What Would Make A Better Plaform: 90's F150 4x4 or 90's Chevy 1500 4x4

MalnarUSA

I have not found any relative comparison or builds on either platform. I know some of the debates already, TTB vs. IFS, 5.8 vs. 5.7, and so on. But I was hoping to find any input from fellow expeditioners who have built on one of these trucks or has just general mechanical experience with them. If possible pictures and build threads would be awesome! I appreciate any and all input or advice. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Cheers!

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
I would go for an obd2 ford 5.8 in a 150 or 250 variant. and thats from a gmc guy. It has been my experience that the fords from those years were stronger. i.e. wheel bearings, steering components etc. Solid front axle would be best IMO form the f250.

Jsut my .02

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
yup, ford all the way. I'm not a ford or chevy guy. More of a car, "in general", guy..haha.

I've concluded that in my opinion, mid-80's - early 90's chevy's are simply not there in the reliability department.

If those are your two choices, I'd definitely say the Ford. I've seen 4-5 fords of that vintage, two with 360's and two with the diesel 7.3L up close and personal in the last few months, and all of the owners (one is my dad) report no major issues and I swear the paint and interiors on all of them (other than the bed area) looked pretty much brand new with no noticable wear on the fabric or plastics.

The TTB front axle is a bit complicated in it's design, but other than some examples go through ball joints at an excellerated rate (probably due mostly to bigger tires and/or being lifted) they seem to do just fine, though I personally would rather go with a solid axle front if given the choice.

My dad's HAS had one issue with the technology used to switch between fuel tanks, but it was fixed very easy with the replacement of a solonoid, relay or whatever lets the system know what tank to choose. (Sorry, I forget the specifics of how the truck controls that duel tank supply)

MalnarUSA

Thanks for all the info. I was thinking probably a '95 F150 or '95 chevy. My pops is a GM guy, so he is a little biased. And my brother is a ford guy. Both are ASE mechanics. Im a little no morr partial to the ford personally. I wanted to get a ranger but im 6'5" so they are a little uncomfortable.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Any F150 in the '92-'96 era will be essentially the same. If you gat a 5 speed you will thank yourself!

Rot Box

Explorer
I vote Ford but thats coming from an I hate ALL american vehicles built after 1980ish guy :coffeedrink:

I like the GM TBI motors over (don't care for the vortecs) the Ford because I am more familiar with them--both run forever. GM wins on interior comfort and quality of the electronics, switches and relays. That said I believe the Ford has a stronger drivetrain especially with the 5 speed. While the TTB has its issues it holds up better than the idler/pitman/torsion bar front ends in the GM's. No question the rear 8.8 is stronger than the GM 10 bolt. 4L60E or 700R4.... Whatever the Ford auto was... Ugh... Bad memories.

THere's a million of each on the road still. Pick a clean one and enjoy it. If you get one with an auto trans add a HUGE aftermarket cooler and temp gauge. 99 out of 100 times they fail from head and neglect. You gain a LOT of strength in the drivetrain of both brands by going with a heavy 3/4-1Ton I'd keep that in mind :bike_rider:

bftank

Explorer
ditto^^^^ five speed with either the 4.9l straight six or the 5.8l. the straight six is a torquey son of a gun.

lstzephyr

wanderer
I would pick a ford just based on the ability to build it with lots of wheel travel for relatively cheap. I keep coming back to a prerunner type truck making way more sense for me than a leaf sprung 4wd like my current truck.

I have noticed in the junkyards that the cabs of that era ford are more solid than similar vintage gm trucks. I have also noticed the similar year dodge cabs are total crap! I think the fords small stuff will work better longer just from that observation.

MalnarUSA

lstzephyr- thats what I really like is the prerunner style for fords, especially 4x4. It definitely makes the truck alot more versatile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan