibration and before too long ended up with a blown engine (trying to achieve highway speeds driving into a stiff wind uphill, blah, blah, blah). I believe the increased stress on the transmission led to premature failure of the synchronizers, which in turn lead to major gear failure and broken shafts. All these were expensive repairs to a Jeep that looked freaking awesome as it sat in my driveway while I tried to save money to get it fixed. Overall it was a good learning experience, and I really did enjoy owning that Jeep. I guess that's about all I have to say for now.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
DarinM said:
I'll throw another vote in favor of the YJ - except I'll argue in favor of the 6 cyl/5sp combination. The AX15 that came with the 6 is supposed to be a much better tranny than the AX5 that came with the 4's. .
Yeah that's a good point eh, forgot about the tranny's. I love the 4.0L but it can be a real gas hog if you don't keep your foot out of it.

And I can't stressit enough... get an OME lift.

Cheers

Dave

gooseboy

Observer
Damnit.. Dads not down for the whole jeep offroading thing.. Wants to get me something more gas efficient.. Blah blah. How am i supposed to hunt out of a small car?

I guess im saving up for a rig and the budget is like 3000 dollars now :oops: :(

Probably buy a cheap jeep and only use it specificaly to offroading with a daily driver the parents will hopefully buy..

WJinTRSC

Adventurer
I was in the exact same position you currently are about 5 yrs. ago. My first was a 1996 underpowered 4-bangin' 2wd Ford Ranger that I think was a drug-truck in a previous life. I drove it thru most of HS til Mom got tired of me having her work truck all the time. I got lucky and my 5'1" Mom bought herself a 1998 4x4 Ranger w/ a 3.0 V6 that was sittin on 265/75/16's and stock susp. After a little while, she realized that truck was just too tall for her to get in/out of and load/unload. Like I said, lucky for me; we traded.

For your first, (I know it sucks to hear this!!) getta nice beater; a vehicle that if it's rolled, it's ok, but YOU'LL BE OK TOO. Get something safe, something relatively efficient, depndable, and practical. You'll learn how to work on it and keep money aside, cuz things WILL break. I PROMISE, REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU BUY. If you buy a truck, get an extended cab. Even if it doesn't have seats back there, you'll find ways to fill it up. An XJ's a great platform. Maybe you can get one and slowly move toward building it and Mom/Dad will warm up to the idea.

No matter what you get, smell it, touch it, drive it, test it, crawl under it/over it/inside/outside, all over and get a mechanic to chk it out. Carfax is good too.

Also, FWIW, I got my Jeep cuz I rolled the 1998 Ranger, Ruby as we all knew her,:(. Luckily State Farm was really good to me and I was able to get a WJ at the time that I was already halfway in the market for an XJ. I wasn't driving too fast, didn't do anything terribly wrong, just an accident that happened out of nowhere. The cop didn't even write me a ticket. This can happen to anyone and I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. Mom still has the '96 as the work-truck. There is absolutely no logical reason why it still runs to this day considering all I put it through. You'll probly be the same way. Trust me I know how you feel. I never got my "ideal" vehicle in HS either. Good luck though, and please be careful and WEAR YOUR SEAT-BELT. It saved me and several buddies before.

gooseboy

Observer
WJinTRSC said:
I was in the exact same position you currently are about 5 yrs. ago. My first was a 1996 underpowered 4-bangin' 2wd Ford Ranger that I think was a drug-truck in a previous life. I drove it thru most of HS til Mom got tired of me having her work truck all the time. I got lucky and my 5'1" Mom bought herself a 1998 4x4 Ranger w/ a 3.0 V6 that was sittin on 265/75/16's and stock susp. After a little while, she realized that truck was just too tall for her to get in/out of and load/unload. Like I said, lucky for me; we traded.

For your first, (I know it sucks to hear this!!) getta nice beater; a vehicle that if it's rolled, it's ok, but YOU'LL BE OK TOO. Get something safe, something relatively efficient, depndable, and practical. You'll learn how to work on it and keep money aside, cuz things WILL break. I PROMISE, REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU BUY. If you buy a truck, get an extended cab. Even if it doesn't have seats back there, you'll find ways to fill it up. An XJ's a great platform. Maybe you can get one and slowly move toward building it and Mom/Dad will warm up to the idea.

No matter what you get, smell it, touch it, drive it, test it, crawl under it/over it/inside/outside, all over and get a mechanic to chk it out. Carfax is good too.

Also, FWIW, I got my Jeep cuz I rolled the 1998 Ranger, Ruby as we all knew her,:(. Luckily State Farm was really good to me and I was able to get a WJ at the time that I was already halfway in the market for an XJ. I wasn't driving too fast, didn't do anything terribly wrong, just an accident that happened out of nowhere. The cop didn't even write me a ticket. This can happen to anyone and I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. Mom still has the '96 as the work-truck. There is absolutely no logical reason why it still runs to this day considering all I put it through. You'll probly be the same way. Trust me I know how you feel. I never got my "ideal" vehicle in HS either. Good luck though, and please be careful and WEAR YOUR SEAT-BELT. It saved me and several buddies before.

Dad just wants me to drive something gas efficient.. But if im paying for gas whats the big deal?? Its kind of about the image thing to.. I hunt atleast 2-5 times a week, fish all summer long, and wear camo hats.. How the heck am i supposed to hunt, fish, tow a boat, or offroad with like a honda civic or something?

Like i said if the parents buy me something like that great.. Ill drive it.. But im buying a 2000 dollar junker and learning to offroad.. Ive done quite a bit on ATVs but damnit i want a Jeep or somethin!:REAdvRockClimber:

IronSmiles

Observer
This probably won't help you much but if worse comes to worse learn all you can now and you know what? When you turn 18 and move out you can do what you want and buy what you want. Long story short that's what I had to do and how I had to learn. If it comes down to it, trust me, you will eventually get what you want, just remember that hard work and determination will pay off more than almost anything else in life. :victory:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Bummer mate, but seriously, when you get older and you have kids, you'll probably understand why your dad is thinking the way he is. I don't know you and I'm not trying insult you, but seriously, a 4x4 and a teenager can lead to some stupid things... ask me how I know ;) Even the most straight-laced boring person in the world would probably admit to carrying on like a real hoon as a teenager. Add in a lifted 4x4 and the temptation is too much for anyone and accidents can happen. I work in EMS and an Emergency Roomand it's scares the crap out of me seeing the horrible things people who either don't know yet or never learned how to really drive and appreciate how dangerous a motor vehicle is. Driving is a privlage not a right.

Sorry mate, dad rant over.

So IMO again as the budget goes down the YJ starts to shine alot more. Plus, in general they will last longer than XJ's(the body's, not the drivetrain) because of the frame on body build, and they're cheaper to work on/modify. Plus they're smaller and will most likely be easier on gas. Although the tranny is better, you should ask yourself if you would need the 6cyl cause I'd imagine the 2.5 would get better milage than the 4.0L(I can't remember what my buddy gets in his 4cyl YJ). My XJ's never got 20mpg (averaged about 17on the hwy!!), but could tow things. Now I have a 2.4L 4cyl and while I can't tow too much, I get around 18mpg city/23hwy (and I'm over geared to boot) and the motor isn't even to 5k yet. I'm not missing the towing ability that much...

Cheers

Dave

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
gooseboy said:
Dad just wants me to drive something gas efficient.. But if im paying for gas whats the big deal?? Its kind of about the image thing to.. I hunt atleast 2-5 times a week, fish all summer long, and wear camo hats.. How the heck am i supposed to hunt, fish, tow a boat, or offroad with like a honda civic or something?

Like i said if the parents buy me something like that great.. Ill drive it.. But im buying a 2000 dollar junker and learning to offroad.. Ive done quite a bit on ATVs but damnit i want a Jeep or somethin!:REAdvRockClimber:

There are a bunch of assumptions here so please accept my apologies if I'm wrong and feel free to ignore everything I say.

I can also relate to your dad and everything he's going through. My oldest is driving a 1997 Mazda Protege that I bought him for $1500 because of exactly your dad's kind of thinking! He likes the Mazda though because he commutes 60 miles a day to college and the Mazda does 35 MPG.

I think its great that your dad is willing to spend hard cash on some wheels for you, even though his idea of the right vehicle is not the same as yours. One thing that's hard for a teenager to grasp is parents have been around since the stone age and we have a lot more experience about most things and most of it is relevant. Not all of it but enough that we can usually do the right thing. But since we don't see the world through your eyes we don't always get the whole picture and that can be frustrating for everybody.

Given you've been asking questions and talking enthusiastically about getting a 4wd, lifting it, adding lockers, going off road, etc, I would bet that your dad doesn't really know what you're talking about and the picture he's formed in his mind is this: A tricked out monster truck with a fiery paint job, massive tires, chrome exhausts and you'll be playing whack-a-mole with everything and everyone you come across.

If I'm wrong and your dad knows everything about 4wds, understands what you're really trying to achieve and knows you and your real needs well then he's probably right. Ask him to explain everything and let it sink in and wait for your time to come. In the mean time you'll still have wheels and that by itself means your folks think you're trustworthy and responsible which is a good thing. You're in the minority so well done! :)

But if I'm right and if you don't drive far enough to make a car hands down the right vehicle you might still be able to plead your case and agree on a vehicle that is acceptable to everybody. Be appreciative of everything your folks are offering you already. Gather enough evidence that will help your folks see that you're not crazy. Present it in a calm and diplomatic way. You need to come as close to their idea of the right vehicle as you can. And humbly admit defeat if that's what happens!

Since your folks are looking for fuel efficiency you're probably best off with something that gets 20 MPG or close to it. A 4 banger YJ would do that, as would several other small trucks out there.

Do the math and work out how much fuel is going to cost for the distances you're realistically going to drive at 20 MPG and 30 MPG and see what the difference is. Ask your parents how much they think you'll be driving too - they might come up with something you've not considered which you'll need to account for.

Almost everything you add to a vehicle will reduce the gas mileage because of increased weight or drag so you might consider promising to keep your vehicle as stock as possible and not change anything until you can demonstrate you really need to.

If I was your dad I'd be worried about you getting stuck or having an accident alone so think about where you'd go, who you'd go with, what you'd do if something happened, etc. What can you do to make them feel better about a teenage boy driving off into the savage wilderness by himself. Is it as simple as being able to keep in touch by cellphone or CB?

Hunting is obviously a big thing to you and if you can come up with some realistic scenarios for where you can safely go in a truck where you can't go in a car then that can only help.

Finally, if you're getting really desperate, you can cite one more advantage of a Wrangler over almost all other cars out there: You can hose down the interior which will be a lot more pleasant for your mom when you drive her to the grocery store.

Don't worry - everything will work out - even if a 4wd isn't in your immediate future!

Cheers,
Graham :)

Last edited:

gooseboy

Observer
Dont get me wrong im definatly grateful for what my parents have given me.. If i came across like a spoiled snot brat well i aint. I dont even know if my parents are getting me a car.. My situation is wierd.. I think they will in like 6 months to a year but im not sure?? If that makes sense.. I dont think they are really sure what they are going to do either.

I dont think my dad understands what i mean.. He thinks im going to go out by myself on some trail where i dont know what im doing.. I want to join a local offroading club to learn how to drive offroad..

Finally my dad just got mad at me today and pretty much told me to shut my pie hole cus i kept talkin about it. :(

But im gonna keep trying to convince them.. I bet ill only drive about 50 miles a week when its not hunting season which in a jeep or something similar i think will come out to like 12 bucks a week. I got a job and im gonna start making about 180 bucks a week now.. I just dont see what the big deal is.. My dad did a little offroading in sand dunes and on the beach and stuff with a stock CJ when he was younger (he aint no expert though). So i brought that up and he said he was already in the Navy by then and had the money to. He also said his friend took it muddin one time and he came back and the whole engine had pretty much gone to crap because of all the mud that got in it.. How do i prevent that?

gooseboy said:
He also said his friend took it muddin one time and he came back and the whole engine had pretty much gone to crap because of all the mud that got in it.. How do i prevent that?

Avoid mud. Mud=Bad. For so many reasons.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Purple People Eater said:
Avoid mud. Mud=Bad. For so many reasons.
Good luck with that in OK... If I speak correctly, isn't ALOT of the wheeling out there just that: Mud?

HAHAHAHA this story is great though, it really takes me back. Espescialy the bit where you nag the old man so much he snaps... Classic. Many years ago when I was doing this, although over a particularly nasty MKII Golf, I got the exact same reaction. Things will work out, just be extra good around the house and work hard and they'll probably come around. Show your folks you're responsible and it'll go a long way.

Cheers

Dave

gooseboy

Observer
4Rescue said:
Good luck with that in OK... If I speak correctly, isn't ALOT of the wheeling out there just that: Mud?

HAHAHAHA this story is great though, it really takes me back. Espescialy the bit where you nag the old man so much he snaps... Classic. Many years ago when I was doing this, although over a particularly nasty MKII Golf, I got the exact same reaction. Things will work out, just be extra good around the house and work hard and they'll probably come around. Show your folks you're responsible and it'll go a long way.

Cheers

Dave

Ha ya we like to go muddin'.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman