What truck/camper combo won't shake apart off road, i.e. Dalton Hwy?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Trucks especially heavy payload trucks need to be heavy or they just beat the living heck out everything in them and on them including themselves. The minivan comment is rock solid given they are over built but run compliant suspension. So definitely something to that observation.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
FYI:

Authorization to carry
In general, the only firearms allowed for wilderness protection are non-restricted rifles and shotguns.

However, Canadian residents may be authorized to carry a handgun or restricted long gun for wilderness protection or for lawful occupational purposes if they:

• are licensed to possess restricted firearms
  • are a licensed professional trapper
  • need protection from wild animals in their job
Transporting safety – ATT
Non-restricted firearms must be unloaded during transportation.

For restricted and prohibited firearms:

• unload them
  • attach secure locks
  • lock them in a strong, non-transparent container
  • obtain an Authorization to Transport
If you must leave any class of firearm in an unattended vehicle:

• lock them in the trunk or in a similar lockable compartment
  • put secured firearms and firearm containers out of sight and lock the vehicle

You can bring a valid firearm across the border as well:

84FLH

Hi simple.

Spray has its limitations but has a proven track record.
To my knowledge there is no cab-over type camper that will stand up to hundreds of miles of washboardy roads. The constant vibration will crack plastic drain lines and tanks and shake all the cabinets apart. I live in the middle of Nevada, been there, done that. Very few paved road around here. I still use my cabover but stay off the severe washboards; when I get to rough roads I park and use the Jeep. You talk about off-camber...I used to have my campers on SRW (single rear wheel) trucks...a cab-over camper is very tall. Off-camber roads with a tall cab-over is a dicey situation. After scaring myself a few times that way I went to dual rear wheel (much wider stance). Much more stable. Another thing many new cab-over camper owners forget is that many forested back roads have tree limbs that will not clear a camper that is 12-13 feet high, and the skin on that camper is not very stout.....
View attachment 761177

I also vote for the early Cummins engine versus the old 7.3. Rock solid dependable and easy to work on/service.
Well, bear spray didn't work that well on people a couple years ago, just say'n. I don't think I'd rely on it to defend my life. I think the best solution is not to get in a situation where you need it, but then that may take the fun out of things. Leave bears alone they leave you alone.
When it comes to bears, guns, and the military you don't know what you're talking about.

In fact, the more you talk about bears, guns, and serving, the more you prove just how ignorant you really are.

montypower

Adventure Time!
@deserteagle56 those pictures would be a 4WD Low drive (with any vehicle). But I'd definitely take our camper on it. No problem. We have videos showing similar and it would handle it just fine.

simple

Adventurer
From my experience internet discussions are not worth getting heated over. Communicating via forum is cumbersome and it is too easy for things to get taken out of context and escalated without purpose. I look at threads as a collection of opinions that are there for picking through. Collect the bits that you like and let the others go.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
OK, That just proved my point. He may have thought he was on a different site.

Don't know much about bears, but enough to stay clear of them.

I never manufactured a gun.

I was never a member of SEAL Team 6, or any other SEAL Team, I was Army served with Mike Durant, flew with him many times and proud to say so. I got out in '91.

This is a family oriented site, so I'll just say I stayed at a Holiday Inn! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

84FLH

You must have an amazing camper setup if you can drive 60 mph on the roughest roads around! I might pay to watch you do that on some of my roads.....
View attachment 761388

View attachment 761389
Hey Desert Eagle;

Those are exactly the kind of roads I'd like to drive, 4wd, low and slow. But even going slow, I know some commercial campers just aren't made for the internal stresses/torque induced by lean angles and suspension articulation.

The collective information on this site is amazing. Still reading the informative comments. Thanks for yours!

84FLH

FYI:

Authorization to carry
In general, the only firearms allowed for wilderness protection are non-restricted rifles and shotguns.

However, Canadian residents may be authorized to carry a handgun or restricted long gun for wilderness protection or for lawful occupational purposes if they:

• are licensed to possess restricted firearms
  • are a licensed professional trapper
  • need protection from wild animals in their job
Transporting safety – ATT
Non-restricted firearms must be unloaded during transportation.

For restricted and prohibited firearms:

• unload them
  • attach secure locks
  • lock them in a strong, non-transparent container
  • obtain an Authorization to Transport
If you must leave any class of firearm in an unattended vehicle:

• lock them in the trunk or in a similar lockable compartment
  • put secured firearms and firearm containers out of sight and lock the vehicle

You can bring a valid firearm across the border as well:

Thanks Todd &Natalie. Only Canadian citizens may carry a firearm for wilderness protection.

Typically, the firearms program only allows firearms allowed for wilderness protection are non-restricted rifles and shotguns. The following individuals, provided they are Canadian residents and have a license that allows them to possess restricted firearms ( RPAL ), may be authorized to carry a handgun or restricted long gun for wilderness protection:

licensed professional trappers, and individuals who need protection from wild animals while working at their lawful occupation, most often in a remote wilderness location.

There's an obstacle course of requirements for Americans to bring firearms into Canada. This article lists just some of them. From what I glean, "self defense" is not an approved purpose to bring a firearm into Canada. One must know if the firearm(s) they wish to bring into Canada are "restricted", "non-restricted", or "prohibited"

Type of firearmForm RCMP 5589 + CAN$25.00Authorization to transport
non-restrictedrequirednot required
restrictedrequiredrequired
prohibitedimportation prohibitedimportation prohibited

I have a sneaking suspicion that a 6'6", 275 lb guy entering Canada in a truck camper with a heavy caliber magnum rifle when it's not hunting season and who has no vacation or other residence in Canada, will either be turned away or held for questioning and background checks in the U.S.

84FLH

Trucks especially heavy payload trucks need to be heavy or they just beat the living heck out everything in them and on them including themselves. The minivan comment is rock solid given they are over built but run compliant suspension. So definitely something to that observation.

Hey calicamper;

Are you saying heavier truck is better than lighter...because the heavier truck can take more pounding from the rougher trails/roads?

So an F250 is better than a Tacoma? Would that be a simplified way of saying what you're saying?

84FLH

" The constant vibration will crack plastic drain lines and tanks and shake all the cabinets apart."
--------------------------

Exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. Thank you.

84FLH

Forget the "pass through" , total waste of money and unnecessary.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking when I typed "pass through". Never saw a slide in that had a pass through to the truck cab.

The 7.3 IDI is slower than a volkswagen van. I owned one. The 5.9 Cummins is far superior to that motor in every way.

Okay. Fair enough. 7.3 IDI is slow. But is it reliable, and how much? More than the 5.9 Cummins?

I'll do the research into the Cummins. What tranny should it have, and gear ratio?

Thank you.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Hey calicamper;

Are you saying heavier truck is better than lighter...because the heavier truck can take more pounding from the rougher trails/roads?

So an F250 is better than a Tacoma? Would that be a simplified way of saying what you're saying?

A F250 need’s weight in it or you’ll beat everything up. A Tacoma can be empty and be fine given it has city slicker soft suspension for 400Lbs of stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998