What vehicle for a family of 6? Small kids

hero97

I would love to have a six seat belt 4x4 truck. It seems from what I have read, they all have their pros and cons. What models and years do you recommend for a budget of 15 to 20K? I have a lifted 98 jeep cherokee that has been great, but we have outgrown it in seat belts and gear. I want a decent vehicle for snow if possible.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
You realize this will always be a subjective question?

Family of 5 here with rotating additional family members that stay with us, small kids are now getting to be quite medium-sized, but I have struggled with the question of a Suburban, Sequoia, Excursion, full-sized trucks, &c.

• Can't give up the 3rd-row seats, too often we use them and they would be mandatory for you.
  • Wanted something with ubiquitous aftermarket support
  • We do significant off-highway trails and needed something with a good turning radius that is über-reliable,

We settled (yes settled) for the LandCruiser (LC80 & LC100). Met everyone of our needs except:
  • Space. They are mid-sized, and we have a lot of stowage issues we deal with on every trip.
  • Fuel efficiency. They are obnoxiously fuel thirsty. In many cases in engineering though efficiency and reliability are inversely proportional.

The only other vehicle I'd look at today is the 7.3 Excursions.

hero97

I love the reliability of the LandCruisers. I need room for backpacks and bikes without having to add a rack if possible. I also take a troop of Boy Scouts camping once a month, so the gear space is a big issue. I am leaning toward a F150, nisssan titan, or tundra all with bench front seats. All of them are seen getting stuck in small amounts of snow and ice. I may need to get a locker installed in the rear to get them around in the snow.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
That's why they make roof racks and trailers I guess. Just a personal thing, and safety aside, but I don't think I'd be able to make it the hours that we drive with a child up front...

Last edited:

hero97

You have a point. Last winter I had to shuttle my family across town in two trips Christmas day to get through 6 inches of snow in my jeep. My wife has a minivan for long road trips, but for camping or expedition trips, that will not work.

hoaxci5

Observer
Plug for the Jeep Commander.. QDII is unstoppable in the snow, seating for 7 (rears are child only though really..) if all 7 seats are in use though you won't have a lot of extra storage space. Budget boost and some trimming fits 32", HEMI option for towing. Terrible on gas..

Singbush

Observer
Love my 02 Suburban. The only thing it can't do is drive past a gas station. Huge cargo area even with 3rd row installed, stone cold reliable and tons of aftermarket support. I did a small 3" lift with 295's on 17in wheels. Now it rides like a dream.

digitaldelay

Explorer
My Top 3 for your intended purposes:

3 - AWD Astro/Safari Van - compact, good on gas, bikes on hitch or roof, takes a bit of work to make off-road ready.
2 - Z71 Tahoe/Yukon - off-road ready
1 - Suburban/Yukon XL - slightly more unwieldy, but with 6 people you will need a lot of interior space.

Jason

hero97

What about a f250 with a 5.4 gas engine? It's got a large bench seat in front. How is the reliability?

Expedition Leader
When our five kids were all at home, we put up with three Suburbans (two of them brand new) before ditching them and buying a Sequoia. Best family vehicle ever; comfortable, quiet, powerful, good gas mileage (for a vehicle of its size). It has less luggage room behind the third-row seats than a Suburban, but the miserable (non) reliability of the Suburbans was not worth the extra room inside by any means.

tyler93

Observer
We just had our 4th child this week. We love our 80 series. Brute tough offroad, amazing in the snow and all terrains encountered. Sometimes I desire a pickup bed but can't stand the thought of losing my cruiser. For now we keep using our roof rack with a kirkhams bag.

I have a JK with two additional jump seats in the rear. Hauls my family of seven around fine. Use a roof rack or small trailer when needed.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Going down this route now with our 3rd turning up three weeks ago - along with my foster daughter that makes 6. Very small choice here in the UK

johnsoax

Adventurer
A 2004 Land Rover Discovery 7 seater would give you the seats. Especilly with your budget, you could fix all the annoying issues, and have a nice vehicle. I use my 95 sometimes with my wife and 3 kids (soon to be 4), but they are too small for serious off roading, especially with the sideways jump seats in the 3rd row.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12