what would u do if u were in my situation

REDROVER

Explorer
so its kinda sad but i had to share, i was driving on Burbank blvd in southern calif, close to balboa park , its mid day about 103 very hot, and on the right side of the 3 lane street i see the newer land rover LR3 hood open and emergency light flashing, and this mid 30 young mother with her 2 kids are outside calling for help ,

i pulled over quickly got out of the truck and asked her if she needed any help, she told me she is calling her husband , and i also asked her to at least come with her kids get in my hummer with the air condition until the tow truck comes but i guess she was afraid i was some kind of crazy person and she refused, it was really sad to see those kids standing under the sun at 103 degree heat . i really didnt know what to do. to help , i looked under the hood , but everything is covered with this desiner made plastic

Eric

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
all you can do is offer.... I also agree with her and hope my wife wouldn't get in a strangers truck just because she was uncomfortable. In the end that is all the family was - uncomfortable - their life was in danger - other than being on the side of the road. I will stop for a woman with kids too, I once helped one who didn't have a cell phone to call for help. YMMV

REDROVER

Explorer
I agree with u guys I don't blame her for not getting in. But it was sad .i think if my gf was with me she would of felt more comfortable

Snagger

Explorer
During the snow that brought the UK to a standstill last winter, I offered a young woman who was walking between St Albans and Harpenden after having to abandon her car. I was actually very surprised when sho took up the offer, even though she was in tears with the cold. Most women are very wary of male strangers, and not without good reason. Then again, it's not unheard of for car jackings to be facilitated by a female gang member to pretend to be a damsel in distress to get a vehicle to pull over to offer help, only to be ambushed by the rrest of the gang, so the risk isn't just one way...

mrwizard

Adventurer
I'm with everyone else. You did exactly what you could/should. Maybe all you could do after that is go and get them some cold bottled water from a mini-mart and offer to wait with them. I wouldn't want my wife to get into another guy's truck, but I would also be super appreciative of anyone, male or female, who brought them water and offered to help how they could. Props man.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I remember one time...probably around 1980 or so. In the Valley, in August. Vanowen & Coldwater as I recall.

Some kid ran out in the street and got bumped by a car. The car was barely moving, but it knocked the kid down on the street.

A bunch of bystanders came running up, and one sweet helpful ************** lady told him, "DON'T MOVE! WAIT FOR THE AMBULANCE!"

Being certified in First Aid, and having seen the whole thing, I had pulled over and was just observing from across the street.

The kid started to get up - because, man, that blacktop street was HOT! He kept trying to get up, and this lady kept pushing him back down onto the freakin' frying pan. He was FIGHTING to get up, and she wouldn't let him up.

Well...just how bad can he be hurt if he's fighting this woman?

So I got out of my truck, fired up the parade ground voice and said, "HEY KID! CAN YOU STAND UP? GET YOUR BUTT OFF THAT HOT PAVEMENT AND LAY DOWN ON THE GRASS! DON'T JUST LAY THERE LIKE AN IDIOT AND BURN YOURSELF!"

Then the lady stopped shoving him back down on the frying pan and let him get up. He took two steps and layed down on the grass in the shade. Ambulance eventually showed, up. The kid was fine, except for the blisters on his calves and forearms from the hot street.

In my considered opinion - most people ain't too bright. Being helpful doesn't make 'em any brighter either.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Oh, and as for the OP, I doubt those kids were in any danger from the heat if they weren't doing anything strenuous. Not much to worry about.

Desert Dan

Explorer
Maybe she thought you wanted her to give you a hummer? LOL

I don't blame her for not wanting to get in a strangers car. I think I would have offered to help etc. or stand by till help arrived.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179