What winch line should I get?

Woodchuck

I need a new line for my Warn 9.5ti. I have a 2008 AEV Jeep Unlimited and mainly use the winch for self recovery when hunting (mud, etc..) and pulling out other vehicle stuck in the snow or mud. I do rock crawl but nothing so severe that I will be winching up over huge ledges or boulders.

I am torn between the Viking and the Master Pull XD lines. I like the coating the XD has but do I really need it (I am one of those that would rather have it just incase though). Also what size do you recommend. I know the 5/16 is strong enough but after reading most of the posts I think 3/8 might be a better choice if just for spoolong better.

I also need a new fairlead but an not sure if I like the hawse ones since alot of my pulls are to the side at whatever tree I am lucky enough to be by.

THANKS FOR THE ADVISE

mrchips

Adventurer
I use Masterpull and I have 5/16 as I get more line on the winch spool, as to what you would get with 3/8. I also have a 50 ft extension for different extractions set-ups. All the synthetic lines are good.
Also use a hawse fairlead, and have had no issues.

01tundra

Explorer
I need a new line for my Warn 9.5ti. I have a 2008 AEV Jeep Unlimited and mainly use the winch for self recovery when hunting (mud, etc..) and pulling out other vehicle stuck in the snow or mud. I do rock crawl but nothing so severe that I will be winching up over huge ledges or boulders.

I am torn between the Viking and the Master Pull XD lines. I like the coating the XD has but do I really need it (I am one of those that would rather have it just incase though). Also what size do you recommend. I know the 5/16 is strong enough but after reading most of the posts I think 3/8 might be a better choice if just for spoolong better.

I also need a new fairlead but an not sure if I like the hawse ones since alot of my pulls are to the side at whatever tree I am lucky enough to be by.

THANKS FOR THE ADVISE

I just ordered a new Master Pull XD rope (5/16" x 100') today to replace my Viking 3/8" x 100' rope. The MP price was a little hard to swallow, but their 5/16" rope is rated a lot higher than Viking's 3/8" rope. My Warn 9.5xp came with a 5/16" x 100' cable, so the Viking is a little too tight on there as well......and it's already been repaired once in the field - but that was more due to a composite fairlead failure. IMO the Viking did show a lot of premature wear & tear considering how meticulous I treat my winch ropes, so I'm looking forward to stepping up to what a lot of folks in the off-road industry consider the top dog. When you consider that I've been through two Amsteel Blue ropes in the past two years, I probably would have come out better in the long run by paying the extra $ for the MP rope in the first place.

Viking's hawse failead is a very good product IMO, I've had about five different faileads on my truck and the black Viking fairlead that I'm currently running is by far the nicest one. I'm considering throwing one of Master Pull's aluminum fairleads on my truck and seeing if my luck gets better with a complete new set up.

Last edited:

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
TRD Dallas and OK Off Road have a good prices on synthetic....5/16 is fine...get 100-125' ...yes it will all spool on fine (does on my M8000)....I use a roller fairlead and works fine. Get the extra 10' of rope cover for moving over fallen timbers, rocks etc. You will never look back!

Don't go cheap when your life may depend on it!

This is the best and remember, a winch is just like insurance, if you drive right, you will never need to use it.

Last edited:

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor

THANKS FOR THE ADVISE

The Superline and Superline XD series are the most advanced synthetic ropes on the market today. They are created by stretching and heating a larger diameter rope into a smaller line. This gives you the strength of a large rope, with the packaging of a smaller rope. Our 5/16ths inch Superline rope is rated to 21,000lbs, and the 3/8ths is rated to 26,500 lbs.

The Superline XD has the same inner core of Sk75 Dyneema Superline, but is given a tightly braided cover of the same Dyneema fiber. This cover helps to protect the Superline from the elements and also from abrasive dirt and grit. One of the hidden killers of synthetic ropes is dirt or grit working its way between the fibers and causing them to deteriorate on the inside of the rope, where it is not easily visible.

5/16ths Superline is strong enough for most vehicles, for anything larger then a H1 Hummer I like to recommend 3/8ths or larger Superline. As far as the fairleads go, you have a few options. Hawse fairleads are great if you are trying to save space and weight. I use one and haven't had any issues with the one that I run on my Jeep. Rollers can be used with synthetic as long as the rollers overlap in the corners. If you have any other questions let me know what I can do.

-Alex

01tundra

Explorer
I just installed a new 5/16" x 100' Master Pull XD rope on my Warn 9.5xp last night, can't wait to try it out.....er.....or maybe I can :)! With that braided cover it doesn't even feel like a rope, by appearance & feel alone I'd say it's pretty tough stuff.......but if anybody can tear up nice stuff it's me, so we'll see how it holds up :)!

MP1.jpg

MP3.jpg

MP2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle