What to get for $5k or under?

MalnarUSA

Just paid for another semester of college so I am on a budget, but needless to say I am looking to get a 4x4 to build into my first expedition vehicle. I have done a little research but cant really settle on anything. Im not really biased towards any specific make. My only real criteria is it be a truck preferably not an SUV, ex.cab or regular doesn't necessarily matter since it will just be the fiance' and myself, long bed since I am 6'5", reliable obviously, and get decent mpg since it will be my DD. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and all input/advice is truly appreciated!

MalnarUSA

Thanks for the link! Unfortunately it seems as if everyone is suggesting an SUV. Ive owned a jeep xj before and honestly I wasnt all that impressed, Maybe a bad experience? Just not one for them.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
My only real criteria is it be a truck not an SUV!

Sorry G-fresh, but I think this voids your link:)

Malnar, maybe look at Dodge or Ford diesel regular cabs. 89-98 Dodges get great mileage with a 5 speed, same goes for 94-97 Ford diesels. You should be able to find a decent reg cab for $5000 if you are patient. Good luck!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
There's a 93 Dodge diesel in Santa Rosa on Craigslist (sfbay) for $3500. It looks like you could have a nice truck if you throw the other $1500 at it... Or, there is a 94 F250 ext cab with 7.3 and 5 speed in Ukiah for $5000 obo. The Ford is in nicer shape buy looks of the pics.

Last edited:

MalnarUSA

Red- Thanks for all the info! Yea I just emailed the seller about that one,Though I am a little leery of 300k+ on an original auto trans. There is also a '94 4x4 F350 7.3TD 5 speed long bed single cab with a gem top camper and a warn winch and bumper with 292K for $2500 OBO.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The 94 F350 would be a GREAT truck. Mine has 272,000 on it and it runs awesome. Wish it had a 5 speed! Got a link or pics of the 350?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
That is a pretty great deal. If the engine noise is bad, don't worry too much. You can find good running idi 7.3 engines for $500 on any day of the week it seems. The parts value of that truck is more than $2500! And the bonus, it is already ExPo white:sombrero:
Let me know how it goes...

I got a 2000 dodge 4x4 diesel with a lance camper for that price. Truck needs tlc and has 412k miles(408 when I got it). Starts right up every time. Had it a year and a half now and still ticking

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior