what vehicle would you buy to replace fjz80

1morebike

Adventurer
i currently own an fjz80, its fully locked and has been a great rig. i'm going to sell my 80 for few reason and i'm looking to buy something to replace it. i would buy another 80 but im just looking to try something else. my needs are more for a weekend camping/expo rig. i don't want to put a 6inch lift on it and drive it over rocks till i break something. space is important to me. i'm looking at Montero 2.5 but i'm just wondering if there is anything else i should consider and why. oh and price maybe around six or seven thousand.

Tucan viajero

Adventurer
I got myself a 200 series and never looked back, even though I kept my latest 80 for a while, just in case.

Finally sold the 80, no regrets.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Toyota Tundra with a 4-wheel camper.

This. Unless you have a need for an SUV, a first gen Tundra can be built to a super versatile and comfy rig. Add a Four Wheel Camper and man, that is a comfy way to roll. But to really answer this, what are your needs? Long distance trips? Local weekend outings? How much size do you need?

bluedog

Adventurer
Can't go wrong with a gen 1 Tundra and F-150's are all over.

B.
Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

1morebike

Adventurer
@upcruiser i see your from the up. are you the up overland guy? also i'm selling my 80 because it came from Michigan and i owned it there and the rust is whats getting me. hows yours holding up?

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
@upcruiser i see your from the up. are you the up overland guy? also i'm selling my 80 because it came from Michigan and i owned it there and the rust is whats getting me. hows yours holding up?

Yeah I am. Mine is holding up well but I haven't driven it in a Michigan winter since around 2004. Its got a couple of spots on the rear hatch around the glass starting to bubble and the bottom of one door. The Midwest is cruel...... My previous FJ60 suffered a rusty death. kills me.

1morebike

Adventurer
Yeah I am. Mine is holding up well but I haven't driven it in a Michigan winter since around 2004. Its got a couple of spots on the rear hatch around the glass starting to bubble and the bottom of one door. The Midwest is cruel...... My previous FJ60 suffered a rusty death. kills me.

i have up overland sticker on my 80 from the previous owner, i think he did the trip he was traverse city. your smart to keep it out of the salt thats for sure. its funny living in washington i'm see cars that i haven't seen in years still on the road. an mid 80 toyota tercel comes to mind.

Danimal

Adventurer
i have up overland sticker on my 80 from the previous owner, i think he did the trip he was traverse city. your smart to keep it out of the salt thats for sure. its funny living in washington i'm see cars that i haven't seen in years still on the road. an mid 80 toyota tercel comes to mind.

Which is why I procured an 80 from Seattle, instead of around here in Indiana...

To the OP: a lot of suggestions here so far are great ones, but over your suggested price range. Without truly knowing your needs for ability, features, comfort, space, my suggestion is a 3rd gen 4Runner. Buy from out of state to avoid rust and drive it back home.

Loved my 4Runner, and still miss it quite a bit...

Dan

1morebike

Adventurer
i just saw a 1988 trooper out here wa. for $1700 it looked to be in great shape compared to the ones iv'e seen in the past, it got 200,000 but still might be fun. i need a vehical that i can throw two kayaks on and take out on some road trips. i need something that can get me through some rough stuff but like said im not rock crawling or any thing just fire roads and that type of thing. i do ike to drive one the beach and in sand when i get the chance. the wife and i would like something we could sleep in the back of.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
UZJ100...and fugetaboutit

I own both FZJ80 and UZJ100, the later is a very undervalued vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears